Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Favourite laptop back pack for flights

Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry

My feeble attempt to keep it AC related...

I currently have a Samsonite lap top back pack that I like but the main compartment zipper pulls apart on it's own after just a year of (ab)use. Similar to this https://www.samsonite.ca/collections...aptopbackpacks

Definitely prefer back pack style.

What are your preferences and why?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Crumpler for me.

I like the feel and it fits not only my laptop but a bunch of other necessities.

Not cheap though.
mytraveltripod likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Crumpler for me.

I like the feel and it fits not only my laptop but a bunch of other necessities.

Not cheap though.
https://www.crumpler.com/au/laptop-bags/

Which one do you like?
Not picky on price as long as quality and utility are there
mytraveltripod likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

As this is really a laptop bag question that isn't airline-specific it's been relocated to the Travel Products forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:10 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by taupo
https://www.crumpler.com/au/laptop-bags/

Which one do you like?
Not picky on price as long as quality and utility are there
I have an older one that's not shown, but it's bomb-proof for durability.

Like all bags, if there is a Crumpler store near you, maybe try it on first. Feel free to take your laptop too, they had zero issue with me playing around with the bag in the store.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:55 pm

Ive been using the REI Ruckpack 28 the past ten months to haul my 15 MacBook. The zippered side pocket is where I keep my USB charging brick, pens, and receipts. The opposite side, on the outside, holds my Grayl water bottle. The bottom of the backpack has a separate zippered, isolated compartment for a rain cover which shares space with the main compartment. Its nice for stuffing in dirty laundry, at most a days worth. There's also elastic bands you can use to hold a sweater on the outside.

The backpack is small enough (when fully loaded) to fit under an economy seat (including prop planes, CRJ types) provided you remove the water bottle out and the seat in front doesnt have a power unit taking up space below. I haven't had a seat I couldn't stuff this backpack under. It should be able to take larger laptops, obviously that'll cut down on how much room you have for other items. I believe the heaviest I've had this backpack was about 25-30 lbs when it was full of drone batteries and my laptop.

The two drawbacks with the Ruckpack are the lock placement and a lack of larger outside compartment to stuff papers into. The zippers for the main compartment have loops for a TSA lock but the side access is not double zipped, which means you'll have to loop a cable lock through the zipper to one of the carabiner loops to secure (albeit not particularly well).

So far, I've been happy. The threads and zippers have held, it's compact, relatively comfortable to walk around with, and not too expensive. It's been my go-to for all 1-3 night trips or when I have checked luggage (always carry a change of clothes and toiletry).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have the Everki premium backpack. www.everki.com. It holds a lot of stuff and will fit on your rollaboard bag. Travel with it all over the world.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have the Timbuk2 Uptown Laptop Backpack that I'm currently using as my personal item and my daily commuter. I change pretty frequently between messenger bags/briefcases and a backpack. I'm pretty happy with this one and haven't changed in a while.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: US Gold
I like the Osprey Pixel I have because the laptop has a separate well-padded compartment at the back with a side zipper, which makes it really convenient to slide out (there's also a separate pocket inside that compartment for a tablet). However, it's not waterproof and it's a shade too large for British Airways' "personal item", so my 2nd choice is a Tom Bihn Synapse 19. That has no padding for a laptop, so I insert a Crumpler sleeve and slide the laptop into that.

wg
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: EBG
I've been using the Incase City Compact for about 8 months now and taken it with me on 20+ flights. It's slim profile, good looking, comfortable to wear and carry everything I need. In the small compartment at the top I can keep my passport, keys, coins etc. Then there are a softly padded laptop compartment in the main compartment which fits my 13" Macbook Pro perfectly, pretty sure it can fit a 15" too. I always carry my laptop, laptop charger, headphones, portable speaker, cables and cable cases, power bank, notepad, portable HDDs and some pens with me without any issues. Really happy with the backpack and it feels solid so doubt it'll need a replacement any time soon.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:46 am

I am using the Everki Titan backpack. Laptop sleeves Flips open easily for immigration. Sturdy construction and lifetime warranty. Plenty of space for all peripherals and personal belongings.

Most users have used it for years and reviews have been mostly excellent.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:17 pm

I love the Minaal daily: https://www.minaal.com/collections/a...=7864861196340
Been all over the world with it, it fits under every seat, and I've never been questioned on using it as a personal item. Used it almost every day (travel and work) for a year and a half. Has great organisation too.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Relevant: Lots of personal item backpacks -- winner is Wandrd Prvke 21
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Travlur
I love the Minaal daily: https://www.minaal.com/collections/a...=7864861196340
Been all over the world with it, it fits under every seat, and I've never been questioned on using it as a personal item. Used it almost every day (travel and work) for a year and a half. Has great organisation too.
Love my Minaal Daily. Also have an Aer Flight Pack (v1) that I like a lot, but the Minaal just feels slightly higher quality.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:18 am

Goruck GR 1. It's the only bag I use now.

SEE: https://www.goruck.com/gr1-our-original-ruck/

Last edited by John Isaac; Aug 25, 2018 at 10:24 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.