Reload this Page >

Confortable, easy on traveling shoes

Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air France, Middle east companies

Dear all,

My Patagonia Maui Fold are dying after several years of good service, and I am searching to replace them.

I am not concerned at all with the style (as I am carrying business shoes and change when required). Basically, these shoes are for just for the trip: I am using my travel shoes on the way to the airport/train station, during the trip/flight till the hotel, and for short walk around or in the hotel.

Ideally, I would buy some new Maui Fold, but they are not sold anymore and so far, I havent found any shoes which seems as good (to me) as the Maui were.

So, I am asking for your help, do you know some shoes that could fit my requirements (comfortable, waterproof, with good isolation from the ground, and most important easy to put on and to remove).

If you have any advice, please share.

Thanks
Franck
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Franckjb
Dear all,

My Patagonia Maui Fold are dying after several years of good service, and I am searching to replace them.

I am not concerned at all with the style (as I am carrying business shoes and change when required). Basically, these shoes are for just for the trip: I am using my travel shoes on the way to the airport/train station, during the trip/flight till the hotel, and for short walk around or in the hotel.

Ideally, I would buy some new Maui Fold, but they are not sold anymore and so far, I haven’t found any shoes which seems as good (to me) as the Maui were.

So, I am asking for your help, do you know some shoes that could fit my requirements (comfortable, waterproof, with good isolation from the ground, and most important easy to put on and to remove).

If you have any advice, please share.

Thanks
Franck
Welcome to Flyertalk. I'm a huge fan of Mephisto and Ecco. I have worn Mephisto loafers for a while in a couple different styles. I wouldn't call them waterproof though. I also have a pair of Ecco Trac II low cut shoes that are very comfortable and completely waterproof (Gore-Tex liner) but they tie on versus loafers. They are quite easy to take on and off, however.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:23 am

I've been using Dr Scholl ballet flats for travelling, they come with removable and washable memory foam insoles. Comfortable enough for mild hiking even. I imagine this brand would have something similar for men.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If they fit your feet correctly, Dansko clogs, beloved by many restaurant workers, nurses, and others who spend most of their work day on their feet, are awesome. I've happily used my pair as travel and airport shoes for years. (I'm a she, and my clogs also are an oddball leopard print that actually gets compliments from airport security workers when I've had to take them off.)

I also love my Ecco loafers but they aren't waterproof, though some of the Eccos are.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
I always have great luck with Tods loafers. They are durable, well made and can easily be worn with a suit. They are also very comfortable and reasonably priced so it wont ruin your day if you are caught in inclement weather. When you take into consideration the comfort, price point, style and versatility they offer, they are difficult to beat.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Another vote for Ecco. Even their dress shoes are as comfortable as any sneaker type shoe.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions!
You gave me some new leads. While looking for the Dansko clogs, I found the Dansko loafer (in elk leather) which seems interesting.
Any opinion on them?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:31 pm

Another vote for Ecco shoes. If you adjust the lacing on them "just so" especially after wearing them in a bit you can slip them on/off very easily if you prefer a shoe with lacing. I've worn older versions of this: http://us.shop.ecco.com/fusion-ii-ti...gid=men-casual
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
The Maui ones you mention, from a quick google, look similar in materials etc to 'Allbirds' Merino shoes... https://www.allbirds.com/
I've not tried them, but I've seen plenty of positive comments.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by OceanAir
I always have great luck with Tods loafers. They are durable, well made and can easily be worn with a suit. They are also very comfortable and reasonably priced so it wont ruin your day if you are caught in inclement weather. When you take into consideration the comfort, price point, style and versatility they offer, they are difficult to beat.
+1

I think 'reasonably priced' would be subjective but I would buy mine again.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Originally Posted by DangerM55
The Maui ones you mention, from a quick google, look similar in materials etc to 'Allbirds' Merino shoes... https://www.allbirds.com/
I've not tried them, but I've seen plenty of positive comments.
I've got a pair on right now that I picked up last week. They're great. A very comfortable, lightweight shoe that is breathable. Can be double as daytime and casual evening shoe with jeans/chinos, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kent
I've got a pair on right now that I picked up last week. They're great. A very comfortable, lightweight shoe that is breathable. Can be double as daytime and casual evening shoe with jeans/chinos, etc.
Did you order them online or get them on the high street? I'm keen to see some in the flesh to see if they'd be my cup of tea!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:19 am
Original Poster

The Maui ones you mention, from a quick google, look similar in materials etc to 'Allbirds' Merino shoes... .
Actually I have an older version of the Maui, in leather and gore-tex (which make them great for large temperature difference travels and able to survive a tropical shower).

One of the feature I really like about the Maui, is the "folding heel" allowing to wear them like slippers or loafers.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:33 am

Have you tried OluKai Moloa? I just got a pair from REI (on sales for $99) and they are so comfortable. I took out the manufacturer insert and put in my custom orthotic. They look kind of like your Maui fold and the back of these are also foldable. They come in many colors. The one I got was light brown and I think they are discontinue at REI so they were on sales.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Did you order them online or get them on the high street? I'm keen to see some in the flesh to see if they'd be my cup of tea!
Online. They look just like the pics on the website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.