Carry on bags you'll swear by

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Briggs and Riley.

/Thread
goodeats21 and gooselee like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:37 pm

I have just bought an Away ‘carry on with pocket’ and I love it. It is great, has a removal usb charger and a pocket on the front which is so useful when on the plane and there isn’t room to open your bag up to get something out.

https://www.awaytravel.com/uk/en/
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by AllActionBarbie
I have just bought an Away ‘carry on with pocket’ and I love it. It is great, has a removal usb charger and a pocket on the front which is so useful when on the plane and there isn’t room to open your bag up to get something out.

https://www.awaytravel.com/uk/en/
I second the Away recommendation. Have just unpacked mine after three nights in Bonn. And for the first time today I saw someone else with the same bag getting on my flight ex DUS. They ship from the States but it was less than a week in transit I think when I got mine a year or so ago. It’s been around the world since then and still looks very fresh.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Briggs and Riley

Briggs and Riley Pilot Carry On has been outstanding for me over the last two years with between 2 and 5 flights a week. Never going back to Samsonite again. Still looks like new and the external frame means that 100% of the internal space is useable.

This one is compliant with all Airline size restrictions that I could find, which is important as I am often not on BA/EasyJet (who are generous with carry on size) and I have never had to check it as a consequence. To be fair though it is black and does not have a built in lock so it may not work for you.

Last edited by Robespierre; Jun 13, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by tuff
Interesting. I used to swear by Tumi and had a full set of Tumi luggage. However, mine have always worn out/died (except for my small "man bag"). I now go for Tripp and replace as necessary and still save money. Are Tumi more likely to be stolen/broken into?
I think it some of the lower end cases could be prone to that, my case just seems indestructible. As for stolen/broken in to, I wouldn't know I only have a carry on, I rarely have checked in and when I do it's still a cheap £40 tripp one from the xmas sale. There's no point investing money in to checked in luggage imho, if anything it says there might be something in it worth having.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Briggs and Riley - Superb cases with ingenious design features
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Using this one presently, ticks most the boxes and has stood up well. Came across it when searching the travel accessories thread on FT
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antler-Suitcase-Juno-Wheel-Spinner/dp/B00GGQG9WK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antler-Suitcase-Juno-Wheel-Spinner/dp/B00GGQG9WK

Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: aeroplan
I have Lipault two wheel foldable carry on suitcases and they have been awesome. I travel a fair bit and have had them for about 6 or 7 years and they still look really good. I don't have a lock but I'm not too worried about people riffling thru my bags. My family members keep asking to borrow my bags as they fit so much stuff and are really, really light. Only problem is they can look a little feminine (my husband does not really notice but never seems to take them with him if he is flying alone lol) but they do have darker colours including black - on the very rare occasions I check them, I never mistake my bags for anyone else's.

https://www.lipault-usa.com/home
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Calum
I think it some of the lower end cases could be prone to that, my case just seems indestructible. As for stolen/broken in to, I wouldn't know I only have a carry on, I rarely have checked in and when I do it's still a cheap £40 tripp one from the xmas sale. There's no point investing money in to checked in luggage imho, if anything it says there might be something in it worth having.
I will say the check-in Tumi bag I have has not held up well and the warranty service is unresponsive at best. Pretty much every zipper has broken off, the handle doesn’t retract properly, and the expand/collapse no longer collapses.

I was excited about my Raden until the ban on smart bag batteries. It was nice knowing where my bag was, its current weight, etc.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by Robespierre
Briggs and Riley Pilot Carry On has been outstanding for me over the last two years with between 2 and 5 flights a week. Never going back to Samsonite again. Still looks like new and the external frame means that 100% of the internal space is useable.

This one is compliant with all Airline size restrictions that I could find, which is important as I am often not on BA/EasyJet (who are generous with carry on size) and I have never had to check it as a consequence. To be fair though it is black and does not have a built in lock so it may not work for you.
Totally agree. I travel almost weekly and swear by Briggs and Riley. Limited colors, pricey but very thoughtfully designed and lifetime guarantee.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
@teledude: completely agree. I think there may have been a glitch in loading your hyperlink to the thread.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Osprey Porter46. This is the most ingenious bag. So light. Can use the straps to compress it to a size even Lufthansa won't make you check in. But also can be used as a back pack as the backstraps are hidden. Once I got over the "shame" of not using my Tumi 20" carry on this bag is the best thing ever.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:01 pm

RedOxx PR5 - https://www.redoxx.com/safari-beanos-bag-pr5/91031/product

Its positively *huge*. Technically slightly larger than regulation, but the long/narrow shape means that it never arouses suspicion. Fits my MacBook Pro 15 and enough clothes to last me a week.

Dead durable - had it for over 12 years, and the only issues have been a busted zip twice (repaired under the lifetime warranty both times)

Convenient - takes almost no overhead space (goes in lengthwise). If necessary being soft, it fits under the seat in front. Buncha pockets that i can segregate stuff into (ziploc travel bag on this end, pills cables etc on that end, etc.

If I take out the MBP, it'll fit in regional jet overhead bins.

Couldn't recommend it more...

​​
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have gone through several carry ons in recent years but I haven’t been able to find anything to fault on my Tumi Tegra Lite X Frame. The fact it doesn’t have zippers and is extremely durable makes it perfect for me.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:38 pm

I’ll swear by my TravelPro Crew 11 INTL rollaboard. Great for BA/AA, lot of room, and tough. Buy through amazon though, and you’ll get it a good bit cheaper than the travelpro site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.