Travel Dress Shirts - Mizzen & Main Alternatives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Dress Shirts - Mizzen & Main Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by txirish
Port Authority - I bought a couple more of these, and they are my go-to shirts for long-haul flights. Stretchy, comfortable, and wrinkle resistant. The darker colors like black and dark gray look a little better than the light blue, IMO. Easy to wash in the hotel, dry quickly. Not as formal as a starched cotton dress shirt (or the Wool & Prince), but will get you by in many, if not most, business situations. I'm tempted to round out my collection with a white one. A steal at $24. (Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TSNCTX6/ )
Since there were no reviews on Amazon, I'm hoping you can comment on whether their sizes run true or large or small.

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by unmesh
Since there were no reviews on Amazon, I'm hoping you can comment on whether their sizes run true or large or small.

Thanks.
IMO, they're a 'touch' on the larger size, and I haven't had them truly shrink yet.
I bought four - black, burgundy, dark blue and white. They are a deceptively heavy fabric, but they do indeed weather well. Very wrinkle resistant. I wouldn't want to match it up with a tie, but you could if you had to.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Brooks Brothers Knit Shirts

Does anyone else have experience with these?

I've been wearing them almost 6 months now and they are great. They travel well because don't really wrinkle and are still washable. The knit gives them a slight bit of stretch which makes them comfortable for long plane rides, minus the slept in look of regular dress shirts. Lastly, they look great with or without a tie. The only minus is the lack of a breast pocket.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
IMO, they're a 'touch' on the larger size, and I haven't had them truly shrink yet.
I bought four - black, burgundy, dark blue and white. They are a deceptively heavy fabric, but they do indeed weather well. Very wrinkle resistant. I wouldn't want to match it up with a tie, but you could if you had to.
Thanks, I will start out by ordering one and check it out.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Phil Mickelson looks a little ridiculous wearing a long-sleeve "performance" dress shirt at the TPC It's supposed to be 90 degrees this weekend.

Most people who go "from the board room to the course" have time to change into more appropriate golf attire.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by unmesh

Thanks.
I found the Port Authority shirts to be true to size, as much as any brand is these days. I usually wear an L, and their L worked fine. The cut was average, IMO - neither super-slim nor tent-like.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Has anyone here tried Wool & Prince at all, or gone the Merino route?
Old May 26, 2018, 8:15 am

I went for the Bluffworks Meridian shirt and it's good. However the sizing is not great if you are tall. They offer a tall version - one inch longer body and two inch longer sleeve... For me it would need to be the other way round.

The materials are great though and you can literally through it in a bag, travel and then wear looking good.

Not tried a merino shirt yet... soon
Old May 30, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Has anyone here tried Wool & Prince at all, or gone the Merino route?
My Wool & Prince shirt (white/ivory, wool/synthetic blend) might be the best-looking shirt I own. I use it for business meetings, etc., while traveling, but not for long-haul flights or hanging out in sweltering airports. Used in that relatively light way, it stays far crisper-looking than my nice cotton shirts. The cotton ones start out looking great, but after a few hours look tired and wrinkled. Let the W&P shirt hang for a bit, perhaps near the shower, and even the small wrinkles it collects are minimized. I used the shirt on multiple trips this way and it stayed fresh and crisp.

I just got the W&P shirt back from the dry cleaners and it looks like new. Of course, the dry cleaning aspect may be off-putting for some. (Expense-wise, it's probably no worse than a cotton shirt. Locally, dry cleaning a shirt is about 3x the price of having it laundered. But, if I get one wearing out of a cotton shirt and 3-5x from the W&P, it's a wash. Pun intended.)
Old May 30, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
My Wool & Prince shirt (white/ivory, wool/synthetic blend) might be the best-looking shirt I own. I use it for business meetings, etc., while traveling, but not for long-haul flights or hanging out in sweltering airports. Used in that relatively light way, it stays far crisper-looking than my nice cotton shirts. The cotton ones start out looking great, but after a few hours look tired and wrinkled. Let the W&P shirt hang for a bit, perhaps near the shower, and even the small wrinkles it collects are minimized. I used the shirt on multiple trips this way and it stayed fresh and crisp.

I just got the W&P shirt back from the dry cleaners and it looks like new. Of course, the dry cleaning aspect may be off-putting for some. (Expense-wise, it's probably no worse than a cotton shirt. Locally, dry cleaning a shirt is about 3x the price of having it laundered. But, if I get one wearing out of a cotton shirt and 3-5x from the W&P, it's a wash. Pun intended.)
I was looking at the measurements -- they seem super slim. Does it stretch out over time, or stay mostly true to size?
Old May 31, 2018, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Polytonic
I was looking at the measurements -- they seem super slim. Does it stretch out over time, or stay mostly true to size?
I haven't observed any stretching at all. There's a slight give to the fabric while wearing, more than cotton but nothing like a stretchy knit shirt. I'd say the W&P shirts are a slim cut but not super-slim. I've got an extra couple of inches on my waist right now and the fit is snug but not pulling or gapping. (The Mizzen & Main shirts have more stretch but are cut a tiny bit slimmer, IMO.)
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:13 am

Nordstrom Tech-Smart

The one clothing item (other than jeans) I travel with that I can't self-launder at night is the dress shirt. I love Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, and usually wear one on flights and pack a few for meetings. If I'm on a longer trip (I've done 20 days of biz travel in a roll-aboard), I'll have the hotel launder a shirt or two as needed. But, if you are changing hotels daily or have odd check-in/out schedules, that can get tricky.

So, Mizzen & Main shirts seemed like a solution. Synthetic, stretchy, comfortable, but dressy enough for many business situations. Fine with a blazer. I really like how the shirts look and feel. I imagined wearing one for a day (and/or night) of airports and planes, getting to the hotel, washing it out, putting it on a hangar, and having it ready to go in the morning.

One small problem - I only wear shirts with a chest pocket when I travel. It's super-convenient to stash a passport, boarding pass, driver's license, even a cell phone for a short time when juggling your way through immigration, security, boarding, etc. It's a habit I've become used to.

The M&M shirts I found, sadly, had no such pocket. Does anyone have a suggestion for another brand to check out? I do own a few merino wool shirts that are great for travel, but are too casual for business. And a lot of "travel" shirts look more like expedition gear than business wear.
I have a Mizzen & Main shirt and really like it. A great alternative that is a little more formal feeling (and cheaper) is the Nordstrom Tech-Smart line. They're a blend of performance fabrics and cotton. While you might need to lightly iron them when they come out of the suitcase, you could wear them for multiple uses. Also, I find Nordstrom's slim fit shirts to fit better and not at all baggy.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AS, AA, DL, LAN, SPG
For travel dress shirts, I'm a big fan of the Nordstrom SmartCare slim-fit shirts. They hold up really well and release wrinkles with a light steam.

I have quite a few Hugo Boss easy iron smart fit shirts that are also pretty awesome in terms of removing creases after unpacking.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No proper dress shirt should have a breast pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.