Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Are checkpoint friendly bags now dead?

Old Oct 11, 18, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LAS -- new screening machines since the last time I flew. Everything goes in bins, this precludes laying a checkpoint friendly bag open and thus the laptop has to come out anyway.

Just our airport or did TSA effectively kill them?
Old Oct 11, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I've been seeing more and more of those bins lately. Checkpoint bags aside, they are a pretty crappy system.

I was maybe 50/50 with TSA or other security accepting my checkpoint bag through the scanner w/o taking my laptop out. Now with these bins, it's pretty much not worth it to look for checkpoint friendly only bags.

That being said, with TSA Precheck, I don't really care about checkpoint friendly anyway most of the time.
Old Oct 12, 18, 1:02 am

Excellent news. Maybe now bag designers will stop trying to build this pointless feature into every bag.
Old Oct 12, 18, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nigel_USA View Post
Excellent news. Maybe now bag designers will stop trying to build this pointless feature into every bag.
On the contrary, I'd say that it is a useful feature. I have a colleague who explicitly bought a checkpoint friendly bag after leaving her laptop at security once. It also lessens the likelihood of theft or damage at a checkpoint if you never remove it from the bag. I've witnessed someone drop their laptop when grabbing it off the conveyor belt to put it back in his bag.
Old Oct 12, 18, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nigel_USA View Post
When it worked it was a useful feature.
Old Oct 12, 18, 7:32 pm

First time for me, I just had to pull out all of my computing devices (Surface and tablet) at TPA. I have Precheck so I was surprised.
Old Oct 13, 18, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Airport Runner View Post
First time for me, I just had to pull out all of my computing devices (Surface and tablet) at TPA. I have Precheck so I was surprised.
Just had the same thing happen to me. Have global entry and pre-check, was in pre-check lane and didn't set anything off. Had to remove my laptop, kindle, and cellphone from my carryon to be checked. Wonder if they are increasing random screening of electronics.
Old Oct 14, 18, 6:29 pm

I usually have to pull both laptop and tablet out of my bag, but at least with a butterfly bag I can leave everything else in it (charger, NC headphones, power bank) and not have to deal with the hassle of pulling them out and then stuffing them back in while worrying that I was going to miss something.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: