Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Briggs & Riley U121CX international too wide for domestic?

Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm considering a new higher end bag. I usually travel domestically but several times a year travel internationally, so would like to get one bag that works in both scenarios. I'm eyeing the Briggs & Riley U121CX wide body international. However, it is 15" wide. Some of the domestic carriers list 14" as the max width. It obviously will fit in the overhead of a domestic flight but I'd imagine an agent in a bad mood could say it doesn't fit properly in the bag sizer.

Has anyone ever had an issue with this?

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it.

Last edited by porkfried24; Oct 26, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
The trouble, as you note, is a cranky gate agent who demands you put it in the sizer. It will stick out on width but have extra room on length. 90% of the time this is fine, but I've had an issue a couple of times. Very random though. You potentially have the same issue internationally with the domestic version. Again, rare but it has happened. Personally I use the international since if forced to gate check I'd rather do it domestically.

Edit: the wide body doesn't always roll down the aisle well either.

Last edited by ctbarron; Oct 27, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:36 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Love the bag, domestically have flown on AC, WN, AS, UA, AA, DL and haven't had a problem almost all the time. But as the previous poster noted the issue is the GA. I've been called out with another bag by a nasty UA GA in SFO.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
My wife has the previous version of the U121 and has carried it on UA, AA, & AS. No problem so far but won't pass the sizer test and the width stands out more when next to my own bag (conventional domestic size). On it's own it's not as noticeable.

Next bag for me will probably be the U121CX.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. So if you could only have one bag, the U121 or U122, which would it be? Are you more likely to be forced to gate check the international size U121 on a domestic flight or the domestic size U122 on an international flight? The U122 is 22x14x9 which is actually still within the size guidelines for some international carriers. Perhaps that is the better bag if you're looking for one size fits all?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I went through this same dilemma a year ago and got the U122. I fly United most of the time, and that fits their sizer perfectly, with no room to spare. But, I've never seen a GA use the sizer. (On a flight a couple of days ago, my seatmate brought a full-size guitar case on board. It fit the overhead bin, but took up a lot of space.)

I've used the case on quite a few European and Asian airlines with no problem, both business and economy. But it does exceed the dimensions for some airlines. The B&R bags are also heavy - some European airlines have tight weight limits, and the bag itself will use up more than half of your allowance.

If the airlines ever get really stringent about sizing bags at the gate, the only option will be to choose one small enough to comply with all or most, or own multiple bags for different itineraries.

The first carrier rule for US travelers means that the rules of the originating carrier apply. That was another factor in my choosing one for United sizer dimensions.

I've been happy with the B&R bag overall despite its weight. The compression feature is somewhat useful, and it tends to bulge less in the middle when stuffed compared to many roll-aboards. Looks like new after 130K miles.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by porkfried24
Thanks for the feedback. So if you could only have one bag, the U121 or U122, which would it be? Are you more likely to be forced to gate check the international size U121 on a domestic flight or the domestic size U122 on an international flight? The U122 is 22x14x9 which is actually still within the size guidelines for some international carriers. Perhaps that is the better bag if you're looking for one size fits all?
One caution - even if no one checks the bag's size, the weight may be an issue. I had it taken at AMS, EDI and CDG because between the B&R and my laptop case I was over the European carriers' 12kg weight limit. (The bag weighs about 10 lbs empty, which is about 1/2 the total allowance.)
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jg70124
One caution - even if no one checks the bag's size, the weight may be an issue. I had it taken at AMS, EDI and CDG because between the B&R and my laptop case I was over the European carriers' 12kg weight limit. (The bag weighs about 10 lbs empty, which is about 1/2 the total allowance.)
Good point. Any bags of equal quality to B&R that are lighter?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I fly international almost exclusively. I have never checked my U122 except for RJ 200. I have flown a lot of foreign carriers. No problems with it.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:36 pm

Don't worry about weight. As long as the bag isn't bulging no one is going to weigh it.

You want the 22 inch domestic upright as that is the one that looks the most conventional and will draw no attention. As another poster mentioned, the widebody international version is too wide for many aircraft and you will wind up losing the ability to roll down the aisle.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by boltjames
Don't worry about weight. As long as the bag isn't bulging no one is going to weigh it.
Sorry, not my experience. Mine was not over-packed, and yet it was weighed 3 times last fall - in AMS, EDI and CDG. I ended up having to check it in all 3.

YMMV.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
B&R makes a couple that are lighter weight.

My family has Transcends. The only difference I notice in terms of durability is they scratch more easily (don't care) and the handles are flimsier. That said I've never I had an issue with the handles and the bags are a few years old.

They have other models as well that I've no experience with.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:26 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by boltjames

You want the 22 inch domestic upright as that is the one that looks the most conventional and will draw no attention. As another poster mentioned, the widebody international version is too wide for many aircraft and you will wind up losing the ability to roll down the aisle.
LOL, there are few threads from posters who struggle to put their bags up. I don't think I've seen a flight where I don't see the FA and passengers both struggle with bags. I know my fully loaded BR ain't light, but I can't complain it feels like it can take a beating and keep going, like a TIMEX
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Never had an issue with it. It fits great "wheels out".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.