Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Kirkland/Costco 22in SoftSide 2-wheel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:26 pm

Got it.

The bag is good.

I like the larger wheels and appreciate the thought that went into organizing it.

Frame construction is identical to the 4 wheel/spinner version that is currently in the warehouses. The bonus is that you get more space (I much prefer the 2 wheelers for their stability).

Here are the pros:
Lighter than the previous version (by just under 3 pounds)
Smooth rolling
Complies with carry-on size (the last one did not)
Good outside pocket for laptop
Well positioned tie down straps inside
Nice interior pockets

Cons:
Does not have the same rigidity as the last version...but this is required, I suppose, to save weight
Extra bag hook is internal and requires leaving the zipper open (i may just cut that off as I rarely use it). It is also permanently affixed and blocks easy access to the small interior RFID protected pocket...not that I would store my passport in a carry on.
Partially detachable suit carrier needs to be fully detachable

I like it and will give it a run for a few trips.

The reviews are out on the Costco site but seem to be distorted by traditional laments on the demise of the prior version.

Time will tell on the durability of this one and I will report back after a few trips.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I have to admit that my old one still looks pretty brand new minus the wheels showing their age. The cordura is pretty indestructible.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by AdmiralAdama
damn, is this too big for international carryon?
Costco reportedly reduced the size. It may not be small enough for Ryan Air, but it should be ok for Airbus's that ply the Asian and SE Asian markets I visit. I have one on order and will update when I have it in hand and compare it to my tried and true original Rick Steves wheelie which hasn't been a problem on the Airbus regional jets that have smaller overhead bins than the jumbo jets that fly me over the Pacific on the first leg. Actually my main problem is the 7kg weight limit which forced me to go soft-side instead, but now I'm flying on Korean which is 25 pounds limit so I'm ok to go back to a wheelie. My back thanks you, Korean Air!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:56 pm

Edited for brevity, my comments in BOLD in BRACKETS:
Originally Posted by jrothford

Frame construction is identical to the 4 wheel/spinner version that is currently in the warehouses [That one gem of information is worth the price of admission, it puts all the reviews on the soft-side spinner in perspective]. The bonus is that you get more space (I much prefer the 2 wheelers for their stability). [Costco answered one soft-side spinner complainer - not enough space - with exactly that same comment, that the upcoming 2-wheeler will have a larger interior volume.]

Here are the pros:
Lighter than the previous version (by just under 3 pounds) [Costco claims 8.8 pounds, my original "Smuggler" weighed 12 pounds but I though the immediately preceding 2 wheel variant cut that down by ... something? I guess not.]
Smooth rolling
Complies with carry-on size (the last one did not) [I have been getting stares and glares with the old 2 wheeler - the last variant - but never forced to check at ticket counter or gate. I did have to side-stow once on some single aisle regional jet in SE Asia. I'm glad they downsized, especially since my carry-on is just for emergency "stranded at terminal" stuff, I check the bulk of my clothes in baggage.]
Good outside pocket for laptop [No kidding? This would be great for TSA laptop removal. But I'm not sure lid-storage would make me feel safe, the lid takes a beating from other bags, from drops, etc.]
Well positioned tie down straps inside
Nice interior pockets

Cons:
Does not have the same rigidity as the last version...but this is required, I suppose, to save weight
Extra bag hook is internal and requires leaving the zipper open (i may just cut that off as I rarely use it). It is also permanently affixed and blocks easy access to the small interior RFID protected pocket...not that I would store my passport in a carry on. [I like trolley handle mount better, it doesn't tip the bag over, but all the flight crews I watch are front-mounting, tilting, and hauling humongous "flight bags".]
Partially detachable suit carrier needs to be fully detachable [I may perform a scissor-ectomy. Or maybe I'll start carrying a blue blazer and eat at better gin joints.]

I like it and will give it a run for a few trips.

The reviews are out on the Costco site but seem to be distorted by traditional laments on the demise of the prior version. [The people who ask for future improvements are pretty gentle about their requests. The spurned fans of the former design are vitriolic. It's hilarious. Glad you called it out.]

Time will tell on the durability of this one and I will report back after a few trips.
Hurry up! Take some trips and report back. You seem to be well-acquainted with the venerable Kirkland, the bag the throwers can't destroy.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:02 pm

I just picked up both of the 2-wheel and 4-wheel version. Here's some comparative photos.

Both have excellent build quality and feel really sturdy. The 2-wheel version has a tri-fold suit compartment and slightly more room but is almost a pound heavier. Besides that, they are practically identical. I will be keeping the 2-wheeler because of it has extra space and the compartment for my suit .

Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:36 pm

Can the suit compartment be zipped OUT and removed from the two wheeler?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Climb14er
Can the suit compartment be zipped OUT and removed from the two wheeler?
Yes the inner section can be removed. It is a zipper attaching the inner piece for the suit compartment.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: too many
Looks great, if only they offered a color other than black...
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by diggitydog
Looks great, if only they offered a color other than black...
Maybe somebody here who is a bit artistic with go to work on a case with fabric paint? I'd think it would work?

My family simply used different colors of electrician's tape on the handles.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Very nice. Now, if they would just come out with the larger sized bags as well. Spinners are useless when you have to go up stairs.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
The online reviews are not very complementary.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100368877.html
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:54 am

I picked one of these up to replace a beat-up American Tourister 22 inch rollaboard that I used a lot over the past five years. That bag is wearing out and I couldn't go another year with it, but it was perfect in the sense that it was the absolute largest you could take in a plane without being a jerk. I usually carry merchandise (boxes of prints, bags of buttons, bags of pins, acrylic inserts) instead of clothes and something that can move easily is a plus to me.

I haven't taken it on a trip yet but comparing it to my worn out old rollaboard I can see several differences.

1. Size. The two bags are actually about the same overall dimensions, but the pocket construction means the Kirkland looks slimmer (only one visible external pocket). This might be handly for drawing less attention from gate agents. I've used that AT bag previously on all jets except for CRJs (including E-170/190 series) and never had a problem with fitment.

2. The zippers are no contest much better in terms of action and the pulls seem more secure. I never liked the zippers much on my previous bag.

3. The RFID small pocket is on the "inside" which is a little less convenient. My previous bag had a small pocket that I used to toss phones/receipts/keys into when going through security and having to reach in the bag will be less convenient. On the other hand since you have to get through multiple zippers it makes it harder for pickpockets.

4. The non-detachable suiter seems to be the big sticking point for people. After removing the flaps/bag from it I now see it more as a big top pocket. They must have changed the interior components compared to reviews because I was able to remove all of the suiter's flaps to leave an empty area. It does compress quite well when nothing is loaded in it. If you don't plan on reselling your worn-out luggage you could always cut it out, I suppose. I can understand the grumpiness on this front.

5. My scale weighed it in at 8.6 pounds after removing any removable panels/stuff from the inside.

6. The wheels have a great differential action, likely because they're not connected on an axle. It's actually quite easy to rotate and turn the bag. The handles have rubberized components and the (rarely used) bottom handle is very low profile. They seem to be attached with hex-key attachments so I have to imagine they could be fixed easily given spare parts.

7. The outermost pocket (presumably for laptops) does not fit a 2011-2012 era 13 inch Macbook Pro. The laptop is about a quarter to half an inch too tall to zip, making it useless for me as a laptop pocket. The newer laptops aren't that much smaller and most Windows laptops are larger. Don't even try a 15 inch. Did Costco even test this? I'll have to toss my laptop into the inner front area. All they had to do was make the bottom seam of that outermost pocket an inch taller.

8. The bag's rigidity compared to my previous one comes at a cost, in that the internal volume is reduced ever so slightly despite similar exterior dimensions. All that framework and rounded corners isn't good for non-compressible or rigid contents. One of my 13x19 print boxes will not fit in it because of rounded corners and handle parts intruding on the interior space. It's only slightly too big. If the bag had an extra quarter of an inch top/bottom and left/right it would fit on the very top. This isn't a dealbreaker (I can put said print box in a checked bag that carries my other merch) but it is annoying and something you should be aware of. My other slightly smaller print boxes fit fine and it had no problem with a bunch of pin and button bags.

If all you're doing is carrying clothes and sundries, I can't see any real problems with this bag as it has a lot of room, it has good clothes-oriented features (like the compression/stabilizer buckle panels in the main compartment) and feels very sturdy. Is it as good as the previous kirkland one? That's a subjective call, but it does feel engineered to that $99 cost. Makes me wonder what they could do with a $150 bag. Compared to the hordes of cheap $70-ish rollaboards out there this one would be worth the extra money for casual travelers, let alone the road warriors that swear by the previous Kirkland bags. My needs aren't the same as others, but if you plan on putting box/rigid items in here, just be aware that the biggest you could fit internally is right below 13x19.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:41 am

Found a great deal!

I happened to stumble upon one of the older models of the 22" bag at a local thrift store for $9.99!! No joke here.
It is in nearly new condition, however missing the "add a bag" strap. I was impressed by the construction and it had the add a bag strap buckle which I often use (on my other bags) for backpack, laptop or purse.

I was estatic, as my previous workhorse died on the way home from NOLA last week. Zipper completely shredded. I will miss her.

@keffkafloyd - Can you provide contact info from the tags of your recent purchase so that I may contact Ricardo Beverly Hills to obtain one. There was an email address for customer service in an older post, however my message bounced.

Or if someone has an add a bag strap from a older bag that has died (handle failure, etc) and would be willing to give it up, I would love to purchase it from you.

Happy travels!!
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Big fan of the older clamshell version. It finally gave out and I exchanged it for a new 4 wheel spinner. Very disappointed, primarily in the dimensions. On the old one I could put 2 folded shirts side by side. The narrower width of this model means only one shirt per layer.

so I went out a bought a Briggs Riley Baseline after maybe 2 decades of Kirkland carryons.

Last edited by beachfan; Feb 25, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:32 pm

Could someone comment on what the various versions of this bag were/are over the years?

I bought my 2-wheel 22" Kirkland carry-on in late 2008 or early 2009. I'm on the road every week of the year and my bag's been by my side all the way. It's still in great shape, but I need to make sure I have options in mind in case something happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.