Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel cooker [available in UK]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Travel cooker [available in UK]

I've been looking through the forum and found a couple of old threads about travel cookers. Unfortunately, none of the mentioned ones are available in the UK (or Europe), and shipping from the US or Japan will not only incur high shipping costs but also customs duty and import charges. Looking for a simple, small, lightweight solution with which to boil tea water, and to heat up a tinned stew or soup, and maybe cook something during travels. The Yazawa travel cooker looks great, but all in all it would probably cost close to Ł80. Looking for more of a budget solution. Also not sure if 350w is sufficient to actually heat up anything.

As air travel is usually involved, everything requiring fuel is out of the question. No, a simple cottage or mobile home away from civilisation often doesn't have a kitchen or microwave. All travel kettles I can find will switch off once the temperature at the bottom is hot, which means it won't work for anything thicker than water. Plus they all have lots of nooks and crannies, edges, filter holders, etc. An immersion heater won't work for soups/stews either.

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, I didn't know what sort of cooker you wanted so thought I would look at the Yazawa to give myself a clue, and then stumbled across this Yazawa and looked no further: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yazawa-Trav.../dp/B006NT20YG
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

I also found out it's available via Amazon uk. It will still involve import duty, VAT and handling charges (total probably around Ł20) but it seems to be the smallest and most complete set I can find to be honest.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
That's pretty much the same as the Sanyo cooker quite a few of us have. There are not that many viable choices on this market. It might even be the same thing sold under a different label.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chx1975
That's pretty much the same as the Sanyo cooker quite a few of us have. There are not that many viable choices on this market. It might even be the same thing sold under a different label.
Yes, I read about the Sanyo cooker here, which gave me this idea to start with. The Yazawa doesn't have too good reviews on US Amazon, not sure how many of those are due to choosing the wrong voltage setting. Also I find no longterm use reviews. The Sanyo seems to last forever, this one build in China? No idea...
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Comparison at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24220892-post6.html
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:23 pm

I went to look at the Yazaya and up popped an alternative choice, a mini rice cooker for 19.95. It holds 3 cups liquid. Would that work.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tizzette
I went to look at the Yazaya and up popped an alternative choice, a mini rice cooker for 19.95. It holds 3 cups liquid. Would that work.
Good question. Mind sending me a link? I was thinking of a rice cooker instead as well. I'm considering the Yazawa because it's so small and light. Flying mostly with lowcost airlines at the moment, luggage size is something to consider.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by romana2
Good question. Mind sending me a link? I was thinking of a rice cooker instead as well. I'm considering the Yazawa because it's so small and light. Flying mostly with lowcost airlines at the moment, luggage size is something to consider.
Just go to Amazon UK and search rice cooker. I

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.