Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best suitcase for carry on luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Best suitcase for carry on luggage?

Need a new suitcase and not sure what to get. What’s the best suitcase for carry on luggage?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:47 pm

You'll want to post this in the Travel Products forum.
WalterLWarren and nicolejdunn like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:17 pm

Far too broad a question, what with there being a gazillion carry-on bags in the market.

Narrow your choice down. Budget. Soft or hard. Wheeled or non-wheeled. Size (some airlines have "unique" size restrictions). Internal pockets. External pockets. Weight (international, which might only be 7kg limit for carry-on, vs domestic). Brands you like. Brands you don't like. Unbranded. Horizontal or vertical. Et al.

Last edited by DragonSoul; Sep 10, 2018 at 12:02 am
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:31 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jpreeves
You'll want to post this in the Travel Products forum.
And now please follow this thread as it moves to the Travel Products forum. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:20 pm

Briggs & Riley U122CX? - Highly regarded.

Like others have said, if you could share some of your criteria it would be helpful.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:23 am

Just like you, I had to research my needs and find the right bags for my travel needs. I’m a male, luckily not needing to pack suits, but do wear dress pants, button down shirts with comfortable rubber soled dress shoes. Sometimes a light jacket.

For a typical Monday-Friday client meeting trip I prefer soft sided/non-wheeled luggage for clothes packed in cubes. My bag of choice is a Redoxx Skytrain. For laptop, brochures and sample pieces I have a Tom Bihn Synapse 25 which has fit underneath every airline seat I’ve put it under. Both products well built and pricey. If you are budget conscious, I would recommend the bags Rick Steves sells to his customers under his own brand name.

If if I need wheels, I do really like my Tumi International carrry on for a few extra days or formal wear. It’s exactly the dimensions for typical trips except CRJ & E-140/145 aircraft. Soft sided highly recommended for those planes, otherwise get used to gate checking. Again if you are budget conscious I found on Amazon for my wife HAUPSTADTKOFFER bag at a great price.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:38 am

On another note. My wife purchased a satchel for a personal trip from Travelon for me a year ago. It is something I wouldn’t have picked myself, but I really like it. Materials are really top notch and from looking at their web site a good range of products at reasonable prices.
DeniseACouncil likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:19 pm

My favorite is Delsey as it is both durable, lightweight, and stylish. You may have to do some research to find what's right for you. This resource on best carry on luggage can help you decide.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:17 pm

I use a Briggs and Reilly International. I often travel for a week at a time across the pond and works for me. It’s two wheels, older model. I also use a B&R backpack, fits on the handle of roller.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:43 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
A bag like how you dress is very personal, driven sometime by personal preference, style, image etc. etc. There are ton's of really expensive to overpriced and at the other extreme cheap bags that do really 99% of the basic very similar and some will swear by the cheap one and than others for the expensive ones. I rather like my BR International, but if I had to do it all over again I'd probably be just has happy and proud of a Costco Kirkland brand.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by chipmaster
A bag like how you dress is very personal, driven sometime by personal preference, style, image etc. etc. There are ton's of really expensive to overpriced and at the other extreme cheap bags that do really 99% of the basic very similar and some will swear by the cheap one and than others for the expensive ones. I rather like my BR International, but if I had to do it all over again I'd probably be just has happy and proud of a Costco Kirkland brand.
The Costco brand is a nice piece of luggage and they have a great guarantee. If you don’t like it, return it. Now for cheaper luggage, lightweight brand “It” luggage is kind of stylish, and very lightweight, don’t know if it would survive being checked in, but the smaller versions are good for carryon.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:17 am

Rimowa Salsa Deluxe - lightweight, durable, glides like a dream. Older models being sold at a discount if you can still find them:

https://www.londonluggage.co.uk/collections/rimowa
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman

The Costco brand is a nice piece of luggage and they have a great guarantee. If you don’t like it, return it. Now for cheaper luggage, lightweight brand “It” luggage is kind of stylish, and very lightweight, don’t know if it would survive being checked in, but the smaller versions are good for carryon.
I second all of this. I use Kirkland 2 wheeler for all of my domestic trips, and when I need something lighter for international, I use my "It" 2 wheeler, which is VERY light. However, the "It" would certainly not do well if checked, and I even baby it when going up curbs, staircases, etc.
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:24 pm

TJ Max sells It luggage at very reasonably prices.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
There have been a lot of threads on this subject over the years. Some time ago I read (skimmed!) most of them. Briggs and Riley and Tumi were the clear winners in the upper price range. A bit more research indicated that High Sierra -- and a couple of others -- came close to the two winners, at 1/4th to 1/3rd the price. I ordered my High Sierra, two wheel (wish it had four) through Amazon for about 80 USD. I never check luggage when traveling alone, and it has been to four continents on a variety of airlines, and it has held up very well. Just one user's experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.