FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Sales and Discounts on Briggs & Riley and Tumi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1910267-sales-discounts-briggs-riley-tumi.html)

chasro May 20, 2018 11:30 am

Sales and Discounts on Briggs & Riley and Tumi

If I wanted to get either Tumi or Briggs and Riley on sale, what are my options besides hoping for the right bag to pop up on clearance somewhere?

I know Tumi does a big annual sale (March?) and a semi-annual sale (June?). Not sure about B&R.

Does Nordstrom put either brand on sale during their anniversary sale? Is there some other place I should be checking?

OceanAir May 23, 2018 11:02 am

Nordstrom does put Tumi bags on sale when they have their summer sale. If memory serves, they take off about 30% on Tumi bags; forget about getting the color you want on popular models.

chasro May 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks.

Ironically, I got a call from the local Tumi store telling me that their summer sale started today. A few colors of the Merge carry-on are on sale for 20% off, but not the blue one.

Nordstrom has started their summer sale, but it doesn't look like much luggage is on sale right now.

drewguy May 23, 2018 2:19 pm

I managed to get a 10% discount on B&R when I bought two bags at a luggage shop in Tysons Corner (near Washington DC). Nothing advertised, so I'm guessing this was one of those shop flexibility things where the management has authorized salespeople to give modest unadvertised discounts (which I think very few companies prohibit even if they have aggressive suggested advertised pricing policies).

chasro May 23, 2018 9:23 pm

So I found a 22” B&R Baseline at Amazon for $441, which I presume is a good price. If not, please let me know.

OceanAir May 24, 2018 9:37 am

The price seems decent, especially when compared to the same model sitting next to it, except in a different color. One thing though, the Merge is an international carry on vs the B&R which is not..

I was looking at the Tumi sale as well. I ran across this and it is an international carry on, in blue with a steep discount. It is not a spinner though. I have heard good and bad things about this model, but if it covers 8 or 9 out of 10 things you are looking for, and is marked down significantly, why not.

https://www.tumi.com/p/international...on-022020BAL2E

chasro May 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks. The store near my office didn't have it, so I'll may have to try another store. The B&R is spacious though thanks to the handle bars being located on the outside of the bag...

legionnaire May 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by OceanAir (Post 29789833)
I was looking at the Tumi sale as well. I ran across this and it is an international carry on, in blue with a steep discount. It is not a spinner though. I have heard good and bad things about this model, but if it covers 8 or 9 out of 10 things you are looking for, and is marked down significantly, why not.

https://www.tumi.com/p/international...on-022020BAL2E

@OceanAir I'm looking at that. What are the good and bad you've heard? Care to enumerate?

LondonElite May 24, 2018 4:46 pm

OP, you are aware that Tumi has outlet stores, right? The one near my vacation home just slapped a ‘take an additional 40% off’ on most things.

OceanAir May 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by legionnaire (Post 29791300)

@OceanAir I'm looking at that. What are the good and bad you've heard? Care to enumerate?

@legionnaire

The pros that I am familiar with that have been mentioned to me and come up elsewhere:
1) The wheels are great.
2) The bag is easy to maneuver.

The Cons:
1) The bag is heavy
2) The handle feels flimsy
3) Usually the price. (not this time though)

From my own personal experience with other Tumi international carry-on's I can add a few things: The suiter is ridiculous. It is very small and flimsy. I am always anxious to unpack any suit I have in there. That is the biggest issue for me without question. Also, I am not sure how well the color blue is going to deal with wear and tear. Granted, blue is easy to spot if you are forced to gate check something, but I also suspect that any damage is going to appear more pronounced.

I have never had issues with any Tumi bags I have. In fact, they have served me well over the years and i will continue to buy them. Also, I dont think the bag is that heavy, but that is me. I hope some of this helps.

legionnaire May 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29791308)
OP, you are aware that Tumi has outlet stores, right? The one near my vacation home just slapped a ‘take an additional 40% off’ on most things.

Good point.

legionnaire May 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by OceanAir (Post 29791436)
@legionnaire
The Cons:
1) The bag is heavy

Indeed at 9 lbs empty (33L), its a lot heavier than Travelpro Platinum Magna 2 (7.7 lbs, 49.4L?) or the Eagle Cree Tarmac International Carry on (6.9 lbs, 33L) or even the Eagle Creek Expanse Carry on (5.15lb, 38L) I am looking at. The Suiter doesn't matter to me. I need two wheels (therefore no spinners).

MSPeconomist May 24, 2018 7:34 pm

The luggage/fravel store in my AAA office seems to give their standard member discounts on the Tumi and Briggs & Riley pieces they carry. I think it's a 10% discount for most members. This would be year round, but I don't know whether they can special order items not in stock or not normally carried and still give the discount.

DangerM55 Jun 4, 2018 8:23 am

I got [what i think is] an excellent price on my B&R by buying from Amazon Warehouse. It was a brand new sealed unit, but I purchased knowing that it would be easy to return if it wasn't in good shape when it arrived.

I paid £262. The price new was £324, so a 20% discount basically.

gooselee Jun 5, 2018 10:18 pm

B&R has stuff on sale occasionally when they come out with an updated version. Some of their @work stuff just dropped about 20%. Of course...then I looked and liked the new ones better...