Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Broke a toe and have insurance; should I seek medical attention or take next flight?

Broke a toe and have insurance; should I seek medical attention or take next flight?

Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Let's say I booked my Aeroplan mini rtw, paying the taxes/fees with my Chase Sapphire Reserve, and there was another person on the booking.

Let's also suggest that I broke a toe on this trip, at the POT.

Furthermore, let's say I'm confident all CSR insurance applies to my Aeroplan booking, as does my work-provided health insurance (except their office is closed at the moment).

Given that I'm not in excruciating pain, and my next "action" is a taxi to HKT, followed by a domestic angle-flat to BKK, followed by TG 380 F to FRA, what should I do?

I've tried calling my company-provided insurance. They're closed. I'm not dying. I'm just in enough pain that I've given up on any more fun until I leave this resort.

There are two of us. Only I need any level of medical attention.

Should I wait until FRA? Should I seek help in HKT?

Thanks

Edit: The Chase benefits guy can't spell my surname. I'm almost ready to scream. I have all this insurance and everyone is closed or incompetent.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 13, 2018 at 9:56 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: *$ Green
Only thing I is that you need to be careful in the required itinerary change. AP won't change its ticketing rules, and chase would theoretically have to pay out of pocket for any new tickets. I can see them arguing about bringing you straight back to Canada.

Are you in the middle of your super itinerary?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Only thing I is that you need to be careful in the required itinerary change. AP won't change its ticketing rules, and chase would theoretically have to pay out of pocket for any new tickets. I can see them arguing about bringing you straight back to Canada.

Are you in the middle of your super itinerary?
I am at my POT in HKT. I have a stopover in FRA.

I can't see the combination of UHC and Chase not paying for healthcare, and I can't see chase not paying a $75 change fee (if necessary).

I just can't get anyone to agree to let me visit the hospital. Chase has agreed to let me spend $2500, which I've learned is... nothing.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: *$ Green
Check your privat etravel medical.

I've never had to use it, knock on wood, but everyone I know that has said it's the best way to get admittance and all expenses covered in the matter of minutes.

Just be ready to have the insurance tell you "your trip is done, you come home now for local treatment or all coverage is terminated".
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

As this topic centers on travel insurance it's been relocated from the Air Canada forum to the Travel Products forum for further discussion.

Regards,

tcook052
AIr Canada forum moderator
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:59 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Look into the fine print on your travel insurance. Some of them have certain restrictions as to where you first report injury.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:01 pm

Which toe? If it's not your big toe, and it's not a compound fracture or something that's going to require surgery, the most likely thing is that they are going to "buddy tape" it, recommend a nsaid, and send you on your way. You can do both of those things yourself. If there is a lot of swelling you can RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) it for the first couple of days.

For as little as can actually be done for a broken toe, there is very little chance that I would end my vacation for one. I would just slow down some and try to enjoy the remainder. (But I once ran a 31 mile relay race on a sprained ankle because I didn't want to waste the entry fee.... so maybe my advice doesn't apply to normal people!)
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

The FRA ER cost 99 Euros, which included an x-ray. They just taped it.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The FRA ER cost 99 Euros, which included an x-ray. They just taped it.
Next time i need an X-ray, I'll just fly to Frankfurt first class, then go to the FRA ER. Still cheaper than what they charge for the same at my local ER
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.