Wiki Posts
Search

Lots of personal item backpacks -- winner is Wandrd Prvke 21

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Lots of personal item backpacks -- winner is Wandrd Prvke 21

Between Air Canada specifying the shortest dimension of your personal item to be 6" and United defining the second largest to be 10" (but the sizer is 11") and both of them prescribing the longest to be 17", finding the right backpack is a very tough challenge. Of course I know neither will actually put your personal item in a sizer but a) You can never know when they will lose their minds and do it b) it needs to look the part. I know many people will show up with an almost full sized carry on as a personal item and for now get away with it but I don't want to go there.

Most backpacks are 12" or even 12.5" wide at least. The smaller ones are too thin, capable only of carrying your laptop and a few accessories -- that's just a waste, I want to maximize obviously. But fear not, there are quite a few possibilities, I marked the most interesting ones with a *:
  1. Tortuga Outbreaker Daypack
  2. Mountainsmith Divide (*)
  3. Cabin Zero Military 28
  4. HeimPlanet Monolith (*)
  5. Fjällräven Kånken Laptop 15" (*)
  6. Patagonia Lightweight Travel Tote Pack 22L
  7. Flowfold Denizen Limited – 18L Tote Backpack
  8. Think Tank Exposure 13 - this is a maybe, I haven't confirmed this works with their conversion straps but it might.
  9. Kifaru Urban Zippy. It's 18" high but that's probably OK, the United sizer is 18" after all, likely AC too. The optional frame sheet is only 16.5" which is probably best for the purpose, the new also optional organizer panel is 17.5" and I feel that would be a stretch. This is also the most expensive pack in the bunch.
And then there's the Wandrd Prvke 21. The features and the versatility of this bag is just absolutely ridiculous, I do not even know where to start: it opens fully flat with the tablet and laptop in one half and the main compartment the other half. The main compartment can be accesed both in this fully flat mode but also from the top via a rolltop -- it also optionally separates into two compartments with a fold down divider. There's a separate pocket for phone and keys (which is actually not unusably small, I plan on putting my DM1 wallet there based on video reviews it'll fit) and a hidden passport / money compartment. It expands in several ways: the rolltop adds to the main compartment, you can strap things to the front and the bottom and use the size pocket not only for a water bottle but also for a tripod because there is a strap for that (I saw a reviewer just hanging a Gorillapod from that strap). Oh that strap is also a compression strap and that's rare on packs of this size. There's a sternum strap and an optional waist belt (and of course the belt has a pocket). Photographers can put in a cube with dividers and there is a side door into the main compartment for quick access into that cube (even the door has a pocket). The cube actually converts into a waist bag because this company is just going overboard with versatility. The backpack straps have a lens catch. There are tote handles not just a hanging loop -- and they snap together with a magnet.

The webpage for the pack is also really well done, I am often left wondering how could companies expect us to shell out several hundred dollars when there is so little detail available? Here you can see every detail but not as separate photos which leave you wondering how they actually come together (I had this problem too often) but rather linked from two silhuette diagrams.

If I'd have a complaint it's this: show me on this dictionary where vowels have hurt you. LOL.

Last edited by chx1975; Aug 16, 2018 at 1:00 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:40 pm

Prvke 21 Pack Weight: 1.3 kg (2.8 lbs)

It isn't outrageously heavy (heaviest of the *'d) but combine it with a roll top and it is not for me. Definitely well thought out, though. I could pack a power bank for ~ 6-8 oz, other tech gear, or more in my 311 liquids bag for the weight difference. I've seen plenty of people say packed bag weight on a < 30 L bag shouldn't matter regarding shoulder, chest, and waist straps but it does if I shove it full of heavy things with batteries and glass.

A roll top might be better for those carrying a larger camera setup so you can access the camera without having to put the bag down like you'd need to with a wide clamshell front opening. A wide front panel opening is nice for packing horizontally like a suitcase when stationary but be careful when accessing vertically while moving as some zippers are prone to sliding open and spewing forth the contents.

The Boundary Supply Errant is also really well thought out but a little too large to qualify as a personal item on United
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6-CJCJWJDY
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The rolltop normally is not my favorite but given how many access methods you have into the main compartment (side door into the bottom, and full open), I am OK with it. I mean, if you so want, you literally never have to open it. But, the way I imagine I will use it, it seriously adds to the versatility of the bag.

Last edited by chx1975; Aug 16, 2018 at 12:30 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:03 am

Did you ever purchase the Prvke 21?

I’m wondering the same thing. I typically fly with just a small bag for my “personal” item (Peak Design 5L Sling or Filson Small Field Bag). However, lower back problems have gotten me to looking at backpacks. It’d be nice to be able to carry some extra stuff.

I also considered the Peak Design 21L backpack, but I just can’t get past the internal storage. The other option is the Brevite Rucksack, but has to be shipped from the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.