Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to buy MED and XL travel bags

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Looking to buy MED and XL travel bags

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone, as it´s my first post! My pleasure to be here.

I´m looking to buy two bags for my future travels, as I´m tired of broken wheels and buying new bags all the time (non-brand models).
The last drop was when wheels started to give up on my vacation in Japan. I´m still here, btw.

After reading this forum, I decided to get:
- BR XL bag for 2-4 weeks trips. Seems like BR is loved by majority of travelers. Super quality and best warranty. Can´t go wrong with it?
- Rimowa MED bag for more frequent travels. Superb quality. "only" 5 years warranty, but I hope it will take beating for the next 10-20 years?
One of benefits at my job, is 32kg check-inn bag on 90% of my travels. So weight is not the biggest issue for me (although I do prefer lighter bags).

Now, it gets slightly complicated.
Rimowa is expensive. It´s even more expensive in Japan. Back in Europe I can get it for 500€ (after tax). In Japan, the very same bag would cost me 800€ (after tax) Imo, huge difference.
I do need to buy at least one more bag to take all my stuff with me back from Japan (even if I continue with half-broken wheels). They don´t sell BR here.

So, I plan to get "decent" bag here, so I can take it back home with me now, have it as a back-up. Buy BR and Rimowa once I get back to Europe.

Here is my questions:
What do you think about BR XL and Rimowa MED combination?

What bag should I get now to take back with me from Japan?
My options are:
- Delsey Helium Air 2 (250$) - mostly great reviews. Seems to be a good quality. I´m sceptical about those tiny plastic wheels. Any other model I should consider?
- Victorinox - have not checked models yet, but the price on avg. is 500$+. Mixed reviews, from great to awful.
- Frequenter (model 1624) - Japanese brand (250$). Amazing wheels. Easy to change (they sell replacement at the store). 1 year warranty and I need to send it back to Japan to fix (in case something happened)
- Samsonite/American T. - 100-500$. I have carry on samsonite (cheapest one) and Im happy with it. After thousands of miles (and several check-inns), only problem with 1 zipper. But for (some) reason samsonite/AT don´t get too many prices here.

I´m more inclined towards Delsey or Frequenter. Same price/size. Delsey offers 10 years warranty (how good is their warranty/customer service?). Seems like wheels would give up quickly, but could be easily changed. I prefer their zippers and handle. Frequenter - best wheels I´ve seen on a luggage in a long time and seems to be good quality. No/few reviews.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Pashka

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.