Wiki Posts
Search

Rolex Watches @ Airports anyone..?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by mhdena
Become friendly with an independent AD, not a mall chain like Ben Bridge or BBB.

Deals and discounts can be found once you build a relationship.
^
I recently visited a Rolex retailer in Paris where I bought my first watch (GMT II 'Pepsi') a few years ago and inquired about another model (Datejust) on behalf of a friend.
I was quoted 10% off retail (and full VAT refund as non-EU resident).

Also, I got a good deal on a Daytona SS at a store in Barcelona by paying cash (using 500 euros notes).
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zip10001
^
I recently visited a Rolex retailer in Paris where I bought my first watch (GMT II 'Pepsi') a few years ago and inquired about another model (Datejust) on behalf of a friend.
I was quoted 10% off retail (and full VAT refund as non-EU resident).

Also, I got a good deal on a Daytona SS at a store in Barcelona by paying cash (using 500 euros notes).
What is a PEPSI Rolex..? is that one of there new models now in the lineup..?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bulbmogul
What is a PEPSI Rolex..? is that one of there new models now in the lineup..?
It is the GMT II with blue & red bezel (same colors as the PEPSI can, hence the nickname).

Below a picture from google [not my actual watch]

Last edited by zip10001; Jul 10, 2018 at 9:47 am Reason: image
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by car_wash_guy
In case you aren't aware, there is a massive worldwide shortage of many Rolex models.
Sure seems like it. I asked in Sydney, HK, looked in Tokyo I think too and all the Rolex stores were cleaned out of new Submariner models when I was through that part of the world last month.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Sure seems like it. I asked in Sydney, HK, looked in Tokyo I think too and all the Rolex stores were cleaned out of new Submariner models when I was through that part of the world last month.
​​​​​​
I see many and I mean many Subs forsale here in the STATES in Solid Gold forsale and DavidSW and Jomashop have loads of them if you want to step up and pay...
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bulbmogul
I see many and I mean many Subs forsale here in the STATES in Solid Gold forsale and DavidSW and Jomashop have loads of them if you want to step up and pay...
No need to rush as I already own one, but was just commenting on the lack of them in the airport stores.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
There is a significant difference in pricing (and consequently in demand) between the base steel models (which are almost always sold out) and the solid gold models, which is far too much bling - and of course hurts the pocket too much - for your average Rolex-wearer, and are therefore of course still sitting on store shelves.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:27 am
Original Poster

I bought this one the other day The Rolex Daytona in Solid Rose Gold with Chocolate Dial ..Great looking watch..
Old Nov 28, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
In your experience which airport has the best store?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by dakid23
Dubai and Frankfurt as far as I’ve seen for Rolex. You won’t be able to walk in and get a stainless Daytona though.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dakid23
Best as meaning walking in and snagging a "STAINLESS FLIPPER" for MSRP..? Then none as the entire world Rolex Machine is aware of the Stainless Flipping Craze and much better off selling them to a grey Dealer out the back door....
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Going to a Rolex outlet at an airport is like playing the lottery. If you see one you like, you should buy it instantly.

I will say this
- Don't expect any discounts. Prices will be published retail for the country you are in.
- There are some countries where I would not even bother. Germany is one of them. WEMPE has a outlet in the Z concourse at FRA next to the Zoll office past the border agents. After confirming that I was flying out of the EU, I was quoted with VAT prices, but then was told to go to the Zoll office to get a stamp and then go to Global Ripoff to get some money back, after they take a cut. Whats the point of duty free again?. I told the frau to piss off.
- London used to be a great place to buy high end items, sadly this ended after Brexit. Watches of Switzerland, another god for saken business which I encourage everyone to avoid, had outlets in T4 and T5, I predict these will soon close. Prior to brexit stuff here was sold completely free of VAT, and it was possiblle to call and reserve things, but not Rolex. I imagine the likes of Harrods and that outlet place near Oxford ( name escapes me) must be reeling, there might be some changes in this. I bought a few nice things from Heathrow , tax free.
- I was trolling a lot of watch stores all of 2018-2019, on routes I frequent, my obversation is to go in the morning, in the middle of the month, and try your luck. Depends on the airport. FRA and LHR are no goes . Omega and Rolex both have small stores at the Zurich airport. The airports that don't get a lot of action are better than those that do. So I disagree with people that suggested Dubai, unless you are into a ladies date just or two tone items.
-Based on my numerous trolling of Rolex airport stores if found out howe they work : Rolex allots certain things for them to sell, they cannot order certain items, what they get they have to sell. Sometimes an airport store is allotted a steel sports watch, which they do put on on display. If i had to guess, probably 3-5 times a year, based on my trolling.
- Needless to say, you cannot reserve an item, buy it in advance, put it on deposit.

Keep trying. I did eventually buy something i wanted, I prayed ( yes I did) , dropped by every now and then, and voila, one it I saw it what i wanted and bought it. The sales guy was like "Perhaps you would like to try it on first?"..

I kept my credit card company on alert for all of last year, just to make sure it would good though without a hitch. Good luck…keep believing.

I'm being vague about where and what I bought, but I will say it was in demand item, which the airport store rarely gets.

Last edited by OpenSky; Jan 11, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Going to a Rolex outlet at an airport is like playing the lottery. If you see one you like, you should buy it instantly.

I will say this
- Don't expect any discounts. Prices will be published retail for the country you are in.
- There are some countries where I would not even bother. Germany is one of them. WEMPE has a outlet in the Z concourse at FRA next to the Zoll office past the border agents. After confirming that I was flying out of the EU, I was quoted with VAT prices, but then was told to go to the Zoll office to get a stamp and then go to Global Ripoff to get some money back, after they take a cut. Whats the point of duty free again?. I told the frau to piss off.
- London used to be a great place to buy high end items, sadly this ended after Brexit. Watches of Switzerland, another god for saken business which I encourage everyone to avoid, had outlets in T4 and T5, I predict these will soon close. Prior to brexit stuff here was sold completely free of VAT, and it was possiblle to call and reserve things, but not Rolex. I imagine the likes of Harrods and that outlet place near Oxford ( name escapes me) must be reeling, there might be some changes in this. I bought a few nice things from Heathrow , tax free.
- I was trolling a lot of watch stores all of 2018-2019, on routes I frequent, my obversation is to go in the morning, in the middle of the month, and try your luck. Depends on the airport. FRA and LHR are no goes . Omega and Rolex both have small stores at the Zurich airport. The airports that don't get a lot of action are better than those that do. So I disagree with people that suggested Dubai, unless you are into a ladies date just or two tone items.
-Based on my numerous trolling of Rolex airport stores if found out howe they work : Rolex allots certain things for them to sell, they cannot order certain items, what they get they have to sell. Sometimes an airport store is allotted a steel sports watch, which they do put on on display. If i had to guess, probably 3-5 times a year, based on my trolling.
- Needless to say, you cannot reserve an item, buy it in advance, put it on deposit.

Keep trying. I did eventually buy something i wanted, I prayed ( yes I did) , dropped by every now and then, and voila, one it I saw it what i wanted and bought it. The sales guy was like "Perhaps you would like to try it on first?"..

I kept my credit card company on alert for all of last year, just to make sure it would good though without a hitch. Good luck…keep believing.

I'm being vague about where and what I bought, but I will say it was in demand item, which the airport store rarely gets.
Why so vague? I've been on the lookout for a SS Pepsi everywhere I travel but thus far have had no luck. Have seen a regular GMT Master II on display before at an airport in Europe which I'm sure lasted about the length of a day before it was snapped up.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
That sounds about accurate. The watch I bought was apparently put on display in the morning, and was bought by me in the afternoon. Was on display for about 5-6 hours.

The advantage of the airport locations is the stock they get from Rolex can't be kept for a special client, unlike the brick and mortar stores.
It took me two years of basically criss crossing the globe.

You'll have better luck in Europe and Asia than in the US frankly. Dubai is for lovers of date justs and two tone watches.
You should be prepare to buy what you see immediately, if its what you want.

Last edited by OpenSky; Jan 12, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by OpenSky
That sounds about accurate. The watch I bought was apparently put on display in the morning, and was bought by me in the afternoon. Was on display for about 5-6 hours.

The advantage of the airport locations is the stock they get from Rolex can't be kept for a special client, unlike the brick and mortar stores.
It took me two years of basically criss crossing the globe.

You'll have better luck in Europe and Asia than in the US frankly. Dubai is for lovers of date justs and two tone watches.
You should be prepare to buy what you see immediately, if its what you want.
My AmEx is at the ready if I find "the one". Currently wear a No Date Submariner everywhere I go but would happily add a Pepsi to my small collection if I happened upon one. Maybe one day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.