Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Best rollabord-compatible backpack

Old Oct 13, 17, 11:43 am
Original Poster

I currently have a B&R rollaboard and a Tumi alpha laptop bag that I use when I'm traveling. The combo works well, and I really like having the two bags move as a unit when the Tumi is attached to the handle of the B&R.

However, recently I've had some back issues, and I really need to switch to a backpack for my laptop bag. When I have reached my destination, I need to not be carrying a bunch of weight on one shoulder as I move around the city. I DO NOT want to wear a backpack around the airport. I want something that can sit securely on top of the rollaboard just like my current Tumi while I'm in transit, but which can comfortably be worn as a backpack between the hotel and meetings. (I am not interested in rehashing the debate of whether a backpack is professional or not. I don't work in particularly formal environments, and I'm prioritizing my health over that anyway.)

I've seen a few potential options, but I worry about awkwardness. I'm especially concerned about situations where the top of the backpack is actually higher than the handle of the rollaboard. It seems like it's going to get annoying quickly, and might be extra top-heavy also. I have also seen some bags that convert from backback to brief, but they don't look like they'd be very comfortable in backpack mode. Finally, I want to be sure anything I buy is small enough to fit under the seat when necessary.

I'd really like to hear personal recommendations from people who use a bag this way, and are happy with it.
Old Oct 14, 17, 8:39 am

If you use a relateively small backpack the setup works very well - stable without toppling as long as backpacks have a slide on design. I ve been using this combo for many many years.
Old Oct 14, 17, 1:23 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, National EE, Hilton Diamond
How about Everki Versa
https://www.everki.com/products1/bac...-pro-15-detail

Or the slightly larger Atlas which comes with sternum straps.
gobluetwo likes this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, UA Premier Silver, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I've been very happy with the Briggs & Riley Large Clamshell backpack. When I'm traveling I just slide it over the top of the handles and roll the whole bag like I used to do with a laptop bag:

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/fun...kpack-kp375c-4

They have a bunch of other sizes too if that's too big; I'm a pack-rat and like to carry a lot in my backpack...
Old Oct 16, 17, 8:28 am

Programs: M&M SEN, IHG Plat, Herts PC, Marriott Silver
Seems like you're already a Tumi fan and they all have add-a-bag sleeves.
I have a Compact laptop brief and a Knox backpack and switch between both of them depending how much stuf I need to take.
Old Oct 16, 17, 11:56 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Putnik View Post
How about Everki Versa
https://www.everki.com/products1/bac...-pro-15-detail

Or the slightly larger Atlas which comes with sternum straps.
Looks like Putnik and I may have the same backpack (Everki Versa Premium). I know powerlifter does, also.

It's a good backpack and has served me very well the last 2.5 years. Showing a little wear, but still in great shape for a daily use bag. Fits well over luggage handles and hand carry straps can be used for hanging from the front of a carryon, if that's your thing.
Old Oct 16, 17, 12:12 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I actually have the larger Atlas just because I need to carry more things for my job.
Old Oct 17, 17, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I picked up the B&R Large Clamshell that jchan2 suggested. I like that it matches my existing luggage, and seems to be a reasonably good design (looks/functionality/comfort). The Everkis look interesting, but I couldn't find anyone who carries them locally, and I hate buying bags without being able to see them in person. If I end up not being happy with the B&R, I think I'll take a closer look at the Tumi line. I do already find myself missing some aspects of my Tumi brief, but I'm not sure how well those things translate into backpack form, so I'd need more investigation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: