Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Business” backpack for 2 day trips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

“Business” backpack for 2 day trips

What would you recommend as a good looking and good quality business backpack with enough space to carry a 13” laptop and enough clothes for a 2-day business trip?

I’ve been considering the Everki Versa Premium, but any opinions on that and any good alternatives?

thanks!!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Welcome to FT.

I have been using a Red Oxx SkyTrain for about 10 years without any problem. Well worth it for the value over the years and I do a few flights each week.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I have an Everki Concept Premium and while it's a great laptop bag, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for traveling with clothes and such. It has a lot of organization and is really more designed to house and organize your computer/electronics/office stuff.

Looking at the Versa Premium, I suppose you can throw a packing cube or so in there, but I'd probably recommend something else before that.

Take a look at the Tom Bihn Tristar or Western Flyer. It's a backpack when you want, and then a briefcase if you want as well. Only downside is it's pretty expensive and you have to add your own laptop sleeve and organization. The upside to that is you can organize the interior however works best for you, and can be changed up depending on the trip.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by antichef
Welcome to FT.

I have been using a Red Oxx SkyTrain for about 10 years without any problem. Well worth it for the value over the years and I do a few flights each week.
How are the backpack straps when you have a heavy load?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by brp1264
How are the backpack straps when you have a heavy load?
Padded and very comfortable. I have never bothered with the over the shoulder claw strap because the straps are so useful. Regularly use it for a week on the road and carry lots of heavy papers, usually strapped into the rear compartment using the internal tie-down straps. Not even a trouble when worn over a suit!

I have the blue "Mariner". if you want to turn it into a "briefcase", you can tuck the straps into the smugglers pocket. It is very versatile.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:21 am

If carrying a laptop in the Sky Train, you will probably want to acquire a sleeve to offer a little more protection fior it. The adjustment of the shoulder straps when taking the pack on or off is very easy.. I have retired mine, however, as it makes me resemble a turtle when filled close to capacity. I now use the Ebags TLS Motherlode Weekender Junior. The shoulder straps aren’t the best, but it has an adjustable sling for your computer, a lot of organization, compression straps, and will easily hold clothes for a three-day trip. When not carrying a computer, I use the sling area to hold a15” shirt folder. Would also be good for file folders. You can also carry as a shoulder bag or briefcase style. If using as a shoulder bag, ditch the OEM shoulder strap & opt for an Absolute Strap or the Op-Tech SOS.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I have the versa premium and I would not recommend it for clothes. The interior has a divider which breaks up the space. Great for folders and other items (like my Bose headphones), but not designed for clothes. I would look at other options.

I suppose you could cut out the divider, but I wouldn't want to do that to a pricey bag unless you REALLY like the exterior aesthetic and other features.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:10 am

If you are a woman, I highly recommend a women's model backpack -- the shoulder straps are shaped for better fit and comfort around the bust. It makes a huge difference! (I thought it would be some marketing gimmick, but it isn't.) North Face and Eagle Creek both make women's versions of many of their backpack models.
tcl and Ukalady like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Markb1000
What would you recommend as a good looking and good quality business backpack with enough space to carry a 13” laptop and enough clothes for a 2-day business trip?

I’ve been considering the Everki Versa Premium, but any opinions on that and any good alternatives?

thanks!!
plenty of backpacks with that capacity and purpose.... good looking? well i dont think such a thing exists
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: LH M+M
I've a Tom Bihn Tri-Star for such purposes.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Not a backpack but I purchased this for my husband. It is truly beautiful! My husband says it is a breeze to carry. He gets very frequent compliments and "Where did you get that?!". Not an inexpensive bag but the quality and workmanship make it an incredible bargain. He's gone weekly for 2-3 days per trip, I just have his shirts folded instead of hung when I take them to the dry cleaner. Google Mission Mercantile and look for the Heritage Stateroom Weekender. They do have a stunning backpack called the Theodore that would work for your laptop but I don't have any experience with it.

HERITAGE STATEROOM WEEKENDER
ChuckBowen likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:37 am

Thumbs up Thanks for your kind words about Mission Mercantile!

Hi Hipquest -

Thanks so much for your very complimentary words about our Stateroom Weekender and Theodore Backpack! We're delighted that you love our leather goods. Please let me know if there's anything we can ever do to delight you even more.

FYI, my wife and I are from GA too.

Chuck
CEO Mission Mercantile
[email protected]
210-392-5411
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:06 am

Chuck, Welcome to FT ^
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:31 am

Hipquest, a lovely bag but not what this OP is asking for! As with many things cost/durability/budget come into play. I would probably take that bag for a weekend away in my Rolls Royce, but not for my weekly commute to London

The request was for a backpack and the OP was proposing a pack that costs £175 (about $228) tax paid and delivered. I suggested a pack that I imported from the US on the basis of recommendations here some years ago that currently costs $285.

Your very lovely bag is in a different magnitude. Shipping taxes and import duty alone to get it to the OP are going to be over $100, before he pays the $495 purchase cost!

Unfortunately, as the OP was a first time poster on 15 October and who has not had any site activity since that date so we may never know what they finally decided ....
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:59 pm

Thanks @antichef, nice being here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.