Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Zipperless AND 70/30 split - Does that exist in luggage?

Old Jan 24, 18, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

I've been looking for a new hardsided luggage set (carryon and medium/large size).

I can find numerous zipperless clamshells and numerous zippered 70/30 split sets. But for some strange reason, I've got it into my head that I want both criteria in one product. Is there such a product out there? Google doesn't seem to pull up anything. I really like the Lojel brand; however the 70/30 split line has a zipper, while the zipperless ones are all 50/50 clamshell models.

I'm not traveling until August, so I am not pressed for time.

TIA.
Old Jan 24, 18, 5:06 pm

Perhaps this Lojel one is to your liking: https://www.lojel.com/luggage/octa-2/ It is perhaps a 60/40 split and zipper less with 4 latches. No carry on size though only medium or large. I do not think I have ever seen a 70/30 split on a bag with a clamp/latch system.
Old Jan 24, 18, 9:09 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Lojel is at a lower price point with the latches and split top/bottom ratio at about 40/60. Very usable as we have two mediums. The top compartment has a zipper closure.

At a higher price point and weight is the Pelican luggage from the Pelican case people with a real lid and case system at a lower weight than their equipment cases.

If you can handle the weight penalty their "Air" line of equipment cases is another possibility for lid/case setup.

I used to be a Samsonite Oyster fanboy until I bought a Lojel to try due to the lid/bottom split and have been using them more and more as the slipe top/case make living out of a suitcase easier than a 50/50 split. DW and I just love the way you can open it to access your stuff.
The Lojel med and large are 5 and 6 kgs respectively.
The Pelican is used for fragile stuff that needs to be shipped and tossed by airlines. The weight penalty is double the Lojel
Old Jan 24, 18, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Lojel is at a lower price point with the latches and split top/bottom ratio at about 40/60. Very usable as we have two mediums. The top compartment has a zipper closure.
Lojel mentions their "double zippers" are more secure than regular zippers. None of the photos I've found are close enough for me to see what they mean. Are there two zippers right next to each other, or what? I'm use to stuffing my old Kmart and other hand me down soft sided cases to the point of the zippers ripping at the fabric part. How sturdy are the zippers on the two mediums you have? I know the hard side can't handle being overly stuffed, so I just have to learn how to "not stuff"
Old Jan 24, 18, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Lojel mentions their "double zippers" are more secure than regular zippers. None of the photos I've found are close enough for me to see what they mean. Are there two zippers right next to each other, or what? I'm use to stuffing my old Kmart and other hand me down soft sided cases to the point of the zippers ripping at the fabric part. How sturdy are the zippers on the two mediums you have? I know the hard side can't handle being overly stuffed, so I am trying to learn how to "not stuff"
Old Jan 25, 18, 2:17 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan View Post
Lojel mentions their "double zippers" are more secure than regular zippers. None of the photos I've found are close enough for me to see what they mean. Are there two zippers right next to each other, or what? I'm use to stuffing my old Kmart and other hand me down soft sided cases to the point of the zippers ripping at the fabric part. How sturdy are the zippers on the two mediums you have? I know the hard side can't handle being overly stuffed, so I am trying to learn how to "not stuff"
NO ZIPPER HARDSIDE FOR ME as the zipper bears the load of the two halves when they are being tossed around. I see people rolling their zippered hardshell on uneven pavement and you can see the two halves twisting in different directions.

My Lojels are the Octa line, hinge and latches (2 front and one on each side). We have two med and one large. We find we get very close to 23kg/50lbs with the med.

The Lojels are lighter than my old Samsonite Oysters. The new Samsonite are lighter but it is at a higher price point than the Lojels.
Old Jan 25, 18, 8:38 pm

Samsonite Cruisair DLX? More like 60/40 though. Comes in three sizes.

Old Jan 29, 18, 6:48 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Not exactly 70/30 because it's more like 66/33 but a Topas Sport from Rimowa might fit your requirements:

Pretty expensive, it is a Rimowa after all, but convenient and sturdy (on top of being very easy to roll).

The only issue is that they don't make carry-on models, only 89L and 100L. So if you really want a set, this may not be a good option.
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:10 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
IMHO the best way to accomplish all of this (zipperless, spinner, non-clamshell) is with a rolltop entry like the Trunkster.

I wish more luggage companies would start experimenting with this idea. Clamshell luggage sucks, but there aren't very many options in the spinner category.

Old Jan 30, 18, 11:29 am

Hi, RevJim: Doesn't the roll top feature eat up space on the back where the cover needs to go? I can see where this would be a sturdy design, but I can also see where the tracks could fill up with dirt or become dented and difficult to operate.
Old Jan 30, 18, 7:35 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by Rusearch View Post
Hi, RevJim: Doesn't the roll top feature eat up space on the back where the cover needs to go? I can see where this would be a sturdy design, but I can also see where the tracks could fill up with dirt or become dented and difficult to operate.
Good questions, but I don't know because I don't own a Trunkster.

Dirt, dents and smooth operation are challenges that every luggage manufacturer deals with for every type of luggage, and I'm sure they can iron out those issues with some effort.
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Samsonite Cruisair DLX? More like 60/40 though. Comes in three sizes.
Samsonite but not Curv I got my hopes high for a second but the 26" is 12.3 lbs. Wish they had a Firelite / Cosmolite with latches.
Old Jan 31, 18, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RevJim View Post
IMHO the best way to accomplish all of this (zipperless, spinner, non-clamshell) is with a rolltop entry like the Trunkster.
Thanks, but no thanks. Seems there's a lot of disgruntled folks over at Kickstarter waiting on their suitcases. Doesn't seem to be a reputable company.
Old Jan 31, 18, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Enthilza View Post
Topas Sport from Rimowa . Pretty expensive, it is a Rimowa after all,
Sure, why not? There's no need to pay the mortgage next month
sahajesh and NPF like this.
Old Dec 10, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA
Sorry, only found this now. But yeah, one option is the Aleon 21in carry-on. I like mine, though they aren't cheap or light. But otherwise a pretty decent bag.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: