Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why do large bags exceed the 62 inch requirement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I am struggling with the requirement that the dimensional total of checked/hold bags will be 62 inches or less....given the bags on the market.

Yesterday, I went shopping for a new large (30 inch-ish) bag for an upcoming trip to Europe, since we gave our old one to our son.
At Macy's, I found many that would be satisfactory in terms of features and feel, so went home to look at specs online. To my shock, every one of the large size bags I checked were listed for dimensions that totaled over the 62 inch limit! I was focusing on spinner bags with double wheels from Travelpro, Delsey, Samsonite, to name a few. Many actually totaled around 65 inches! I had to drop down to a nominal 28 inch bag size before I came up with the conforming dimensional total.

Honestly, what's up with this? Who buys these too-big bags and what do they do with them -- just use them in the car for long land trips? Really? I am sure that most people who buy a nominal 29-30 inch spinner bag intend to use it for their next air trip. If they all encountered oversize charges from airlines, often around $75 per bag, surely there would be major customer pushback!!

Are airlines not checking dimensions for hold luggage these days, just weight??
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I can't imagine using a 30" bag unless I was moving to a different country. I never even use the 25" bag I have.....
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Yes, we used the big bag when moving back & forth across the ocean, and our son now uses it for coast to coast moves.
But for other travels....Imagine if you want to purchase handicraft or other fragile items on a trip.....things that really should be overpacked in a cardboard box for safe transport in checked luggage on the return.
It is surprising how fast those big cases fill up with the overpack containers in them!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: *G
62" is not a universal size limitation. JAL for example sets their limits at 78". Sometimes people also accept oversized charges for large trips (moves, extended stays). And yes there's the overland trips and cruises as well
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Yep, you are right -- 62 isn't universal, tho it is the limit for the most of the carriers.

I found a chart for this.....
scroll down at: https://www.skyscanner.com/tips-and-...hecked-luggage

Surprisingly, one carrier goes to all the way to 118 inches, and Easy Jet has a generous 108 inch standard.

But with a few exceptions aside, the 62 inch/50 pound scheme is the most common limit by far, and one that most travelers should plan for, so I am still wondering why there are SO many bags out on the market, from leading vendors online and in stores, that do not conform!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I would guess the simple answer the bags remain on the market is that the bags sell.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

It just seems like people would be complaining in large numbers, too many to ignore, if they were all being charged for over-size.

Has anyone had a checked bag measured for dimensions? Weight seems to be the over-riding criteria in my experience.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:40 pm

My experience is similar in that weight seems like the overriding factor rather than dimensions. I suppose a much larger bag would make you susceptible to a more thorough check.

I am extremely surprised that many bags that claim to "respect" common airline limits of 158cm total do not include handles and wheels. Both the stores and the manufacturers say they pass but I suppose part of it is the push for sales. I haven't heard many stories of these "borderline" suitcases being flagged but someone once remarked that they would print a copy of the specs from the manufacturer and place in permanently in the bag just in case.

I see larger bags 29inch and above, that are common amongst family travellers from middle and developing countries a lot more often. I am guessing most do not travel frequently nor are efficient packers. Maybe perhaps they like to have that extra space for shopping. It certainly is a very viable market for any manufacturer to cater to this growing class.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For normal looking bags, I have only ever seen them measured once in all my years of flying. They will measure non standard looking items, but weight is where its at.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Yes, a few centimeters doesn't really matter for the airline, weight does because there are actual people who need to lift them. So they have zero incentive to measure and potentially conflict with a customer. This is very different from carry on which needs to fit in the bin or underseat. Don't push it , obviously: if you show up with an empty 30" cube then they will refuse you because it doesn't fit in some aircraft doors and they will have an easy time because you are at 90"...
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have an old Samsonite F'lite (2 wheeler) that I've been told is slightly over 62" -- I must have checked it 30 times the past 12 years so (NW and DL) and never had it measured (for size, always weighed).

I think until the come up with a laser scanner that does instantaneous measurement most (non VLCC) airlines aren't going to bother with regularly shaped suitcases because of the time involved -- not just the time to measure but the time spent arguing with the passenger. Something that is clearly oversized -- or somebody who gives the agent attitude -- then the chances go up.

Normally I'm carry one only but once or twice a year a travel with my trusty Bike Friday -- no way to carry that on
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marshall's has h large selection of misclaneous bags(no two are alike). go to marshals with a tape measure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.