Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honest thoughts on Briggs & Riley?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks but I own multiple spinners and don’t like them nearly as much as uprights. It’s not a matter of not having exposure to them, it’s simply preferring something different.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:45 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Consultette
Thanks but I own multiple spinners and don’t like them nearly as much as uprights. It’s not a matter of not having exposure to them, it’s simply preferring something different.
When I'm making the long hike thru some airports/subway and got my backpack ( two laptops ) and fully packed roller it is close to 50lbs, find spinner taking all the weight far better than me pulling at angle, YMMV.

But many a times wish my spinner had two larger wheels when I pull it like a two wheeler.

Bags are like many things in life a delicate balance of compromises of various attributes and price/value

Originally Posted by freemanzhu

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over whether your bag is a half inch over the airline's specified size. In reality they almost never check for size unless your bag is visibly larger than a normal carry-on, and even the sizers are larger than specified. B&R's hard spinners all fit fine in my experience - .
All comes down to the GA and their mood that moment. If they have an agenda and on a power trip, good luck, LOL.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: United
Sigh...I just spent the past 2 hours trying to learn to pack my new B&R Baseline international spinner the way I’ve been packing my trusty 22” Victorinox Werks rollerboard for the past 10 years (20 annual trips/year). I’m really disappointed to say that it’s just not going to work for me.
Basically, it’s too small to allow me to hang a sports coat and suit in the Suiter section. Therefore I would need to fold both coats and slacks etc etc. which is just not how I’ve taught myself to travel on business. My wife is encouraging me to take it on this weekend’s 4 day trip to NYC but I’m concluding I should just sell it and cut my losses before it has any wear and tear. 2 questions:
1. Anyone else go through this “downsizing” before and come out happier?
2. Anyone want to buy this beautiful but small case if I decide to sell it?
I was sooo looking forward to this upgrade but now I’m just bummed out.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I recently purchased a B&R baseline domestic spinner instead of a TUMI Alpha 2 carry-on (I own a larger TUMI Alpha 2 checked bag and was initially set to just get the carry-on, but some research steered me toward also considering B&R; I didn't consider Rimowa due to weight and lack of expansion of their Topas series, and not being a fan of Salsa/Bolero), primarily due to the TUMI opening in the middle while of the suitcase and the B&R opening on the top. It makes storage in the hotel room and pulling toiletries etc. out at security in Europe and Asia just much easier. After a few trips, the quality has been outstanding. I have no qualms recommending it.

Before the purchase, I couldn't imagine using a spinner over a 2-wheeler, but I decided to give it a try and, actually, it is lovely. It is significant less work to travel with it than a 2-wheeler and I had no problems with it falling over even if packed full yet (which was mentioned in some other threads). Not even if then compressed down a bit, but I have to admit it became less stable (and it might very well tip over if compressed from maximum expansion). I also did not notice that it was slowing me down at the airport, though this might come from the part that I stopped running at the airport a while ago (planning flights properly with alternatives usually works out better). The handle took a bit to get used to initially. I am not extending it to the top, but actually the lowest position because it aligns with the handles of my laptop bag as well as a more natural position for walking.

The space works for me, but if you are often tight on space in your carry-on, you might want to go with the 2-wheeler (it is a little less than 0.8 inch more space in one direction internally). Similarly, if you are often walking/running over rough terrain (and not just from airport to taxi/Uber to hotel and back), then a 2-wheeler might be better.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bookeew
Before the purchase, I couldn't imagine using a spinner over a 2-wheeler, but I decided to give it a try and, actually, it is lovely. It is significant less work to travel with it than a 2-wheeler and I had no problems with it falling over even if packed full yet (which was mentioned in some other threads). Not even if then compressed down a bit, but I have to admit it became less stable (and it might very well tip over if compressed from maximum expansion). I also did not notice that it was slowing me down at the airport, though this might come from the part that I stopped running at the airport a while ago (planning flights properly with alternatives usually works out better). The handle took a bit to get used to initially. I am not extending it to the top, but actually the lowest position because it aligns with the handles of my laptop bag as well as a more natural position for walking.
Spinners are terrain dependent. Smooth enough and they're better but when there are bumps two wheels work much better.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: United
Thanks for the comments. I’m currently on my 2nd business trip with it. 4 days in NYC we’re pretty tight and folding suits is still a new experience for me. I’m now on a 2 night trip to Atlanta and it packed really well. I’m liking it the more I use it but the spinner is still a little annoying to me versus the 2 wheeler. I’m sure in time I’ll get better and managing it on and off escalators, not letting go of it on trains and gradients. I’ll be keeping it and if/when I do anything over 3 days I’ll just pull out the Victorinox 22”.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
tagging on to this thread since it is pretty recent.
I'm about to hit the "buy" button on a 22" domestic expandable upright baseline. My only hesitation is, seriously, going through security and the bag limit at heathrow. What is the likelihood I won't make it through a bag size check there? (I've had bad experiences with the liquid thing there and having to repack in one of their bags versus mine)
I currently travel with one of two carry-ons that are labeled as 22" but have usually checked them for long trips. I'd like to have the option to carryong though.
Both are slightly taller than 22". Both are also a bit deeper than the B&R. I've never had an issue with either other than having to gate check on regional planes which I expect. One is an older Atlantic from 20 years ago, the other an Ogio.
I am looking at likely having some connections in LHR in the future and the Heathrow web site seems to make a big deal about the luggage size fitting into the sizer before security. Am I over-thinking this?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aj411
tagging on to this thread since it is pretty recent.
I'm about to hit the "buy" button on a 22" domestic expandable upright baseline. My only hesitation is, seriously, going through security and the bag limit at heathrow. What is the likelihood I won't make it through a bag size check there? (I've had bad experiences with the liquid thing there and having to repack in one of their bags versus mine)
I currently travel with one of two carry-ons that are labeled as 22" but have usually checked them for long trips. I'd like to have the option to carryong though.
Both are slightly taller than 22". Both are also a bit deeper than the B&R. I've never had an issue with either other than having to gate check on regional planes which I expect. One is an older Atlantic from 20 years ago, the other an Ogio.
I am looking at likely having some connections in LHR in the future and the Heathrow web site seems to make a big deal about the luggage size fitting into the sizer before security. Am I over-thinking this?
I have traveled through LHR many times with my B&R 22" bag. It has never been a problem with security in LHR. I have traveled throughout the world with this bag with no problems except for Air Morocco where I had to check it. They only let personal item for carry-on.
aj411 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
thank you. Just what I was looking for. I completely understand that any day, at any security checkpoint or airline that I may have to check a bag. Just was looking for an experienced opinion with LHR. I haven't been impressed with my trips through there for whatever reason.

AJ
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:30 am
ZCT

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite (Life), Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I've been a professional traveller for 8 years now, and was a bit slow to move to premium luggage as airlines can be so brutal with check bags.

However I did switch to Briggs & Riley Baseline having reviewed other choices out there. Even on 20% off sale Tumi was just too much, nearly $700 more expensive for the two pieces I wanted (check and wheel brief). I feel that the lifetime warranty is a bit of a gimmick as I realize that eventually if the cosmetics are compromised I'll be looking to replace it anyway regardless of warranty.

I do like the CX packing system. Worked great. I also like the system of stacking two bags, although it wasn't perfect.

I'm going to need to put some serious miles on the bags to see how they hold up. But first impressions are very favorable, and I'm glad I went back to soft side bags from hard side.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Ryanair Platinum
Sorry for the bump but how are we feeling about the INTERNATIONAL CARRY-ON EXPANDABLE WIDE-BODY UPRIGHT (TWO-WHEEL).

I'm reading mixed reviews on wether or not this fits in the overhead cabin space and that the sizes displayed on their website are actually correct. Any experience?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jvde
Sorry for the bump but how are we feeling about the INTERNATIONAL CARRY-ON EXPANDABLE WIDE-BODY UPRIGHT (TWO-WHEEL).

I'm reading mixed reviews on wether or not this fits in the overhead cabin space and that the sizes displayed on their website are actually correct. Any experience?

is there an aircraft in particular you are concerned with? I fly quite a bit and maybe there was one aircraft that was an issue.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: United, American
Originally Posted by jvde

Its 21.5 x 8.8 x 15.5 according to amazon, but I see varying dimensions on other site

Why not go with a bag that's confirmed 21.5 x 9 x 14 and domestic compliant as well.

Last edited by Tesla1856; Nov 24, 2019 at 11:34 am
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA
I have three B&R products (wheeled rollaboard, duffel, and toiletry kit) that I've had for close to 30 years and are my travel luggage staples. I also have two B&R briefcase bags: one softsided that is my go-to carryon, and one that is wheeled and is more protective of things like laptops and other electronics but is not compressible and is usually not welcome on small regional jets. I never had any other soft- or hard-sided luggage last as long as the B&R pieces. I can't comment on newer B&R products because I haven't bought any for the last 20 years or so, but the ones that I have that are even older than that are highly durable and still look as good as ever. I only had to avail myself of the warranty once: a few zipper pulls broke or came off the hooks they were attached to on the rollaboard. I drove about 1/2 hr away to drop it off for repair and went back a week or two later to pick it up. Overall, I have been really pleased with the quality, durability, and warranty of B&R products and have never needed to buy anything else. The lifetime warranty removes any doubt for me that they're worth the money.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
B&R question - this is the most recent thread so I thought I'd ask here: Great deal on a Torq hard side spinner. What is the "honest," as per the name of the thread, deal regarding Torq repairs??? I'm looking to spend a bit more for the lifetime warranty, however, if all Torq repairs require shipping (as a number of folks here and other places have mentioned) the deal really isn't good at all. There are a few local repair centers but again, if shipping back to B&R is required, it's a deal breaker - as opposed to being able to walk to the local shop.

Thanks
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.