Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

2018 Rimowa is a huge step backwards

Old Aug 22, 18, 8:03 am
Original Poster

I am a kong time rimowa limbo user and I recently had my first one crack on me. I used it on average once a month for about 8 years so I canít complain.

I also have a complete that are 4yrs old.

I just got the latest one 2weeks ago without any research as never had issues with them but damn they lost the plot:
1. The middle non tsa fastener is gone. It makes me feel itís less secure when the suitcase is overpacked which sometimes it is for me.
2. The add a bag is gone. I do use it once in a while. Instead is a giant useless logo.
3. The pay made the Velcro straps worse for no reason. The two velcro strip on once side are now so small that if you try to tighten the main single strap too much the two small ones give out.
4. They cost more.

There is is simply no good reason for any of these changes. I live in hong kong. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on last years nonetag limbo blue model? There must be some deals out there on the old stuff. Need to stock up.
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:53 pm

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Look at Mont Blanc as an alternative.
Old Oct 24, 18, 3:07 pm

Well everybody likes to trash Travelpro but my Travelpro luggage lasted 18 years and I just am now replacing them all with the Travelpro Platinum Elite line, which has a lifetime warranty. Mind you, my old Travelpro luggage never "cracked" (yes, I know soft-sides don't crack) or failed whatsoever, they just look well-worn and I wanted to get new stuff. But ostensibly I could fly with my 18-year-old Travelpro luggage tomorrow. In fact I have them in my garage as backups just in case the new Travelpros don't turn out to be as good and fail!
Old Oct 26, 18, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by fisggyativa View Post
Well everybody likes to trash Travelpro but my Travelpro luggage lasted 18 years ...
Agreed. Lots of Travelpro haters, but the Crew line from Travelpro is excellent. A very high quality, somewhat utilitarian product made for frequent travelers. FWIW, theyíre also very serviceable - handles and wheels are very easily replaced in minutes. I think the Platinum line is a step up from the Crew line, so presumably it's an excellent product as well.

As mine have just worn over the years (but not broken), Iíve slowly transitioned to Kirkland bags from Costco. Nothing luxurious about them, but the build quality seems top notch.
Old Oct 27, 18, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Khondker Rumman Akhter View Post
I am a kong time rimowa limbo user and I recently had my first one crack on me. I used it on average once a month for about 8 years so I canít complain.

I just got the latest one 2weeks ago without any research as never had issues with them but damn they lost the plot:
1. The middle non tsa fastener is gone. It makes me feel itís less secure when the suitcase is overpacked which sometimes it is for me.
2. The add a bag is gone. I do use it once in a while. Instead is a giant useless logo.
3. The pay made the Velcro straps worse for no reason. The two velcro strip on once side are now so small that if you try to tighten the main single strap too much the two small ones give out.
4. They cost more.

There is is simply no good reason for any of these changes. I live in hong kong. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on last years nonetag limbo blue model? There must be some deals out there on the old stuff. Need to stock up.
This is disappointing to hear. I have a Classic from 2015 that has been serving me well as required. Once it kinks out, I will consider other brands.

I have no preference or hate-on for other brands.
Old Oct 27, 18, 1:58 pm

Thats sad to hear. I have been very fond of the rimowa brand
Old Oct 27, 18, 6:53 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Khondker Rumman Akhter View Post

4. They cost more.

I *do* miss that extra latch they used to have on their check-in models. But you know it disappeared before 2018 when Rimowa made room for that idiotic electronic luggage tag. And for some reason even after that experiment died, the 3rd latch hasn't returned yet.

The add-a-bag didn't have enough strength to be reliable. It was a gimmick and I have no problem w/ its exit.

I have not had any issues with the strength of the velcro yet.
Old Oct 29, 18, 12:17 pm

Location: State side (ORD, DCA, LHR and LGA most of the time)
Programs: SkyTeam, AA, DL, BA, HH
I have been considering a Rimowa carry on myself. However, when LVMH took over the company it seems that quality has taken a dive and prices have gone up. Lately I have been hunting for a used one on e-bay. That is not how I would prefer to acquire one, but I feel like a slightly older model that has been treated well is still going to be superior to a new one. It feels like they have damaged an icon.
Old Oct 29, 18, 12:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Never really understood the hype about Rimowa. My briggs riley baseline is going on 10 years with an average of 160 flights per year and has flown well over 2 million miles. Yes it has a nice patina on it, but no tears, broken hardware, or any issues at all.
Old Nov 25, 18, 5:22 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Marriott Platinum with ambassador, occasional HH Gold
I have tried to get my Rimowa serviced for some time now, replacing latches and wheels which used to be done in any store with about 3 days, since the updated productline, as I was told yesterday by a store manager, Rimowa apparently doesnt keep supply of replacement parts coming to flagship stores, hence these take now up to a week to be shipped within Europe, with Rimowa in Germany no longer committing to delivery dates, which according to him used to be the case

Apparently also the customer structure has become different just since the introduction of the productline

With many frequent travelers leaving disappointed that by the service and missing features such as the add a bag latch

Foreign buyers buying culturally adjusted products a lot

The Lufthansa partnership is done, so if you are looking for some of the 747 Topas models, you can still get those at the worldshop, but cobranded models are no longer being produced and apparently the distribution through WorldShop is also under consideration due to this
Old Nov 27, 18, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by marctbb View Post
I have tried to get my Rimowa serviced for some time now, replacing latches and wheels which used to be done in any store with about 3 days, since the updated productline, as I was told yesterday by a store manager, Rimowa apparently doesnt keep supply of replacement parts coming to flagship stores, hence these take now up to a week to be shipped within Europe, with Rimowa in Germany no longer committing to delivery dates, which according to him used to be the case
That's really unfortunate - the benefit of quick in-store repairs was a huge part of the attractiveness of the Rimowa brand to me, especially vs. competitors like Tumi.

I assume this must also affect Rimowa's vaunted "hotel repair" service.
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:10 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Marriott Platinum with ambassador, occasional HH Gold
I would assume that to be the case, if the flagship stores have issues with parts supply, it will be no different for the hotels offering the same service
Old Dec 5, 18, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by marctbb View Post
One of my 2-years old 29" Topas just went to Rimowa Costa Mesa, California, to repair the wheel housing. It came almost completely detached. I was told that it will take 3 weeks. I think the only parts they need are a few screws/bolts. The housing and the wheel seem to be okay. Not sure why it would need 3 weeks.

While at the store, I asked about the new "original" vs my Topas. The sales person seem to know exactly what I was going to ask. Without prompting she pointed out that the new one is missing the center latch and there is no electronic tag, and the add a bag thing is gone.

I am thinking of adding a 26". Now I am not sure if I should go with the Original (look almost the same was my two 29" topas) or the classic. Is the Original tougher than the Classic? I thought Topas were tougher than Classic but after 2 years.. the housing almost fell off. Or I am thinking about going with the small trunk, but that seems to be not in inventory anywhere here in SoCal. Are they discontinuing it?
Old Dec 5, 18, 1:42 pm

Programs: M/M
Both your Original and Classic lines in North America (NA) are manufactured at RIMOWA's Canada facility. You will see a mix of inventory between Czech Republic, Germany and Canada in the US market.

Both lines are made of the same aluminum-magnesium body with aesthetic appearance and dimensions between Cabin-variants being the primary difference between the two. Think box-frame versus rounded corners between the Classic and Original. The Original is no more tougher or weaker than the Classic. At the German plant, it was explained that the materials come from the same supplies (verified first-hand), but molds are changed when they shift between the two lines and sizes during the manufacturing process.

The trunk-line will remain in the RIMOWA portfolio. The company has just added a "S" variant to the trunk line, so you will now have a "S", "M", and "L" variant to choose from in the current generation Classic line. These variants are available in the EU market.
Old Dec 7, 18, 3:37 pm

I have a Topas trunk and a larger Salsa trunk. I originally purchased them to carry scuba diving gear but have found I prefer the Topas trunk over all my other traditionally sized Salsa Deluxe checkable pieces.

The trunk is beat up badly and has been repaired by myself (they ship me parts) about five times and had to send off to new jersey twice. The more trashed it gets the more attached I get to it. I even gave it a name (The Battleship). It feels more like a rock n roll anvil case at this point.

I just saw the new Rimowa product like and i'm somewhat disappointed. Glad I was able to buy all the pieces I wanted/needed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: