Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used large, inflatable Plane Pillows such as those available on Amazon?

Has anyone used large, inflatable Plane Pillows such as those available on Amazon?

Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Curious if anyone has purchased one of these pillows, of the variety which is essentially an inflatable 'frame' with an open interior. the traveler rests their head upon this inflatable frame, by leaning their torso onto it, and allows their arms to rest inside the open interior, and this seems to be aimed at eliminating the various back, neck and shoulder problems associated with economy seats. for me, these are always my biggest issues and i generally do not sleep in economy partly because of this, so it's a potential 'game changer' for me.

wondering if anyone has purchased one of these and had the opportunity to try it on a few long-haul flights, and whether they feel it accomplishes what it purports to, if it's useful, does it last, etc. a lot of the reviews on amazon appear to be fake and in any case i think it'd be good to get the opinion of some of the users here.

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:05 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

I assume that you are referring to a product such as this:
The Travel Tools forum is for discussion of apps, websites, software and services used to optimize the travel experience. Please follow this thread as it moves to the Travel Products forum where such items are discussed.

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:51 am

My wife has taken a beach ball, blown it up about 3/4 of the way and used that. Unconventional, but cheap.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No, what pride I have left would disintegrate entirely if I was to get something like that out.

Recently I have started to use a neck pillow, despite me relentlessly ridiculing the rest of my family for years, and I am now deciding what sauce to have with the humble pie I am eating!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I've not used that type of device and not seen anyone use it on any of my flights. I think if I was sat next to someone using it, I'd be a) annoyed b) claustrophobic depending on the seat I was in! I know some people would be shy about asking someone not to use it, but I wouldn't if it affected my journey comfort.

Just had a look at the amazon reviews and pictures. Interesting to read one person said it wasn't good if you were 6ft or more. Also the pics don't show what it's like if the seat in front of you is reclined.

Having done a fair few flights in Y between Europe and Australia I've found the big things that help me sleep is an airline that has foldable and adjustable seat headrests with wings. That way you don't need a neck pillow. I do use an inflatable foot pillow which makes a world of difference. I also get into a routine with a cotton eye mask and earplugs - occasional with my Bose noise cancelling headset over the top. A glass or two of red wine also seems to help me sleep!! I used to be side sleeper on the plane that would leave you in a contorted position. Now I find I can sleep upright on my back - but with the chair fully reclined.

I still take an inflatable neck pillow onboard as some of the cheap airlines have no headrest supports at all so there it comes in handy as invariably these are early morning flights where I want a few more hours shut eye.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:09 pm

I have an original Woollip (purchased via Kickstarter) but not actually used it. Saw it's now on the SQ KrisShop. It's in the office, with the intention when I put it there of using it for a desk nap.

Next trip (which is in QF PE) I'm trying out a Travelrest Ultimate Travel Pillow. I'm a side sleeper so I'm hoping it will feel more comfy than an ordinary neck one, which I find uncomfortable and feels like I'm being choked.

QF doesn't allow many inflight accessories, so I hope there isn't an issue with it.

Prohibited inflight travel accessories

To ensure the safety and comfort of all passengers, it is prohibited to use inflight travel accessories and devices which:
  • attach to aircraft seats;
  • are inserted between seats; or
  • otherwise block access to seat rows or aisles.
When in use, these devices have the potential to impede access to seats and aisles, damage aircraft seats and fixtures, and block access to emergency equipment. Examples of prohibited inflight accessories include, but are not limited to, inflatable cubes, ‘bed boxes’, and ‘leg hammocks’. This list is not exhaustive, and the decision to permit use of any other device rests with the cabin crew.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
I have an original Woollip (purchased via Kickstarter) but not actually used it. Saw it's now on the SQ KrisShop. It's in the office, with the intention when I put it there of using it for a desk nap.

Next trip (which is in QF PE) I'm trying out a Travelrest Ultimate Travel Pillow. I'm a side sleeper so I'm hoping it will feel more comfy than an ordinary neck one, which I find uncomfortable and feels like I'm being choked.

QF doesn't allow many inflight accessories, so I hope there isn't an issue with it.
I used this pillow for a couple of years and it's great. every 2 years (and I fly a lot) would puncture and got new one. Folds very small too.

I now LOVE the GO Ultimate Memory Pillow (the adjustable strap in front) which is amazing.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seaskybound
I used this pillow for a couple of years and it's great. every 2 years (and I fly a lot) would puncture and got new one. Folds very small too.

I now LOVE the GO Ultimate Memory Pillow (the adjustable strap in front) which is amazing.
I just got the Go too. I will try it in a week. Is the strap self adjusting? I haven't really looked at it in detail as yet but it looked self adjusting to me: GO Ultimate Memory Pillow
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:22 pm

For a neck pillow, that Go Ultimate one looks like a good one, better than others I've seen. But, alas, as I said I can't use neck pillows. Thanks for the info on the Travelrest one. I like that I can roll it up and shove it in a pocket if need be. I always like to carry a pack of Sugru - might come in handy in case of puncture.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I just got the Go too. I will try it in a week. Is the strap self adjusting? I haven't really looked at it in detail as yet but it looked self adjusting to me: GO Ultimate Memory Pillow
Self adjusting. As in once it is on you neck you can pull it open or closed till the feel is right. Frankly a U pillow that does not close at front is pretty useless. Cabeau have a good one, but the front string is pretty flimsy and hence actually not really good.

A trick. Instead of the carrier bag, just twist the Ultimate a few times and lock it with the strap. Takes the bulk out without the bag.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Self adjusting. As in once it is on you neck you can pull it open or closed till the feel is right. Frankly a U pillow that does not close at front is pretty useless. Cabeau have a good one, but the front string is pretty flimsy and hence actually not really good.

A trick. Instead of the carrier bag, just twist the Ultimate a few times and lock it with the strap. Takes the bulk out without the bag.
I was just coming back to say that mine seems self-adjusting so thanks for the confirmation. I had bought a cheapie from Walmart just to see if I could get used to one as I am not really keen on things around my neck. A friend had got one for Christmas and that felt good so I bought one. I did look at the Cabeau but did not like the look of the string either, then I read some reviews where they said that it had broken so it was a simple decision ultimately. I am looking forward to testing it.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I was just coming back to say that mine seems self-adjusting so thanks for the confirmation. I had bought a cheapie from Walmart just to see if I could get used to one as I am not really keen on things around my neck. A friend had got one for Christmas and that felt good so I bought one. I did look at the Cabeau but did not like the look of the string either, then I read some reviews where they said that it had broken so it was a simple decision ultimately. I am looking forward to testing it.
Works as a seat cushion as well...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF
If you’re flying coach such a device would be impeding aisle access in a dangerous way and if you’re flying premium the pillows they provide should be adequate.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
If you’re flying coach such a device would be impeding aisle access in a dangerous way and if you’re flying premium the pillows they provide should be adequate.
Do you think it'd be OK if I were on an aisle seat in the middle column, say on a 3-4-3 wide body? Do you think the policy would vary significantly from airline to airline? I was thinking of using one of these box frame things on a one-stop Qatar airways flight with flights of length 14h then 8h.

Originally Posted by dddc
I've not used that type of device and not seen anyone use it on any of my flights. I think if I was sat next to someone using it, I'd be a) annoyed b) claustrophobic depending on the seat I was in! I know some people would be shy about asking someone not to use it, but I wouldn't if it affected my journey comfort.

Just had a look at the amazon reviews and pictures. Interesting to read one person said it wasn't good if you were 6ft or more. Also the pics don't show what it's like if the seat in front of you is reclined.

Having done a fair few flights in Y between Europe and Australia I've found the big things that help me sleep is an airline that has foldable and adjustable seat headrests with wings. That way you don't need a neck pillow. I do use an inflatable foot pillow which makes a world of difference. I also get into a routine with a cotton eye mask and earplugs - occasional with my Bose noise cancelling headset over the top. A glass or two of red wine also seems to help me sleep!! I used to be side sleeper on the plane that would leave you in a contorted position. Now I find I can sleep upright on my back - but with the chair fully reclined.

I still take an inflatable neck pillow onboard as some of the cheap airlines have no headrest supports at all so there it comes in handy as invariably these are early morning flights where I want a few more hours shut eye.
indeed, I have never seen one in the wild either. i am actually quite small so the suitability would not be a concern. I wonder, I would think that if the user is quite small, perhaps the use of the device wouldn't affect an adjacent passenger any more than someone quite large or overweight sitting next to them. what do you think? maybe it depends where they are sitting
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:16 am

SeaSkybound, Please let us know how you like the travelrest pillow. Thinking about ordering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.