Wiki Posts
Search

Checked Bag Advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Checked Bag Advice

I'm going to come out and say that I've never purchased a piece of luggage meant to be checked before. Every piece that I've ever owned/used has been inherited.

I currently have two, a 27" no-name bag on its last legs. After a few trips on Delta (who I seem to be having bad luck with), the plastic inner frame is cracked, the metal frame was bashed inward (and with careful persuasion, I was able to bend it back outward). This is the one that I'm looking to replace. Here are my criteria, and I would like some advice on what kind of bag I should be looking for:

1. Price. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a bag. I would rather spend around $100, more or less, for a moderate quality bag. As much as I'd like a Rimowa or a Tumi, I don't have that kind of money to drop for a bag.

2. Soft sided, or hard sided. I've only ever owned soft sided bags, but hard sided bags intrigue me, and I'm interested in trying one, although if there are good recommendations for soft sided bags, I'm open to getting a soft sided one as well.

3. Brand. I'm willing to try a no-name brand if people can vouch for their durability, although I'm slightly partial to American Tourister, given my one and only good experience with that one bag.

4. Latches (on hard sided bags). I read that quality hard sided bags close with latches, instead of putting the load on the zippers. I'd prefer one that has zippers, but uses latches to bear the stress of keeping the bag shut.

5. Wheels. I would like to try a spinner, but a two-wheeler is fine with me too. I currently have an older American Tourister bag which has really nice free rolling metal wheels with plastic tires. I have not seen any spinners with metal wheels. Are metal wheels necessary? Or will spinners roll fine on plastic wheels when fully loaded at 40+ pounds?

6. Size. As a photographer, I would like a bag that can carry my tripod, which is about 29 inches when fully collapsed. With my current 27" bag, the tripod fits fine diagonally. I would like a bag that can at least do the same.

7. Decent handle. Self explanatory.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by diburning; Dec 9, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
I'm going to come out and say that I've never purchased a piece of luggage meant to be checked before. Every piece that I've ever owned/used has been inherited.

I currently have two, a 27" no-name bag on its last legs. After a few trips on Delta (who I seem to be having bad luck with), the plastic inner frame is cracked, the metal frame was bashed inward (and with careful persuasion, I was able to bend it back outward). This is the one that I'm looking to replace. Here are my criteria, and I would like some advice on what kind of bag I should be looking for:

1. Price. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a bag. I would rather spend around $100, more or less, for a moderate quality bag. As much as I'd like a Rimowa or a Tumi, I don't have that kind of money to drop for a bag.

2. Soft sided, or hard sided. I've only ever owned soft sided bags, but hard sided bags intrigue me, and I'm interested in trying one, although if there are good recommendations for soft sided bags, I'm open to getting a soft sided one as well.

3. Brand. I'm willing to try a no-name brand if people can vouch for their durability, although I'm slightly partial to American Tourister, given my one and only good experience with that one bag.

4. Latches (on hard sided bags). I read that quality hard sided bags close with latches, instead of putting the load on the zippers. I'd prefer one that has zippers, but uses latches to bear the stress of keeping the bag shut.

5. Wheels. I would like to try a spinner, but a two-wheeler is fine with me too. I currently have an older American Tourister bag which has really nice free rolling metal wheels with plastic tires. I have not seen any spinners with metal wheels. Are metal wheels necessary? Or will spinners roll fine on plastic wheels when fully loaded at 40+ pounds?

6. Size. As a photographer, I would like a bag that can carry my tripod, which is about 29 inches when fully collapsed. With my current 27" bag, the tripod fits fine diagonally. I would like a bag that can at least do the same.

7. Decent handle. Self explanatory.

Any recommendations?
I'd recommend you visit TJ Maxx or Marshall's (or Nordstrom Rack if you're near one) and get something from their luggage selection. Also check out Costco if you're a member.

You're not going to get anything bomb-proof in the $100 neighborhood.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking more along the lines of a lower end Samsonite or another American Tourister bag, but the major sticking point for me is the wheels.

I want to make sure that the spinner doesn't turn into a brick when the bag is fully loaded.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:30 am

Samsonite and other such makers do make specific models for outlets like TJ Maxx and Ross. I picked up a Samsonite soft sided bag there maybe 4 years ago. Its the best bag I have as far durability. Its got large handles on the top, side and bottom. Its been to Europe 4 times and Asia 10+ times. Its still in perfect shape.

It looks like this. (note the handle design)

https://shop.samsonite.com/promo-inc...587471041.html

I got it for <$100.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

I just found a deal on a 3pc set of American Tourister hardside polycarbonate spinners. Paid $168 for the set which is normally $499.99 and price tracking shows that it has never been offered for less than $449.99. I hope they're good!

If anyone is interested, it's the American tourister Arona hardsided spinner set. 20, 25, and 29 inches. I don't think I'd be allowed to post a link here, but there is one retailer offering 60% off on the set, and it does some fuzzy math where it ends up being $168 instead of $199

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.