Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Help: Best International Carry-On ?

Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Hey Flyer Talk members. I'm new to the community but have been frequently going international for work. I have to admit i had a cheap costco bag for the past 2 years that finally is on its last life. I want to invest in a good , durable, and easy to maneuver international carry-on.

What are some recommendations. I don't really have a set budget, i just want something that will last and functionally work.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:28 am

Goruck GR1 or GR2 -- See: www.goruck.com

Tom Bihn Brain Bag or Aeronaut -- SEE: www.tombihn.com

Redoxx Air Boss or Mini Air Boss -- SEE: www.redoxx.com
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:10 pm

RIMOWA Limbo 22inch

If your not budget minded and can't go wrong with Rimowa Luggage..
Attached Images  
NeilA and nomadjohn like this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:55 pm

If weight matters, be sure to pick up one of the light carryons like Rimowa salsa air or similar.
Many carryons are quite heavy and some airlines impose strict weight limits for carryons.
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by John Isaac
Goruck GR1 or GR2 -- See: www.goruck.com

Tom Bihn Brain Bag or Aeronaut -- SEE: www.tombihn.com

Redoxx Air Boss or Mini Air Boss -- SEE: www.redoxx.com
I would add the Red Oxx Sky Train and the Safari Beanos PR5 duffel to your list, as well as the forthcoming Goruck GR3. A fully packed Tom Bihn Brain Bag bulges in the middle and makes one look like a turtle. Both the 30L and 45L Aeronaut are top flight bags.

To the OP: I never check bags and never use any bag that has a rigid structure, wheels or a telescoping handle, all of which reduce packable volume and add needless weight.
frankmu likes this.

Last edited by Skywalker505; Sep 4, 2017 at 6:16 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have both the Redoxx Miniboss and the Rimowa alu 2-wheeler. I use the Miniboss for 2-3 days trips and combine the two for week-long trips. The rimowa is the carry-on, the Miniboss is the personal item. Never got stopped anywhere.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have the aeronaut, and it is good if you do not need a suit. When I go international I carry a B&R 22" bag baseline series. I have traveled around the world with this bag and never had to check it except on RJ aircraft. It fits in all the overhead bins on the aircraft I travel on.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I use the Patagonia MLC 45L. I have put a suit in it and it will fit in the RJ overhead on the right side as long as you dont have it stuffed.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nomadjohn
Hey Flyer Talk members. I'm new to the community but have been frequently going international for work. I have to admit i had a cheap costco bag for the past 2 years that finally is on its last life. I want to invest in a good , durable, and easy to maneuver international carry-on.

What are some recommendations. I don't really have a set budget, i just want something that will last and functionally work.
I have tried many bags. for a four wheel spinner get the Briggs and Riley Widebody Intl spinner... I LOVE THE Bag.

Wheels spin Freely
Lifetime warranty
Expandable system that comes in so handy
Quality construcion
Looks nice

I had the Tumi and this is way better.. Tumi is crap quality. i have flown many flights within Europe and i have never had a problem having to check it in.

You will love the bag. i bought mine on Ebay and saved some money. Just make sure its the right one. THe wheels need to have spokes.
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:55 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by feysul
I have tried many bags. for a four wheel spinner get the Briggs and Riley Widebody Intl spinner... I LOVE THE Bag.

Wheels spin Freely
Lifetime warranty
Expandable system that comes in so handy
Quality construcion
Looks nice

I had the Tumi and this is way better.. Tumi is crap quality. i have flown many flights within Europe and i have never had a problem having to check it in.

You will love the bag. i bought mine on Ebay and saved some money. Just make sure its the right one. THe wheels need to have spokes.
Not the lightest bag but love the build and crunch down feature!
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:25 pm

X2 on the Red Oxx Sky Train

Originally Posted by Skywalker505
I would add the Red Oxx Sky Train and the Safari Beanos PR5 duffel to your list, as well as the forthcoming Goruck GR3. A fully packed Tom Bihn Brain Bag bulges in the middle and makes one look like a turtle. Both the 30L and 45L Aeronaut are top flight bags.

To the OP: I never check bags and never use any bag that has wheels or a telescoping handle, both of which reduce packable volume and add needless weight.
I'm going to second the Sky Train as I have done 10+ domestic/European trips using mine as either a 1 or 2 bag option. In fact I leave for a 9 day business trip next Sunday with Sky Train holding majority of clothing and a Rick Steve's backpack for the smaller clothing items with laptop/bose headphones/iPad/cables. In my case I wear button down shirts/nicer pants and don't need suit coats or ties. Packing cubes are my friends.

I am a big Red Oxx fan and chose buying a Sky Train due to its durability. However if you are budget conscious, check out www.ricksteves.com and his luggage line.
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bulbmogul
If your not budget minded and can't go wrong with Rimowa Luggage..
I was torn between Briggs and Riley and the Rimowa topas. Im in the US, where do you think is the best place to order Rimowa?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nomadjohn
I was torn between Briggs and Riley and the Rimowa topas. Im in the US, where do you think is the best place to order Rimowa?
I am just curious why people are impressed with the RImowa bag? I see them all the time in Europe and many people have them but i struggle with the loyal following/

Is it the Brand? I know its expensive and look nice but what about the bag do you like?

I see the Briggs to be hands down more value and a better bag. Maybe i am missing something.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by feysul
I am just curious why people are impressed with the RImowa bag? I see them all the time in Europe and many people have them but i struggle with the loyal following/

Is it the Brand? I know its expensive and look nice but what about the bag do you like?

I see the Briggs to be hands down more value and a better bag. Maybe i am missing something.

Its a "CULT" thing I guess..!
Attached Images    
nomadjohn and sanuliarem like this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by bulbmogul
Its a "CULT" thing I guess..!
Well your pic of the side-by-side Limbos looks like my partner and I. We just got them. Granite Brown and the Red. Can't wait to use them.

For carry ons, international size, I love the Salsa Air Ultralight. It's been great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.