Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles
Cancellation Insurance

I purchased two tickets for a summer vacation next week but at the time never bothered with cancellation insurance. Well my wife has not been feeling well since then and may not be able to travel. Can cancellation insurance from RBC which who Air Canada deals with and offers on their website be purchased after tickets have been booked and paid for? Also if just calling next week if necessary and having to cancel is enough for RBC to simply pay the claim or is it a red tape tangle. Have never used cancellation insurance before but it may be an option for us. My wife is 69 and not sure if she has to answer some specific medical questions when the insurance is filled out or is it straight forward ( I am thinking not likely but I could be wrong). If a claim is filed does she need to have a doctors report etc for her reason, hopefully she is felling better next Tues and off we go.

Last edited by D7200; Jul 12, 2018 at 4:09 pm Reason: added additional info
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:25 pm

I doubt you can add cancellation insurance after the fact. Check with the credit card that you used and see if it comes with any cancellation insurance. You will need a doctor note for any insurance.

Most mid-tier tickets allow you to refund minus a fee. Almost all tickets allow you to change with a fee.

Hope your wife goes well so it's a go!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
LOl. that would work out excellent, just wait until you know you'll have an insurance claim THEN buy a policy.

Oh, wait. RBC is on to this. "purchase at the time of new ticket sale or upto 24 hours after ticketed." for aircanada that conveniently coincides with 24hr refund allowed even on the cheapest ticket type.

To answer your other ?s yes there will be a claim process, and yes it is designed to be quite a few verification steps. After all the insurer only makes $ if there are no claims or no claims are followed thru on.

I do also hope whatever health issues involved clears up so you can both enjoy the travel together
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As others have said you can't add insurance after you know of a reason why you have to cancel, it must be purchased at the time payment is applied and cancellation penalties begin.
Often1 and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Plus, most insurance excludes pre-existing conditions. Policies which don't can be extremely expensive. There's also cancel for any reason travel insurance, but these policies don't pay in full and are very expensive.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If the illness or injury is severe (e.g. resulting in loss of mobility or requiring hospitalization), you may find Air Canada willing to waive change fees if medical documentation is provided. I'm aware of several incidences were AC voluntarily rebooked people who had situations like breaking their leg or having a heart attack shortly before they were scheduled to travel.

Otherwise, there is not going to be any insurance that you can buy after the fact will cover cancellation, and anyway cancellation insurance usually only covers things that are involuntary - otherwise it would simply be too expensive for the provider to pay out all the claims.

Check your credit card to see if it has coverage.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's also cancel for any reason travel insurance, but these policies don't pay in full and are very expensive.
Not that expensive, at least here in Canada but regardless CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) would still only apply if the policy was purchased at the time payment was applied.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
If only I could get the dealer to let me pay for insurance once the dealer shows a Blackjack!

All kidding aside, to the OP, as per the others, for all intents and purposes, insurance needs to be purchased ahead of time, and not after the fact.
You can even buy something like a yearly travel insurance plan so that you don't have to worry about it every time you book a trip that year.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles
Thanks all for the great help and straight forward info, very much appreciated.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:07 pm

As this is about the insurance itself rather than an Air Canada specific questions the thread has been relocated to the proper venue for travel insurance queries which is the Travel Products forum.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Who in their right mind would pay extra for insurance if they could get away with purchasing it only after a reason for it arises? Or looking at it another way, what insurer in its right mind would sell? As noted, even CFAR generally has a very tight timeline for just this reason.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I posted a lot of info re travel insurance about two years ago and it was moved to the forum tcook052 notes above. Also, the annual policies are great (I have one) but if there’s a change in circumstances during the year, it can nullify coverage. Watch the stability clause. They differ depending on the company.

Another little known critical fact is that if you have an issue while away that extends beyond your polucy’s coverage period and are using top up insurance, the top up won’t cover treatment. For them (top up), your medical occurrence is a pre-existing condition. I have a friend who got stuck with some rather large medical bills last winter for this very reason.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Who in their right mind would pay extra for insurance if they could get away with purchasing it only after a reason for it arises? Or looking at it another way, what insurer in its right mind would sell? As noted, even CFAR generally has a very tight timeline for just this reason.
Then why do all these people buy Amex premium car insurance? You can put your amex as the method of payment when renting. and if all gors well then at the return change your method of payment
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Then why do all these people buy Amex premium car insurance? You can put your amex as the method of payment when renting. and if all gors well then at the return change your method of payment
inane.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Free Agent
in support of select insurance: Manulife allows 'return of AE miles' when inside the 21 day cut off... IMO worth it for those 'high points value' trips.
Insurance is all about peace of mind- we all have our own parameters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.