Reload this Page >

Carry on bags you'll swear by

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on bags you'll swear by

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:20 pm

I love my Delsey Helium Aero. Only $100 on Amazon. The wheel broke on my last trip and the company sent me a new one for free!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I have two carry on bags by Delsey. One's designed to fit under the seat. The other is clearly a carry on bag. Both have wheels and hard sides in case I have to check something. I've been pleased so far with both of them.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Tredders
I went through a succession of cheap(ish) Samsonites etc, and then started buying Briggs and Riley. My cabin bag has done about 100 flights over the last couple of years and still looks new. They also have a lifetime guarantee, even on check-in cases.
Yep - +1 for the B+R

I have a feeling the precise one I have isn't a produced model any more but baseline series I guess is nearest equivalent.

Mid priced I'd call it - not quite Tumi pricing but to a certain extent you're paying for the name there imho.

But for me it ticks all boxes - max BA cabin bag size, rock solid build quality (especially the zips - they seem well up to the task of handling me refusing to check a bag unless it's a super long trip these days, so stuff is really crammed in). Plus stuff like the handle mechanism being outside the bag so interior space is maximised, detachable laptop bag strap and mesh coat holder net thingy with it's own pocket etc. In short, has really been designed with a bit of thought.

Bought mine a couple of years back and it's done ALL my shorthaul and 2/3 of my longhaul trips (plus my wife borrows it now for her biz trips also). Very happy with it.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Osprey Porter46. This is the most ingenious bag. So light. Can use the straps to compress it to a size even Lufthansa won't make you check in. But also can be used as a back pack as the backstraps are hidden. Once I got over the "shame" of not using my Tumi 20" carry on this bag is the best thing ever.
As backpacks go that looks quite interesting. But seems like discontinued so a hunt on Amazon / Ebay I guess if one wants one.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:39 am

Messed around with cheaper for years, went Briggs & Riley and never looked back. Perceived to be expensive but cheaper bags are arguably a false economy given they need replacing more frequently and if a handle goes when you're rushing to make a flight say the cost in stress is huge. B&R lifetime guarantee incl airline damage which is pretty sweet in my book.

If you travel infrequently you can get away with less but if you travel at all frequently get the good stuff so you can worry about the important stuff, not your bag.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Cool

Originally Posted by Tredders
I went through a succession of cheap(ish) Samsonites etc, and then started buying Briggs and Riley. My cabin bag has done about 100 flights over the last couple of years and still looks new. They also have a lifetime guarantee, even on check-in cases.
I wish I could convince my cheapskate travelling companions that good equipment makes a HUGE difference when traveling. I'm not saying they even should drop a wad on B&R, but something other than some $9.99 POS that invariably arrives at baggage claim wrapped in airline tape and looking like a corpse. And even if the airline doesn't break the cheap stuff up the first time out, better luggage is just easier to handle. I guess it's something you have to learn for yourself.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I choose a Travelpro Max Lite 4 International as my go to bag after trying many others.

The Briggs are nice, but they come in weighing at nearly 10lbs(9lb 3oz to be precise) empty!! The Travelpro comes in at 5lbs 9oz. That is a ridiculous weight penalty to pay for an international carry on where you might be subject to weigh in.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I now have 5 different B&R bags, but the 19" Baseline (in green) is what I use for 90% of trips. Checks all the boxes for me and the build quality is awesome.

Others I use:
- 20" wide body baseline as my checked bag if necessary
- Baseline cabin bag for shorter/casual trips
- Large tote - actually Mrs Lee's bag - she uses it as her personal item and just puts her purse inside it along with all manner of other things
- @work medium expandable brief - everyday briefcase but can expand to accommodate clothes for 1-2 night trips. Fully expanded and packed it still is acceptable to bring into a boardroom.

Great example of B&R service - when I ordered the @work I needed it quickly and couldn't wait for them to monogram it, so ordered off Amazon and got overnight shipping. Emailed B&R CS a few days later asking where I could go to get it done locally - they just replied asking for my initials and an address. Send a new monogrammed patch for free a few days later, no questions asked. Yes, that was just a cosmetic thing, but indicative of how they treat their customers and support their products.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
For rolling bags I’ve used B&R since the mid 90s. All have been soft nylon bags. I’ve beaten the hell out of them, bouncing down steps, levering over thigh high concrete barriers and so forth. Only problem I had was a stuck handle on a BRX bag and when the rocket scientists at TSA used bolt cutters on the zipper pulls on a bag, at least that’s the only was I could imagine losing both zipper pulls on the same flight while checked. And B&R fixed both plus some cosmetic damage on a very old bag. So old that when I called to arrange sending it back and described the bag color the person from B&R laughed and said we haven’t made that in that color for about 10 year. I used to travel about 250,000 miles a year too.

I dont travel nearly that much anymore and i tried a ebags hardshell bag. I have used it a huge amount but it was very inexpensive and so far I like it a lot. For bags with no wheels I use Red Oxx or Tom Bihn. For briefcase, backpacks and such, Red Oxx, SFbags/Waterfield Designs (phenomonal company) or Timbuk2.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I'm a big fan of my Nomatic Travel Bag. Had it for 18 months or so and have done up to 3 week trips with it (casual clothes only, though). I'm often hopping on a train when I get to my destination and it is great for that. Since it has no wheels it works great with cobblestone streets

When there is a chance I might have to check, I dig out my trusty 22" green B&R -- 20+ years old and still going strong...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:49 pm

I NEVER check bags and NEVER travel with a wheeled bag anymore. My backpacks are Goruck and my duffels are Red Oxx. Both are made in the USA, are nearly indestructible, and have lifetime warranties.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:09 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
My go to trio, avoid checking at all cost.

Rollerboard: BR International Baseline
Backpack: Tumi Leather Alpha 2 T-Pass,
Daily Handbag: An old 20 year old Hartmann laptop/handbag ( used daily for a decade+ for laptop-lunch and daily commute )

In a pinch when I need to go two or even more weeks with all three as carry-on works great. Sometimes zealous GA challenges and I have to gate check the Roller. Sometimes the Hartmann is squeezed into the Rollerboard and sometimes just carried empty as the Hartmann is my to and from office carry everthing with the Tumi is a bit overkill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.