Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Bluetooth headphones [used with tablets in aircraft]

Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver

Are the use of Bluetooth headphones connecting to a tablet allowed ?
if all devices need to be off or in airplane surely that didables Bluetooth
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:14 am

Most new devices (at least few of my last iPhones) keep Bluetooth enabled with Airplane Mode, so you should be good to go.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I thought I had read that bluetooth was ok at any time, but the latest thing i can find says can be used apart from during taxi, take-off and landing

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ation-and-faqs
http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...oard_Dec14.pdf

Bluetooth accessories
All Bluetooth accessories (for example wireless keyboard, headphones, etc) may only be used during the flight but must remain switched off for taxi, take-off and landing
bwaflyer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have seen people using Bluetooth ear plugs during taxi, take-off and landing on several flights so clearly not something BA are sufficiently concerned about to enforce.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought I had read that bluetooth was ok at any time, but the latest thing i can find says can be used apart from during taxi, take-off and landing

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ation-and-faqs
http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...oard_Dec14.pdf
thanks that's fine then I can use after we have taken off
i am pretty sure that when I enable flight mode on my forehand tablet it disables Bluetooth
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
I'm fairly sure you can enable flight mode (which will then switch off Bluetooth and WiFi and Cellular) and then switch on WiFi and/or Bluetooth (but not cellular) while flight-mode is still active.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Iberia make you remove your headphones for the safety announcement and take off and landing. I've recently done LGW - MAD a few times and was told everytime to take my Apple airpods out for the safety briefing and take off/landing.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: SAS EBS, IHG Spire Elite, Hertz Five Star and Sixt Gold
Bluetooth headphones are fine.
I got told once when there was a lot of fog that I had to turn them of, every passenger had to turn of all electronics. I've never had this happen except this one time. At first I thought they where joking. but I knew that the weather was bad so of course I turned all off since I don't know how all the navigation systems work.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: *G
Varies from airline to airline. I recently had a mainline carrier asked me to turn off my BT headphones during TO/Landing phase.
I checked the safety guide in the inflight magazine and sure enough - the F/A wasnt making up her own rules.

In flight phase though pretty much all of them allow use.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by deniah
Varies from airline to airline. I recently had a mainline carrier asked me to turn off my BT headphones during TO/Landing phase.
I checked the safety guide in the inflight magazine and sure enough - the F/A wasnt making up her own rules.

In flight phase though pretty much all of them allow use.

I think it does vary by carrier. I routinely use them after the safety announcement on AA and have seen others doing it as well. I seem to recall a while ago they even announced it on some flights. And yes, at least on an iPad or iPhone if you enable airplane mode, Bluetooth stays on. If it doesn’t on your device you can manually turn it on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.