FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   travel blanket? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1933741-travel-blanket.html)

rsqrott Oct 3, 18 12:23 pm

travel blanket?

I am looking for a merino wool travel blanket to keep in my carry on. Specifically merino wool because it is lightweight, warm and not itchy. I have seen both the Parachute and the Madewell versions with eye mask but I think they're both pricey for what they are (and I have no use for the eye mask).
Can anyone offer any suggestions?

freecia Oct 3, 18 1:28 pm

You might want to check under "merino blanket scarf". It should be large enough to use as a travel blanket.

I use a Montbell Down Throw S which has snaps to wear as a shawl or "reverse shawl" (bib style so it won't slide off in flight). There's also a medium size which weighs less than 7 oz.

Costco also restocked their down throws https://www.costco.com/Double-Black-...100314979.html and I saw singles in my local Costco two weeks ago. It is larger than the Montbell Down Throw M & doesn't have snaps but also a good bit less expensive.

LtKernelPanic Oct 3, 18 11:18 pm

I've considered getting a micro-fleece throw or even twin size blanket and putting it in a space bag for when I travel. The only problem with the space bag is if you're somewhere you don't have access to a vacuum to get the air out of the bag when you're ready to repack. I've used one of them on my bed for years and it's kept me plenty warm even on the coldest winter nights.

rsqrott Oct 4, 18 5:17 am

Originally Posted by freecia (Post 30275321)
You might want to check under "merino blanket scarf". It should be large enough to use as a travel blanket.

This is a good idea, I was hoping to avoid anything with fringe and anything "wrap" or "scarf" seems to have them.

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic (Post 30276874)
I've considered getting a micro-fleece throw or even twin size blanket and putting it in a space bag for when I travel.

Another good idea. My concern with fleece is the static, which I seem to attract like a lightning rod. For some reason static isn't an issue with merino wool. Also, the merino is light enough to fold up incredibly small without the need for a space bag.

But I do appreciate the suggestions. If anyone is interested Madewell is running a sale right now where their blanket/eye mask combo comes out to $104. I'm still hoping for a cheaper alternative.

Hoyaheel Oct 4, 18 11:44 am

I have the costco down throw at home - I love - it's usually more than I need for travel though. My travel blanket is coolmax, I've had for ages and can't actually remember where I got it -Magellan's or Travelsmith, for around $40. has them though. For regular travel, this lightweight option has been fine (I esp love it for wrapping up on the couch of an apt rental while drinking my wine at night ;-)

Hoyaheel Oct 4, 18 11:46 am

Also, I haven't looked specifically, but it seems this might be a good item to check for on etsy? Might be able to find a small manufacturer who makes a blanket scarf but could prepare without fringe, for instance?

tcl Oct 4, 18 3:43 pm

Try Costco, TJ Maxx, Marshall's or Century 21 and look for scarves, shawls and ponchos. Some ponchos are modified shawls and can be converted back by letting out the seams.

Also, is this blanket to be used on the plane or at your destination and how big does it need to be? I have the Costco down throw that I have cut up and sewn into smaller pieces. The smaller pieces also squish up smaller.

DragonSoul Oct 4, 18 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic (Post 30276874)
I've considered getting a micro-fleece throw or even twin size blanket and putting it in a space bag for when I travel. The only problem with the space bag is if you're somewhere you don't have access to a vacuum to get the air out of the bag when you're ready to repack. I've used one of them on my bed for years and it's kept me plenty warm even on the coldest winter nights.

You can get "squeezable" vacuum bags. Even Ikea sells/sold them.

DragonSoul Oct 4, 18 8:35 pm

If you find yourself in the UK (or are willing to spend 25 for shipping), there's the Rohan Extrafine Merino travel blanket at 59 (US$80): https://www.rohan.co.uk/essential-tr...Travel-Blanket

I carry an extra large extrafine merino cardigan from Uniqlo, which is about US$25. Seemed a cheaper option than a purpose-made item, although obviously it doesn't completely wrap like a blanket does.

rsqrott Oct 5, 18 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 30278863)
My travel blanket is coolmax, I've had for ages and can't actually remember where I got it -Magellan's or Travelsmith, for around $40. Amazon has them though. For regular travel, this lightweight option has been fine (I esp love it for wrapping up on the couch of an apt rental while drinking my wine at night ;-)

This sounds so civilized!

Originally Posted by tcl (Post 30279754)
Try Costco, TJ Maxx, Marshall's or Century 21 and look for scarves, shawls and ponchos. Some ponchos are modified shawls and can be converted back by letting out the seams.

Also, is this blanket to be used on the plane or at your destination and how big does it need to be? I have the Costco down throw that I have cut up and sewn into smaller pieces. The smaller pieces also squish up smaller.

I've been checking TJ Maxx and C21 hoping that I could turn something up. No luck yet. Now that it's gotten cooler I've been thinking about it more and more. I'm looking for something primarily to use on the plane.

It's funny but I had found a lovely merino hooded cardigan/wrap wrap at TJ Maxx a few years ago that I had been wrapping myself in when I fly (but could only cover arms or legs, never both). But I basically only used it on the plane. That's what led me towards the blanket idea. When I fist started flying more I'd read the threads and thing "why would I clutter up my bag with my own blanket?" And now, after a few years of FT tenure my onboard purse isn't bulging at the seams with useless items and ther's plenty of room for a small travel blanket. Plus I've realized that having a little bit of comfort on the plane makes the journey better.

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 30280512)
If you find yourself in the UK (or are willing to spend 25 for shipping), there's the Rohan Extrafine Merino travel blanket at 59 (US$80): https://www.rohan.co.uk/essential-tr...Travel-Blanket

I carry an extra large extrafine merino cardigan from Uniqlo, which is about US$25. Seemed a cheaper option than a purpose-made item, although obviously it doesn't completely wrap like a blanket does.

Uniqlo! I can't believe that I forgot to check them out. I grab basics from them all of the time and those cardigans are lovely. I wonder if they'll do scarves or blankets this year? The cardigans aren't quite enough.
And I'll keep the Rohan in mind when I'm next in the UK.

I knew there had to be more options out there. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Hoyaheel Oct 5, 18 9:53 am

Uniqlo merino is on sale right now, with free shipping, if you (like me) don't live near a store ;-)

Also, I think the Costco down throw is on sale this month. It's definitely in the store. But online I've only seen the 2 pack. Ah well. I'm keeping my eye out now ;-)

rsqrott Oct 5, 18 12:15 pm

Well I have just purchased a travel blanket's worth of merino turtlenecks from Uniqlo:eek:. Thanks hoyaheel!

LtKernelPanic Oct 5, 18 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 30280480)
You can get "squeezable" vacuum bags. Even Ikea sells/sold them.

Interesting. I didn't know those existed. No Ikea near me but I'll check around and if nothing else I'm sure the usual online places will have them.

Hoyaheel Oct 6, 18 6:31 am

Oh, Walmart & drug stores (and of course, Amazon ;-) or Container Store or.....You can find those squeezable packing bags all over the place. Ziploc even makes some (no vacuum required).

klew97 Oct 6, 18 10:19 pm

Consider looking into sleeping bag liners made of merino wool, they usually come with a stuff sack or could possibly be butterflied open or cut into more than one piece.