STM Velo 2 alternative?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STM Velo 2 alternative?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus, FlyingBlue, ClubCarlson, World of Hyatt, SPG, IHG Rewards, etc etc
Red face STM Velo 2 alternative?

Dear all flyers,
If posted in the wrong forum category, please forgive me.

I have many messenger bags/briefcases, but so far the one that have ticked most boxes has been my STM Velo 2: http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/s...ag_978001.jpeg

Why? Well it is
1. easy to carry (strap + handle)
2. has slip-through for fixing to wheeled luggage
3. is sleak-enough looking to bring into a meeting
4. holds all my stuff(!) - ie. room for large headphones, pouch with chargers, liquids bag etc.
5. has a compartment for water bottle
6. has an umbrella compartment
etc. etc.

It is kind of the "Rambo knife" of briefcases.

Now, the STM Velo 2 is out of production, and I need your help to find something similar: A bag that can go into a meeting, be comfortable to carry, slip onto wheeled luggage, have seperate compartments for large items, and also one very large compartment for all other items.

Any good ideas out there?
Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:45 pm

I wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat. I bought the original STM Velo bag nearly 10 years ago. I love it and it still works even though it's not in top shape. I wanted a replacement for it, but I can't find anything like it anymore. I was able to find an STM Velo 2 in like-new condition on eBay so I snatched it up, but I'd love suggestions for current similar-style bags still.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by timrosenfeld
I wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat. I bought the original STM Velo bag nearly 10 years ago. I love it and it still works even though it's not in top shape. I wanted a replacement for it, but I can't find anything like it anymore. I was able to find an STM Velo 2 in like-new condition on eBay so I snatched it up, but I'd love suggestions for current similar-style bags still.
Coincidentally, I am also searching for a replacement of my STM Velo bought in 2011. It is in decent condition with the exception of the shoulder pad which is peeling a bit. I have tried 3-4 other bags but always end up going back to this one.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by 678flyer
Coincidentally, I am also searching for a replacement of my STM Velo bought in 2011. It is in decent condition with the exception of the shoulder pad which is peeling a bit. I have tried 3-4 other bags but always end up going back to this one.
I'm doing ok for now with the Velo 2 that I found on eBay, but it's a smaller size than my original and it's really not big enough for me. I think I'm going to try the Tenba DNA Messenger Bag next. It's intended to be used for camera gear, but it appears to have all of the features I liked about the Velo (aside from the side-loading laptop storage). Check it out and let me know what you think.
678flyer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
It’s my favourite messenger bag too

Mine came from ebay and since I’ve mainly worked from home for the last four years I’m hoping it lasts a good while yet (had to replace the zipper pulls though)
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by timrosenfeld
I'm doing ok for now with the Velo 2 that I found on eBay, but it's a smaller size than my original and it's really not big enough for me. I think I'm going to try the Tenba DNA Messenger Bag next. It's intended to be used for camera gear, but it appears to have all of the features I liked about the Velo (aside from the side-loading laptop storage). Check it out and let me know what you think.
Any idea what the inside volume is? Tenba's website doesn't have it and usually, I try to get something around the 20 litre mark. The two main things that will dissuade me from buying it - no outside access to the laptop as you already said, and the flimsy looking carrying handle. I have never understood the thinking behind having a thin one attached to the just one side of the bag - the STM Velo has a robust one on top for the occassions when I would prefer carrying it in hand than on the shoulder.
Old May 20, 2023, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus, FlyingBlue, ClubCarlson, World of Hyatt, SPG, IHG Rewards, etc etc
Still looking for that ultimate bag. What is your favourite?
Old May 21, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by businesstraveller_
Still looking for that ultimate bag. What is your favourite?
Welcome back OP! I was hoping you had better news to share on your search for a new brief.

Up until last year I would have pointed you towards Briggs and Riley because I loved their previous brief design and had the large expandable brief for nearly a decade until it needed slight repair. Sending it back to BR for repair was an odyssey and it took almost 8 months till they finally got a replacement bag to me, which was downgraded to a medium. To put it frankly, the new brief sucks in all the ways the old bag was excellent.

I think I'm going to have to design bag and have it custom made. Late last year I had some good luck working with a custom maker on a different project. When I'm ready, I'll give them a shout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.