Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Anyone else buy their own mini-shampoo and soaps?

Anyone else buy their own mini-shampoo and soaps?

Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Eltham, is that the best you can do at an attempt to connect one thread to another in a way you perceive as being insulting? How pathetic.

Why don't you try confining your responses to the OP's question and stop trying to punch above your weight class.
It was a serious suggestion that you dismissed with a personal attack. Nice.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:59 pm

I usually have small empty bottle and whenever need to travel, Ill use pour some inside and take it along with me. No need to buy expensive travel bottles
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
On my last trip i took a shampoo bar as I was staying in some Airbnbs and wasn't sure what they would have, but I don't normally do so. Ill probably do it again in the future as it was nice to have decent shampoo for the little bit of hair I have remaining and being a solid it didn't impact on my liquids allowance as I always 'one bag' (actually one carryon and a 'small personal bag') now and don't take hold baggage. The girlfriend also took a conditioner bar, soap bar and purchased a face wash bar whilst we were away (all same brand as my shampoo). She would also take the same stuff in future.

The bar I took was a Lush one (Honey I Washed My Hair), but I'll take something from a different brand/shop in future (not related to it's quality, just that I'm boycotting that particular shop now due to an outrageous political campaign they're running in the UK).

They were all carried in soap boxes such as this one from Muji - the sponge bit is invaluable in my opinion to stop the soap going mushy: https://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=17&Sub=72&PID=5015

Last edited by DangerM55; Jun 4, 2018 at 8:10 am
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DangerM55
The bar I took was a Lush one (Honey I Washed My Hair), but I'll take something else in future (not related to it's quality, just that I'm boycotting that particular shop now due to an outrageous politicak campaign they're running in the UK).
I feel vaguely sick every time I walk past a Lush store. The smell is so disgusting I can actually feel vomit building up.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eltham

It was a serious suggestion that you dismissed with a personal attack. Nice.
Sure it was. Why don't you do as suggested and respond to the OP. I need no suggestions from you.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I don't buy mini shampoo nor do I use what is provided by the hotel and instead bring my own in nalgene bottles. Admittedly it's a personal quirk but when travelling I feel more comfortable when I smell the same way as I do at home. I also bring a proper bar of soap with me because I despise those postage-stamp sized soaps in hard to open wrapping.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm surprised to read so many people carry their own products in refillable bottles. I thought I was the only one! I need a lot of conditioner for my hair, so it's easier to bring my own than keep asking the front desk for extra bottles. I had generally gotten by with the shampoos on offer, but after one bad allergic reaction I started packing that, too.

Nice to know I'm not alone.

Oh, and to the other part of the OP's question -- since I wasn't relying on Marriott for the toiletries, it really doesn't impact my decision to stay or not.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by haa
I always remember those good-shampoo-bottle hotels fondly when using the old bottles with the hotel name on maybe a missed marketing opportunity, "travel well with X hotel, please reuse me".
malmaison (UK Hotel chain of mostly 'boutique' type hotels)actively encourage people to nick their shampoo, and it's actually really good stuff too! https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3380603/psoriasis-cured-hotel-free-shampoo/amp/
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I feel vaguely sick every time I walk past a Lush store. The smell is so disgusting I can actually feel vomit building up.
Off topic but I always used to get a headache from going in there when I used to have to pop in with the girls from work when we went into town on a lunch break, but recently the girlfriend has got me used to it and I was actually quite liking their products until last week when they put me off the brand for life!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

What happened last week?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What happened last week?
Ill PM so as not to take the topic too far off track with my personal beef!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Received with thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Yes, I strongly dislike the bulk dispensers some hotels have and more seem to be going to. We have a collection of mini bottles that were either samples, purchased, or from previous hotel stays that we bring at times. Will need to make a habit of bringing them all the times

That said, the reusable mini bottles are the best idea, if I remember to get some and fill them up. Get my own stuff and be a little more environmentally responsible.
freecia likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Soap bars (mini-sized) & TP

DH has severe allergies, including to fragrances, so lathering up his body with unknown smelly substances (yikes, that sounds rather different from what I was intending! )... is of concern.

At home, we use Dove soap bars, the type with no fragrance/etc.

What I do is, as each bar gets partly/mostly used up, I grab it, and put out a fresh one.
I collect the "remainder bars" in a couple off sizes, and then we take the "sizes" we need depending upon travel pattern. Then I put them in little ziploc baggies.
For a lengthy stay, we might just bring a couple of new, regular sized bars. For single nights, I'll bring a "little one" for each single night. We then just leave it behind, and never need to deal with transporting wet soap.
For a few short stays, we'll take a few "not too tiny" remnants, or if we've got a bunch of little ones, I'll just take those.

As an additional tip, regarding TP... there can be places where one expects to need to provide one's own, and then there are the "surprise" locations...!
For those, I wait for rolls of TP at home to be "mostly used", and when there is something like 1/4 inch of the paper left on the roll, I remove it and replace with a new bar of soap... I mean roll of TP .
Each "partial roll" just gets flattened, and several can go in a ziploc. (Sucking the air out, makes it a packet that can fit just about anywhere, as it's rather pliable.)
And 2-3 of them in a small ziplock can easily fit in just about any small pack/purse "just in case" one is surprised with a TP shortage when needed.

I think it took our housekeeper a bit of time to realize that we *really* did not want those soap and TP "dregs" thrown out, and we hadn't lost our minds!

GC
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:57 am

In Germany they sell those travel sizes in some larger supermarkets and most dm, rossmann and budni stores. In good mostly easy to re-use containers even. They have everything from mouthwash and toothpaste over lotions and soap and even sunscreen. It's wonderful for travelling with carry on as the liquid rules are still enforced and an industry has built around it.
I especially like that I can get stuff hotels might not provide in travel kit size like sunscreen a good mouthwash and a good hand lotion.
I sometimes refill cause the tiny bottles are comparatively pricey and throwing the used ones away seems wasteful but I enjoy that I can even stock up on the road

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.