Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Alu 45 Liter and Rimowa Cabin Plus

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa Alu 45 Liter and Rimowa Cabin Plus

Quick question for the experts: is the Rimowa Alu 45 liter pretty much a predecessor of the Rimowa Cabin Plus. It looks like their measurements are almost exact. For the Rimowa Alu I have it at 17.7x22x9.8 and the Cabin Plus at 17.8x22.1x9.9

Would I be able to use the Rimowa Alu 45L as a carry on for transatlantic flights on United or Lufthansa? I like the extra size but if I have to check this piece a lot then I would wave off on buying it.
Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: M/M
The Lufthansa RIMOWA Alu 45L is the special edition version of RIMOWA's previous generation Topas Multiwheel 45L. The RIMOWA Cabin Plus is the latest generation of the the current collection.

The RIMOWA Cabin Plus comes in at 57 x 44 x 22.5 cm; Lufthansa RIMOWA Alu 45L comes in at 56 x 45 x 25 cm

United carry-on limit is 56 x 35 x 22 cm.

Lufthansa is 55 x 40 x 23 cm.

The Cabin Plus, or Lufthansa Alu 45L are both in excess of each carrier's stated carry-on dimensions.

However, you will find plenty of FT members have had varying degrees of success in taking this item on-board aircraft.

You will have better luck at newer aircraft with updated overhead storage bins to take the 45L onboard, if you can get it past the gate agent.

If you are traveling domestic or older aircraft, the 45L will risk being gate checked due to being oversized.

Your call.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

I’ll save myself future angst and go with a tried and true 34L Rimowa Lufthansa Aluminum ....
thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

I’ll save myself future angst and go with a tried and true 34L Rimowa Lufthansa Aluminum ....
thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

I’d be interested....

To hear about other posters success at getting these 45L carry ons aboard International flights. I am starting to think I might take the plunge on it after all ... I fly United mostly out of Tampa connecting through Newark to Germany and LH from Frankfurt to Tampa.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mailman44
To hear about other posters success at getting these 45L carry ons aboard International flights. I am starting to think I might take the plunge on it after all ... I fly United mostly out of Tampa connecting through Newark to Germany and LH from Frankfurt to Tampa.
I am one of the RIMOWA 45L users and yet to be gate checked, however I only fly nonstop out of Detroit to Seoul, Frankfurt, London, Amsterdam . Please note the key word for me is nonstop out of USA and not making a USA connection like you say you are doing. I do not have any experience with what you quoted here..
Mailman44 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

So ...

Thanks! How about on domestic US flights between major cities? I really want to get the 45L Lufthansa Alu but I don’t want to have to check it a lot. Really Hard decision for me to make but I wonder if your carry on gets more scrutiny if you do not check a bag? I always get a free checked bag so maybe I should just go with the 34L .... out of curiosity do you just take the 45L on board or do you also take a personal item? How many suits do you usually pack in the 45L?
Old May 6, 2019, 10:32 pm

I really don't understand why they market the 45L as "CABIN" plus when I can't seem to find an airline that officially allows those dimensions for cabin baggage. What is the rationale?
Old May 17, 2019, 4:40 am

I just pulled the trigger on the Cabin Plus with the latest AmEx offer. I usually fly up front, but often domestically or on short-haul, narrow-body international. I’ll report back. Slightly nervous but hoping with the some of the retrofits, I’ll be able to get it up overhead without too much drama.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:58 pm

Confirming my previous post...I’m on the 8th and final segment of a 9 day, 13K mile trip that had me on A319s, 738, 782, Embraer 75 regional jets and an A321. I have had absolutely no problem getting the back into the overhead of all fo them - including the RJ. It is slightly wider than “official” rules but the depth (22”) is the most important stat as it will fit in the bins.

Fly happily!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Originally Posted by billycwhatup

Confirming my previous post...I’m on the 8th and final segment of a 9 day, 13K mile trip that had me on A319s, 738, 782, Embraer 75 regional jets and an A321. I have had absolutely no problem getting the back into the overhead of all fo them - including the RJ. It is slightly wider than “official” rules but the depth (22”) is the most important stat as it will fit in the bins.

Fly happily!
Just saw your thread. I just purchased ( still waiting for mine to arrive ) the cabin plus aluminum. I keep thinking I made a mistake. I fly delta and normally up front on the a319,320,321 occasionally the 757 ,767 and a330. I was debating on returning it for the the regular cabin size. So are you having any trouble with the plus size fitting it? Any issues with gate agents ect ?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by scott56
Just saw your thread. I just purchased ( still waiting for mine to arrive ) the cabin plus aluminum. I keep thinking I made a mistake. I fly delta and normally up front on the a319,320,321 occasionally the 757 ,767 and a330. I was debating on returning it for the the regular cabin size. So are you having any trouble with the plus size fitting it? Any issues with gate agents ect ?
I’ve had the 45 l cabin plus for several months. I carry it on most of my business flights. So far no issues. I fly Alaska though, not delta
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Originally Posted by SLC_IAH
I’ve had the 45 l cabin plus for several months. I carry it on most of my business flights. So far no issues. I fly Alaska though, not delta
thats good. No problems with the overhead closing because of the with? Which aircraft? I’m mostly on the a319,320 and 321. Sometimes the 767 and a330 for transcontinental and international.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: United
It’s not much longer just mainly wider. Experience is mainly 737s.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:30 am

billycwhatup do you fly up front 100% of the time? wondering if the agents are letting yours through cause of your ticket class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.