travel blanket?

Old Feb 17, 19, 7:19 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MEM
Posts: 624
How about cashmere... The Garnet Hill one is wider. Sierra Trading looks "chunkier". I find most wool itchy, but never have a problem with cashmere.

https://www.garnethill.com/cashmere-...4?listIndex=28

https://www.sierra.com/portolano-cab...F#specsSection
stan1162 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 1:21 pm
  #32  
tcl
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Posts: 1,061
If anyone is still looking, Uniqlo's cashmere stole is back in stock.
Hoyaheel and KristenNix like this.
tcl is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 10:35 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 679
Originally Posted by rsqrott View Post
I am looking for a merino wool travel blanket to keep in my carry on. Specifically merino wool because it is lightweight, warm and not itchy. I have seen both the Parachute and the Madewell versions with eye mask but I think they're both pricey for what they are (and I have no use for the eye mask).
Can anyone offer any suggestions?
I know you indicated you don't want anything with fringe, but if you or anyone else would want something that would be a lot more versatile than just a travel blanket, I would suggest one of these:

Turkish Towels Turkish Towels

I use it as a wrap/shawl while in transit mode, as a full coverage blanket on the plane, a full body covering towel in hotels that don't have a robe, as a sofa chair cover or blanket while sitting at the hotel room computer desk. Many purposes. It rolls up small. I never travel without it. Best of all it dries exceptionally fast.

Good luck in your search.
Global Adventurer is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 1:03 pm
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: JFK
Posts: 324
It's nice to see that blanket time has come around again. I have been using the Uniqlo cashmere "stole" because it folds up so small. It really doesn't work as a blanket but it does work nicely as a wrap. There never seems to be enough room in my carry on for the Madewell blanket but I've been streamlining what I carry on so maybe I'll bring it along for my next flight as we turn towards cold.
However, the pouch that the Madewell blanket came in goes on every trip with me. It is a lovely, stretchy shape and is perfect for isolating items in my bag.
I did go and take a look at the Lululemon Vinyasa. Too narrow and I just don't like the fabrics. Plus the snaps...I guess I'm just a blanket purist. There must be some blanket related issues in my childhood that I've buried deep.
Global Adventurer, the towel idea is interesting. But it's not the "feel" that I'm going for in a blanket.
Stan1162, I was stalking a Portolano blanket at Bloomingdales. They're just so expensive.

It's interesting to see what everyone likes and doesn't like in a travel blanket!
Hoyaheel likes this.
rsqrott is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 6:53 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
Posts: 2,043
Vermont Country Store has a nice looking washable merino blanket - doesn't come in a throw size, alas! https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/.../product/62982
Hoyaheel is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 7:08 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MEM
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by rsqrott View Post
It's nice to see that blanket time has come around again. I have been using the Uniqlo cashmere "stole" because it folds up so small. It really doesn't work as a blanket but it does work nicely as a wrap. There never seems to be enough room in my carry on for the Madewell blanket but I've been streamlining what I carry on so maybe I'll bring it along for my next flight as we turn towards cold.
However, the pouch that the Madewell blanket came in goes on every trip with me. It is a lovely, stretchy shape and is perfect for isolating items in my bag.
I did go and take a look at the Lululemon Vinyasa. Too narrow and I just don't like the fabrics. Plus the snaps...I guess I'm just a blanket purist. There must be some blanket related issues in my childhood that I've buried deep.
Global Adventurer, the towel idea is interesting. But it's not the "feel" that I'm going for in a blanket.
Stan1162, I was stalking a Portolano blanket at Bloomingdales. They're just so expensive.

It's interesting to see what everyone likes and doesn't like in a travel blanket!
86" X 30" Cashmere Scarf/Wrap 99 bucks on sale Macys:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...CABEgLTb_D_BwE
stan1162 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 7:38 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 679
That's a nice looking scarf. Something, I may consider purchasing myself.

FYI - AMEX has a current offer for Macy's - $15 off $75 purchase online or in store on selected amex cards. Expires 1/20/2020
Global Adventurer is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:18 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 408
Figured I'd share this. Just stumbled onto this recently. It's not their first product, but ymmv with any Indiegogo. Supposed to start shipping in November:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...the-layover/#/
PackingIt is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 1:49 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,761
Montbell updated their down travel blanket with a snap pocket. Mine's still holding up well. I store it folded at the bottom of my backpack/personal item in a delicates wash bag when traveling. It conforms to available space better this way.
Small https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1121336
Medium https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1121337
freecia is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 6:45 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
Posts: 2,043
I bought the Halogen lightweight cashmere scarf last year during the Anniv sale - $98 https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen...-scarf/4877171

54X58. Super soft. QUICK to develop holes, alas. I still use it. I'm less than crafty when it comes to fiber arts so I haven't figured out any fun things I can do to fix the holes.....(others do! I just lack skill!!)
Hoyaheel is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:42 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere in Florida
Posts: 2,104
I picked up a Double Black Diamond packable down throw from Costco when I was in Anchorage last year. Sku#638823. $23. I've never seen them in the Costcos down south, but it's phenomenal. Warm but still breathes, packs up very compactly.
tcl likes this.
KRSW is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:25 am
  #42  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: JFK
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by stan1162 View Post
86" X 30" Cashmere Scarf/Wrap 99 bucks on sale Macys:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...CABEgLTb_D_BwE
No longer on sale but as we loom closer to the holidays I'm sure it will be again (plus...it's Macys). It's a smidge bigger than the Uniqlo stole but Charter Club cashmere would likely be thicker.
Combine that with the Amex coupon that Global Adventurer mentions and it's definitely something I'll be keeping an eye on. Thanks Stan1162!

All this fuss about a blanket and I still can't manage to sleep on a plane
Hoyaheel likes this.
rsqrott is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:31 am
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: JFK
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
Vermont Country Store has a nice looking washable merino blanket - doesn't come in a throw size, alas! https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/.../product/62982
Sold out. It looks like we're generating a lot of blanket related business.

Originally Posted by PackingIt View Post
Figured I'd share this. Just stumbled onto this recently. It's not their first product, but ymmv with any Indiegogo. Supposed to start shipping in November:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...the-layover/#/
Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
I picked up a Double Black Diamond packable down throw from Costco when I was in Anchorage last year. Sku#638823. $23. I've never seen them in the Costcos down south, but it's phenomenal. Warm but still breathes, packs up very compactly.
The nylon/down just doesn't appeal to me but I definitely can see the appeal, especially as a dampness barrier when being used outside (I hope I never need a dampness barrier on a plane) I thought this was going to be easy!
Hoyaheel likes this.
rsqrott is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:40 am
  #44  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: JFK
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
I bought the Halogen lightweight cashmere scarf last year during the Anniv sale - $98 https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen...-scarf/4877171

54X58. Super soft. QUICK to develop holes, alas. I still use it. I'm less than crafty when it comes to fiber arts so I haven't figured out any fun things I can do to fix the holes.....(others do! I just lack skill!!)
This is frustrating. It's cashmere and it's a scarf, it should be able to remain intact. Maybe the thinness of the yarn has something to do with it.
Now that I think about it I have several pairs of merino wool tights that I have in constant rotation once it gets cold. These have held up for years without a pull or a hole. Made by Woolford, who also makes clothing and wraps.
I have seen and coveted this but it's too pricey, even at the outlet:
https://www.wolfordshop.com/outlet/a...080_color=7005

and there's a non wool version
https://www.wolfordshop.com/outlet/a...iABEgLcFvD_BwE
rsqrott is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 10:12 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
Posts: 2,043
I have the down throw from Costco from a few years ago - it's great for sitting on the porch this time of year, since most of our throws are fleece (safe with the cat ;-), or cotton - the nylon helps with the wind. So much so that I need to pick up another for my husband ;-) Right now our Costco (NC) has the down alternative Eddie Bauer option - I'll buy that and see if it has the same windbreaker attributes.....
Hoyaheel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: