Community
Wiki Posts
Search

travel blanket?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by rsqrott
The nylon/down just doesn't appeal to me but I definitely can see the appeal, especially as a dampness barrier when being used outside (I hope I never need a dampness barrier on a plane) I thought this was going to be easy!
Nylon is more snag resistant (that velcro, again, or zippers). It also survives a small beverage incident better than my woolen knits.

My advice as a knitter for animal fiber scarves under $150 to use as travel blanket - Look for nice tight knit instead of a woven fabric. Bonus if it is blended with bit of nylon for durability. Bargain tissue weight scarf can be a fluffy shed prone yarn in a loose woven fabric which is more snag prone and the material cost is lower than a tighter weave or knit. I suspect the Halogen scarf is such an item based on how transparent it looks. Good tight woven fabrics also exist in this price range but harder to find and online photos don't always make it easy to spot.
https://www.dutchlabelshop.com/blog/...-woven-fabric/

Example of less durable loose weave with fluffy fiber with closeup photo in gray: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/cashmer...efault&start=2
tcl, Hoyaheel and rsqrott like this.

Last edited by freecia; Oct 23, 2019 at 1:08 am Reason: shred-> shed
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:57 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I have several wraps, shawls and blankets, including a modified Costco throw, that I use in rotation. While I would like to bring my softest and fluffiest full-sized throw, it is usually not practical to do so. The items I have with me most often are ones that pack up small: a pashmina, a wool "pashmina", a large wool square, or a large silk square. If I am traveling to somewhere excessively hot and humid, I might use a fine cotton square that can double as a cover-up. In recent years, I have also grown quite attached to my Uniqlo ultralight down coat. I use it as an additional layering piece under another coat to add warmth or by itself. On planes and trains, I use it as a blanket.

Despite having quite a collection, I am still searching for the holy grail of silk/cashmere/wool scarves/blankets.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by freecia
Bargain tissue weight scarf can be a fluffy shed prone yarn in a loose woven fabric which is more snag prone and the material cost is lower than a tighter weave or knit. I suspect the Halogen scarf is such an item based on how transparent it looks.
Absolutely, But on the other hand, I wanted something lightweight, which I got. So.....[I have other much denser scarves and wraps as well - but I run hot AND I live in the South now, so....All I brought with me from New England and Utah or inherited from my mother mostly sits in the cedar chest, unless I feel like packing it on a cold weather trip....]

The down alternative blanket on sale at Costco now will be a nice addition for relaxing on the porch - does block the wind far better than the fleece & cotton throws, is a nice size (covers shoulders to toes!) and has a stuff sack as well. For $12.99, we're happy :-) I think the size in the stuff sack is about the same size as the coolmax blanket I travel with (when I decide to travel with a blanket) though I'm not sure I'd use it on a plane - a little bulky and slippery....
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:25 pm

Hoyaheel How does the down alternative blanket compare to the real down blanket Costco used to sell? I've always found the down alternative stuff to not breathe as well as real down, but am always curious.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:11 am

I haven't used both extensively yet, but my husband did use both over the weekend so I asked his experience:

They both work well. I think the down is a bit lighter but the synthetic insulation seems to be more evenly distributed in the blanket. I've not had any issues with "breathing" with either blanket.

Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:39 am

Oooh, found a new one for you! Not cheap ;-) https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail...rectangle.html

I was introduced to Outlier by flyertalk a few years back - got some fabulous water resistant pants for my husband. Haven't tried any of their stuff for women. I know they're really into their fabric quality.....
rsqrott likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Oooh, found a new one for you! Not cheap ;-)
I like that the item name states it is an Expensive Rectangle. Already sold out so the price isn't shown. How much was it?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:54 pm

Darn! It was $248 or $268 or something in the mid $200s. So, expensive, but not "Neiman Marcus Christmas Catalog" crazy ;-)
freecia likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Oooh, found a new one for you! Not cheap ;-) https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail...rectangle.html

I was introduced to Outlier by flyertalk a few years back - got some fabulous water resistant pants for my husband. Haven't tried any of their stuff for women. I know they're really into their fabric quality.....
Expensive Rectangle! Truth in advertising...but it looks cozy.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

An update on blanket quest:

Originally Posted by stan1162
86" X 30" Cashmere Scarf/Wrap 99 bucks on sale Macys:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...CABEgLTb_D_BwE
Current on sale for 69.99. It went down to 49.99 before Christmas. Did I buy it then...no...sigh.

But, during my pre Christmas Outlet shopping I came across this (well similar to this):
https://www.cosstores.com/en_usd/men...730437003.html

I found a version of this at the COS outlet in a deep, cranberry red with slight flecks of black. While it's more scarf than blanket the cashmere is extremely thick and luscious feeling. It's smaller than the Macy's wrap measuring 68"x 20" to the Macy's 86"x30".
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Success! I have found this:
Halogen cashmere wrap

It's cashmere, not merino but it is soft and lightweight. 48"x60", about the size of the usual airline blanket and weighs practically nothing. It works as a wrap, I can fold it lengthwise and turn it into a scarf. Currently on sale for $33.
I can curl up under it while at home for now.
freecia and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:14 pm

Why not use those supplied?

I'm wondering why getting a travel blanket if long haul flights usually supply them. Are you also cold on short flights? It's something I had never considered...
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:03 pm

Because they're nasty and who knows the last time they've actually been washed.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelFred
I'm wondering why getting a travel blanket if long haul flights usually supply them. Are you also cold on short flights? It's something I had never considered...
Flying in the age of Covid might answer this for itself but in my specific case I do tend to get cold on short haul flights. Honestly nothing I would ever have considered either, until I started flying more.

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Because they're nasty and who knows the last time they've actually been washed.
Well yes, and this too

But there have been times, flight delays, long waits at the gate, etc where a light blanket would be nice.

Granted I haven't flown since I purchased the Halogen wrap...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.