Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Filson luggage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Question Thoughts on Filson luggage

Just came across a deal I reposted in the SPAM section, anyone have any experiences with Filson? Read about them online and they seem high quality, trying to choose between either the carry-on or the large rolling duffle. The deal is too good to pass up, the large rolling duffle looks like the better deal but I may just have to go with both?

they want $395 for the carry on marked down from 625
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Filson...p/11070323.htm

or $300 for the bigger large rolling duffle bag marked down from $695
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Filson...p/11070375.htm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: *G
They exchanged ownership some years ago and the criticism is that it has resulted in (as is typical) lower quality of manufacture. e.g. using thinner canvas materials.

The listed weight nominally sounds appropriate for those luggage class. I have duffel and shoulder bags from them , pre-exchange, and they're quite heavy and uncomfortable from a usability perspective. The zippers are also extremely beefy which is good for durability but have sharp edges that catch and cut.

Love the styling though.
cowculator likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I agree with everything @deniah wrote. The decline in quality with the new owners is sad.

If you can find an older bag-- and the heaviness and sharp zipper don'tt bother you-- then that would be the way to go over buying a new one. The old bags, at least, are indestructible, and really develop a gorgeous patina with use.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:06 pm

I wish they had the 4-wheel version for that price!

I use a Filson shoulder bag -- the Padded Laptop Bag. It's heavy, durable, and functional. I really like it. The zippers are like survival saws, though, and really mar any surface that touches them. Looks professional for conference room meetings, holds a ton of stuff, etc. Filson is brand that you get what you pay for ... but you pay for what you get. Meaning that it's super expensive stuff.

22.5" tall luggage, such as this one, doesn't meet hardly any airline guidelines. It will probably fit in most larger planes, but it won't pass any inspections by gate attendants. Lots of people have 23" or taller carry on bags and do OK. But, just know that it exceeds published allowances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.