Wiki Posts
Search

The 5 backpack must haves

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok, I get flip flops now.

Regarding the amenity kit thing, many airlines also offer slippers with the kits.
Haven’t been in Y much, have you? Even when they are featured they are the disposable type and soak up urine like a sponge.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by LapLap
Haven’t been in Y much, have you? Even when they are featured they are the disposable type and soak up urine like a sponge.
Have I been in Y much? Nope.

The slippers I've received have been just fine... but then again the lavs I've used so far don't have sopping wet floors to soak up all that nastiness you allude to.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Have I been in Y much? Nope.

The slippers I've received have been just fine... but then again the lavs I've used so far don't have sopping wet floors to soak up all that nastiness you allude to.
You seem to be straying rather far from the premise of the thread.

This wasn’t about essential items for a Rimowa or Tumi case, but backpack must haves, aimed mostly for us in cattle class - time rich and money poor.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
You seem to be straying rather far from the premise of the thread.

This wasn’t about essential items for a Rimowa or Tumi case, but backpack must haves, aimed mostly for us in cattle class - time rich and money poor.
I'm only responding to your posts. There is no intention for derailing.
I simply queried as to why the flip flops, which you explained quite well, including a comment about amenity kit socks, which prompted my reply to add that some kits have slippers.
I've never had use for flip flops when traveling (ok I lied...one time I bought a pair in El Salvador before going to the beach), hence the genuine question.

This is no different than the poster upthread querying the usefulness of a platypus.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah. No difference at all.
fatmenace likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*cough*

ANYWAY... I'm +1 with @chipmaster and @bballdad175

I've never had a need for flip flops or platypuses, but to each their own.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
After some heavy travel over two years my take on this list.

1) Water bottle, dropped takes space and never felt there wasn’t clean water to be had, I ain’t traveling into a desert. On airplanes find water ample and available

2). Wipes, though I’d used them, still in their sealed container

3) tissue, lost count on how many packages used

4). USB battery for phone, never fear or look for an outlet in my travels

5). Comfortable shoes that can do double duty as day wear and travel wear. The thought of flip flops and the dirt they pick up and drag from airplane lavatory to hotel is nasty. BYW my shoes never get past the first few feet of my hotel door entrance.
Originally Posted by bballdad175
+1

I agree almost exactly with what was said here. I feel that these travelers surveyed must just be vacationers or something. I do think some bandaids are useful so I carry those, but not a full medical kit!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flip flops are easily washed and sterilised.
Bag them in the plane, clean/disinfect them in your lodging, get rid of the bag.

I hear they are of use for affluent, elite types too; one can’t always count on a Forbes Magazine to be lying around handy when the need for a little corporate punishment arises.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flip flops are easily washed and sterilised.
Bag them in the plane, clean/disinfect them in your lodging, get rid of the bag.

I hear they are of use for affluent, elite types too; one can’t always count on a Forbes Magazine to be lying around handy when the need for a little corporate punishment arises.
Oh absolutely. In fact, I've seen all walks of life wear flip flops.
Even flips flops for dogs (said dogs may or may not be affluent, and most likely their flip flops were packed by their owner into a backpack).

Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Antibacterial hand gel, personal lubricant, pen, external battery pack, toilet paper.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
extra hotel keycard for those rooms where the power goes off when you pull out your key card and you want the AC to stay on.
You just need to put one of your business cards in the slot
tcl and bitterproffit like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
You just need to put one of your business cards in the slot
I don't have a job that requires business cards. But good to know as I sometimes accumulate other biz cards. Or grab one from the hotel management because they are usually at the desk.

I have a Conrad room key so I can pretend I am staying in a nicer room.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta Airlines
1. Bose Headphones
2. Scented Eye masks for those long flights
3. Disinfected wipes
4. Hand sanitizer
5. Powerbank
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Instead of flip flops I use NuFoot Booties. Don't take up much space, easy to put on over socks (on the plane), can keep your feet warm on the plane or in the room.

In addition: Dream essentials sleep mask (eyelash cutouts), Sony NC headphones (was Bose), hand sanitizer and power bank.
freecia likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:40 am

+ travel pillow, for neck comfort and travel blanket to keep you warm.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:05 pm
Suspended

1. Water bottle which maintain the cooing
2. USB power bank to charge phone
3. Dslr camera for photography
4. Medical kit in case of injury or illness
5. Wet wipes in case no water or save water

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.