Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Any experience with the Marlon Carry-on Luggage?

Any experience with the Marlon Carry-on Luggage?

Old Jun 26, 18, 10:27 am

I was very intrigued by the marketing and the look and got the carry on.

TL/DR: How much you like the bag is up to you but it's a border-line scam when it comes to Return Policy and customer support.

I received the bag and decided that I wanted to return it. Compared to other bags with similar price point, it wasn't manufactured as well: small pockets, the touted compression doesn't lock in extended position. No big deal, not everyone has to like the product.

Problems with the Return

The problems started when I tried to return. The site touts super easy return everywhere on the site. Just send the email to team at marlontravel.co and it will be taken care of? Nope.
  • My two emails were ignored. No response either way. I did see one of them being opened (I am a MixMax user).
  • The phone number on the site on the Help page goes straight to voicemail, and no one returns those calls either.
Being thrown out of the Live Chat

I tried the Live Chat. I decided to first ask something about the product, as an interested buyer. I got a quick response. I then asked about assistance with the return. I was asked to email the same address that I tried earlier. When I said I had no response, they asked me if I bought through the Flash Sale. I was then informed that Flash Sale items are final and non-refundable.

See the carry-on product page, nowhere does it suggest that the product is non-refundable! The page continues to advertise no-hassle return.

When, I informed the live chat agent of that, I was literally disconnected from the chat.

Filtered Negative Reviews

Upon receipt of my luggage, I was asked to complete a review. I wrote a negative review of the product, since, well, by now I was dissatisfied with both the product and the rude (non-existent) customer service.

If you see the reviews, they're all glowing 4 & 5 star reviews. Not a single review with lower stars. Yup, mine got filtered out too.

Conclusion

Do you want to buy from a dishonest company that just wants to make a sale? Most of us don't. So don't waste your time.

Disclaimer-ish

No, I'm not hired by a competitor. I'm just a pissed off customer
Old Jun 27, 18, 10:39 am

I'll point out their "Flash Sale" is STILL GOING, nearly 2 months later. Gregs, I would contact your CC issuer and pursue a chargeback. Their website indicates they accept returns, you tried to initiate one, you're unhappy with the product you received and they're not following their own policy. It's worth a shot at this point.

I wouldn't go as far as calling this company a scam, you did receive the suitcase after all, but the behavior is pretty common with small start-ups. They have flashy marketing images, make lots of promises, they name drop publications without any real connection to them, and when it comes to actual customer service beyond the sale they have zero.
Old Jun 28, 18, 2:26 pm

Programs: United
I was an original backer on Kickstarter. It was late but that's been the case with anything I've backed on Kickstarter. But this company exhorted an additional $40 to actually get the bag once it was ready.

They do have a great web site however. Flash sale still going on; for less than what I paid as a backer. I searched the web sites of the publications whose logos appear. I couldn't find any reviews, just some mentions of the Kickstarter campaign.

The bag holds a lot for its size. It looks sleek and seems reasonably sturdy. Except for one thing: one of the two telescoping posts that connect the handle to the bag was loose. I don't know if it's a design flaw or a manufacturing defect. I have not been able to figure out a way to secure the post to the bag. So it sits at just enough of an angle so that when raising or lowering the handle it always jams. When walking with the bag it bounces against the post.

I have attempted to contact Marlon through their web site, using live chat, by e-mail. No reply. The (Google Voice) phone number on the web site goes straight to voice mail. I also left a less than stellar review. But of course it didn't get posted. It's clear the web site is still being updated, but it's only there to make new sales, not to help customers.

It's very disappointing. Their early campaign updates made them sound like a serious group of designers who wanted to make a functional and stylish carry-on bag with advanced features at an affordable price. They seem to have lost their way.
Old Jun 28, 18, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA
I think the latest posts have sealed the deal for me. Thanks for taking one for the team.
Old Jul 6, 18, 9:13 am

I first backed the project on Kickstarter in 08/16. I stuck with them through all the manufacturing delays and even paid the extra cost overrun because I wanted to support a small startup - finally, after more than a year I received my bag in 10/17. Well, here I am now with a bag that was damaged after only being used 3x and not one reply from their customer service. I used the online chat from their website 2x, emailed, tried calling and only got their voicemail - no response and it's been over a week. I can't even express the disappointment and regret of buying this bag.

I do not recommend this bag.
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:26 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Just got my bag, and unfortunately I am less than impressed; considering attempting a return. Here are my concerns so that they may help others who see this:

1) The top handle is rigid. Most airlines carry-on size restrictions are similar to this (taken from AS website): "22'' x 14'' x 9'' - these dimensions include the wheels and handles." The dimensions of this bag are 23.5 x 14 x 10. The 10" dimension is the front pocket, so if you never, ever fill it full, that will compress in and fit in the sizer; however the top handle to wheels dimension is too big - plain and simple. And what happens if you get called out on that? It's rigid - it doesn't compress, you can't remove it (I checked to see if it was put on with screws - it's not, it's put on with rivets, not that it would be particularly handy to remove that handle from a functional standpoint).

2) The expand/compress feature is pretty clunky. It is hard for me to get it to expand at all. When it is expanded, the mechanism doesn't expand it rigidly and I'm thinking that if you checked it in, the weird mechanism may well get broken. In the end, I think the age old simple zipper design likely would have been better.

3) The telescoping handle rails and battery pack protrusion take more space than I thought. This is likely a lesser concern to most, but I was led to believe that these were less significant - My previous carry-on (may it RIP - thank you, AS) had a flat bottom and it was far, far easier to pack. On the other hand, other than the protrusions on the bottom which I may be able to accept, the inside is virtually a square, which is my preference as opposed to the numerous tapered bags on the market. Lastly, it is worth noting that overall the interior space is cavernous due to the wheel design, again a positive so I may well be able to overcome this.

4) It's heavy. Looking at possibly flying Norwegian, one gets a 10kg total limit for carry-on + personal item. That's crazy talk, but you can't start out with an 7.2 pound suitcase if you only get 22lb total. And, unfortunately, I think that is sort of the reality we are heading for. This I cannot count as a surprise, that is clearly disclosed on the site - just pointing it out as an observation.
Old Aug 7, 18, 1:23 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by gregs View Post
I was very intrigued by the marketing and the look and got the carry on.

TL/DR: How much you like the bag is up to you but it's a border-line scam when it comes to Return Policy and customer support.

I received the bag and decided that I wanted to return it. Compared to other bags with similar price point, it wasn't manufactured as well: small pockets, the touted compression doesn't lock in extended position. No big deal, not everyone has to like the product.

Problems with the Return

The problems started when I tried to return. The site touts super easy return everywhere on the site. Just send the email to team at marlontravel.co and it will be taken care of? Nope.
  • My two emails were ignored. No response either way. I did see one of them being opened (I am a MixMax user).
  • The phone number on the site on the Help page goes straight to voicemail, and no one returns those calls either.
Being thrown out of the Live Chat

I tried the Live Chat. I decided to first ask something about the product, as an interested buyer. I got a quick response. I then asked about assistance with the return. I was asked to email the same address that I tried earlier. When I said I had no response, they asked me if I bought through the Flash Sale. I was then informed that Flash Sale items are final and non-refundable.

See the carry-on product page, nowhere does it suggest that the product is non-refundable! The page continues to advertise no-hassle return.

When, I informed the live chat agent of that, I was literally disconnected from the chat.

Filtered Negative Reviews

Upon receipt of my luggage, I was asked to complete a review. I wrote a negative review of the product, since, well, by now I was dissatisfied with both the product and the rude (non-existent) customer service.

If you see the reviews, they're all glowing 4 & 5 star reviews. Not a single review with lower stars. Yup, mine got filtered out too.

Conclusion

Do you want to buy from a dishonest company that just wants to make a sale? Most of us don't. So don't waste your time.

Disclaimer-ish

No, I'm not hired by a competitor. I'm just a pissed off customer
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
Just got my bag, and unfortunately I am less than impressed; considering attempting a return. Here are my concerns so that they may help others who see this:

1) The top handle is rigid. Most airlines carry-on size restrictions are similar to this (taken from AS website): "22'' x 14'' x 9'' - these dimensions include the wheels and handles." The dimensions of this bag are 23.5 x 14 x 10. The 10" dimension is the front pocket, so if you never, ever fill it full, that will compress in and fit in the sizer; however the top handle to wheels dimension is too big - plain and simple. And what happens if you get called out on that? It's rigid - it doesn't compress, you can't remove it (I checked to see if it was put on with screws - it's not, it's put on with rivets, not that it would be particularly handy to remove that handle from a functional standpoint).

2) The expand/compress feature is pretty clunky. It is hard for me to get it to expand at all. When it is expanded, the mechanism doesn't expand it rigidly and I'm thinking that if you checked it in, the weird mechanism may well get broken. In the end, I think the age old simple zipper design likely would have been better.

3) The telescoping handle rails and battery pack protrusion take more space than I thought. This is likely a lesser concern to most, but I was led to believe that these were less significant - My previous carry-on (may it RIP - thank you, AS) had a flat bottom and it was far, far easier to pack. On the other hand, other than the protrusions on the bottom which I may be able to accept, the inside is virtually a square, which is my preference as opposed to the numerous tapered bags on the market. Lastly, it is worth noting that overall the interior space is cavernous due to the wheel design, again a positive so I may well be able to overcome this.

4) It's heavy. Looking at possibly flying Norwegian, one gets a 10kg total limit for carry-on + personal item. That's crazy talk, but you can't start out with an 7.2 pound suitcase if you only get 22lb total. And, unfortunately, I think that is sort of the reality we are heading for. This I cannot count as a surprise, that is clearly disclosed on the site - just pointing it out as an observation.
Just a follow up with some further information:

I took my bag to the airport. It decidedly doesn't fit in AS's sizer. It does fit in AA's and UA's - but that's because their design has an opening on each end, so the handle does protrude. Hard to say if a picky agent would call you on that. And hard to say if AS will ask me to put it in a sizer, but it's not a risk I want to have to take...
  • 7/19 I chatted with them, expressed my concerns. Was told that the handle was flexible and it did fit in all sizers. My handle is not flexible; not sure if there is variability or what. They asked me to email customer care; so I did, same day
  • 7/20 customer care responded stating that it does fit in the sizer of all US airlines, but I was welcome to return it and to respond if I needed return instructions
  • 7/20 - I responded requesting return instructions
  • 7/29 - I responded again, requesting return instructions
  • 8/7 - I tried to chat them, online chat doesn't seem to work today
  • 8/7 - I tried to call them; it went straight to google voice, I left a message asking them to call me
  • 8/7 - I responded, again, to their previous email, as well as filled out their online form - in both cases asking for return instructions.
Honestly, I like the bag overall. It's got the flaws as noted above, but mostly I would have positive things to say. However, the handle issue is really a deal breaker; it simply doesn't fit in the sizer of my primary airline, and I bought this to use as a carry-on bag; not a risk I should have to take. If that's something that's OK with you, go for it. But know that the lifetime warranty and returns are not likely to be easy to deal with.
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Wow, sorry to see the poor experience with customer service here. I don't know why or how, but every time i reached out to them, it was a fairly immediate response.

On my 3rd or 4th trip with the bag, I found one of the USB ports was broken / cracked. Not a deal-breaker, but just disappointing that it broke after so few uses.I emailed them with a photo, asking if there's a new port that can be sent out. Within 24 hours, I got an email saying they were sending me a whole new bag, at no cost (not even shipping), and I could keep the old one. I was pretty blown away. Now I have two of them, along with the backpack (which honestly has turned out to be the best out of the two items I purchased)

Is it the best bag out there? No, there are definitely better options. I don't want to spend a lot on a bag, but for me - it's comfortable, functional, holds a lot of stuff compared to my older Ricardo spinner. It is on the heavy side, but aside from the USB port that broke, I've put probably close to 8 overseas international flights on it, and about 30 domestic flights, without any functional issues. I also haven't had any issues fitting this into overhead bins on MD-88, MD-90, 717, 767 (Delta One), A330 (Delta One), Embraer 175, 737-8/9, 757 - All Delta equipment.
Old Sep 8, 18, 6:25 pm

My favorite luggage brand is Delsey, which is a company based in France. Their luggage is durable, stylish, and lightweight. They are also known for great customer service. Take a look at Delsey reviews and see if it is suitable for your needs.
Old Nov 14, 18, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL DM (for now) 2MM
Just got an email that the Marlon carry on is on sale for $109 and the backpack for $49 if you use the code FALL at checkout.

I've been having some back issue so on my next couple of trips I was looking for a rolling carryon instead of my Nomatic and looked at this one before choosing an eBags Motherload roller.

This might be a new model coming out or maybe just trying to sell as much inventory before they close -- but if you were on the fence, this might be helpful.
Old Nov 24, 18, 6:59 pm

Programs: Air NZ
Team Marlon not interested in customer service and follow up

I still have not had the pleasure of using the Marlon "uber-functional" carry on as it was promoted to me as an early and original backer.
What was delivered to me was not functional and was missing the key component of the battery pack.

But I am fully able to review Team Marlon - because I have sent innumerable emails and still find it very hard to make contact with anyone.
Team Marlon have shown no integrity about follow up and delivery of the product they promoted, and which I backed and purchased.
They tried to blame the shippers and tell me that delivery without the integral battery was not their problem.
The issue of the faulty wheels didn't even raise a response from them.
They eventually conceded in January this year that they would replace my bag from their next production run - but I've not heard from them since.

Before committing to a purchase I recommend you think carefully and check all online reviews (not just those on the company's website).
The Marlon Website shows only positive reviews and you would have to believe the uncomplimentary reviews are sifted out.
Reviews on other sites from initial backers and purchasers are very revealing about the lack of regard Team Marlon have for their customers and original backers.
I am very disappointed in the experience and the product I received.
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ
seriously I would encourage you to go with a company that stands by it's products and one you can elicit a response from when things go wrong. My personal experience has been that my attempt to contact them about a faulty / incomplete product has been ignored and I still have no contact let alone a solution from them