Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united
HELP!

My husband and I leave for Europe on Wednesday and are trying to find a carry on bag that will work for each of the 4 inter-European airlines we will be flying. The max dimensions are 55 x 35 x 20. We need to maximize our ability to pack while staying under the 17lb limit. This is the closest thing I’ve found, but it’s just barely over. If we don’t pack it full, do you think we’ll be okay? We’re flying Alitalia, Volotea, Olympic and Aegean. TIA!

IT Duo-Tone - exterior dimension including wheels and handles - 53.3 x 35.6 x 21.5
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:26 am

The biggest problem you have when trying to use a wheeled bag as carry on is staying under the weight limit. This bag weighs 4.4 lbs. Here as well, you are 1.5 cm over in dimension. The smaller regional airlines tends to use smaller planes with narrower overhead bins. It is quite possible the bag won't fit at all.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: *G
In my experience, where you will encounter the highest likelihood of size-based and/or weight-based enforcement:

* certain airport and terminals. weighing at VIE T3 is a guarantee.
* low-cost carriers... ostensibly as their revenue strategy is on auxiliary fees. though its more on size than weight.
* when the flights are very full, at the gate, some agents will proactively scan for oversized luggage and offer/*negotiate* gate-check to facilitate boarding speed.

Volotea might enforce the sizer. In which case... whether the luggage is full or not doesnt matter much... unless its pliable and you can squeeze it into said sizers.

They're generally a bit lax on weight, so you can get away e.g. with 19# rather than 17.6# exact.

Remember to maximize your carry-on. Meaning get a reasonable backpack or shoulder bag. Those are almost never weighted.

Duffel and similar soft-bags are rarely scrutinized, and they're lighter, as well as more pliable and accomodating to different load sizes. Something like the Patagonia Headway MLC will be really really useful if you're into optimizing your luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.