Carry on bags you'll swear by

Old Jun 13, 18, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways

Hey all,

Hoping for some wisdom!

My wheelie carry on bag has suffered a nasty injury on NX and I think is in need of replacement. With the OTP-PDX and JER-PHX fare coming up, as well as 10 or so weekend hops to Europe over the next few months, has anyone got any tips for 'bags they'll swear by'?

Ideally, it'll have wheels, not come in standard 'matt black' and have the TSA security lock thingy. 90% of my flying is on BA but It'd be nice to have it for the upcoming AA adventures...

If anyone can share some wisdom that'd be ace!

Cheers
Old Jun 13, 18, 2:31 pm

Revelation! London are a top brand. Well built suitcases. Used them myself. Great designs too if you're after more than just black

Currently have an up to 60% sale.

https://www.revelationlondon.com
Old Jun 13, 18, 2:31 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage

Combining a bag, the airline you travel on, your handle and a cheeky joke, it has to be this one...
Old Jun 13, 18, 2:49 pm

I know you said wheels, but I swear by the Tom Bihn Tri-Star. Mine is the Halcyon version. I've bought tons of bags, and I always come back to this one. If you pair it with
Eagle Creek Compression Packing Cubes Eagle Creek Compression Packing Cubes
you'll be able to carry stuff than you can possibly imagine.
Old Jun 13, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAGGL, TK Elite, Accor Gold, Hilton Dia, IHG gold
If you donít mind red , this one is a classic samsonite and half price. If you buy through the BA store you will get around 500 avios as well.

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/bags...connexityclick
Old Jun 13, 18, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich View Post
If you donít mind red , this one is a classic samsonite and half price. If you buy through the BA store you will get around 500 avios as well.

That bag isnít compliant with AA carry-on sizes though.
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:06 pm

Not sure I'd quite swear by it, but this is what I use and pretty happy overall. Very light and can fit a lot (2+weeks worth for me). Only criticism is the front pocket is fairly useless when the bag is full. It's available in a snazzier black/gold fabric as well as a very bright turquoise.

https://www.samsonite.co.uk/uplite-s...4758-1408.html

ETA: I see they've added a new variant with top pocket which looks very useful! https://www.samsonite.co.uk/uplite-s...8024-5328.html
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by Peacenfunk View Post
Revelation! London are a top brand. Well built suitcases. Used them myself. Great designs too if you're after more than just black

Currently have an up to 60% sale.

https://www.revelationlondon.com
Awesome looking bags!

Originally Posted by Takiteasy View Post

Combining a bag, the airline you travel on, your handle and a cheeky joke, it has to be this one...
Ha! So many things wrong with that but also <3 !

Originally Posted by ibmman69 View Post
I know you said wheels, but I swear by the Tom Bihn Tri-Star. Mine is the Halcyon version. I've bought tons of bags, and I always come back to this one. If you pair it with Eagle Creek Compression Packing Cubes you'll be able to carry stuff than you can possibly imagine.
I think you've sold me? That 'Burnt Orange' is a genuine hit here and yes, it looks like it can get away with a lot inside! Cheers; will look for further reviews but definitely up there!

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich View Post

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post

That bag isnít compliant with AA carry-on sizes though.
Indeed. I also had a Samsonite about 4 years ago, and on its second trip one of the wheels broke. Warranty sorted that, but then the handle broke on the new bag! Never been a true fan after that
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:18 pm

Programs: The 4am BP pitstop club
I used the cheap tripp luggage from debenhams for a few years, it would break every year (just got it replaced every time thanks to the warranty)

However 6/7 months ago, I won a competition and the top prize was a carry on from Tumi, at the time I just shrugged my shoulders not knowing that Tumi was quite a pricey brand. When the luggage actually turned up I was shocked at the quality of it. It's done around 50 or so flights now, been thrown around a fair bit and still looks brand new. Now having looked at the prices of the luggage online, it's fair to say it's not something you just go out and buy if you don't use it every week but if you feel it's worth the investment then I would recommend it in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:18 pm

Programs: AF-KL P | AZ CFA | SK G | LH FTL
Rimowa Salsa Air Mini, my faithful cabin bag for my weekly air commute, extremely handy and absolutely ideal for short hops

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jun 13, 18 at 3:27 pm Reason: link added.
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I used the cheap tripp luggage from debenhams for a few years, it would break every year (just got it replaced every time thanks to the warranty)

However 6/7 months ago, I won a competition and the top prize was a carry on from Tumi, at the time I just shrugged my shoulders not knowing that Tumi was quite a pricey brand. When the luggage actually turned up I was shocked at the quality of it. It's done around 50 or so flights now, been thrown around a fair bit and still looks brand new. Now having looked at the prices of the luggage online, it's fair to say it's not something you just go out and buy if you don't use it every week but if you feel it's worth the investment then I would recommend it in a heartbeat.
Interesting. I used to swear by Tumi and had a full set of Tumi luggage. However, mine have always worn out/died (except for my small "man bag"). I now go for Tripp and replace as necessary and still save money. Are Tumi more likely to be stolen/broken into?
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:52 pm

Tripp for me and usually well priced at Debenhams.
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
I think you've sold me? That 'Burnt Orange' is a genuine hit here and yes, it looks like it can get away with a lot inside! Cheers; will look for further reviews but definitely up there!(
Keep in mind the Condura is heavier. The key is you have to buy two sets of the cubes. Use both of the large ones in main compartment (they fit perfectly perpendicular to the orientation of the bag, long ways with the cubes, short ways in the bag). Then use the small ones for dirties in the middle compartment.

I've put everything in that bag for 2 weeks including a Chrome messenger bag.

I admit I travel light, but it's an awesome bag. I've sold at least 2 ex girlfriends on it.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Star Alliance Gold
I went through a succession of cheap(ish) Samsonites etc, and then started buying Briggs and Riley. My cabin bag has done about 100 flights over the last couple of years and still looks new. They also have a lifetime guarantee, even on check-in cases.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
You might also consider taking a look at various reviews of luggage in FT's Travel Products forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: