Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance for a US Citizen Visiting US?

Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So this is a little odd and I must admit I'm at a loss.

I will be moving overseas to Europe for a year. So I will cancel my US car and health insurance.

However, I will be coming back to the US for one week visits every now and then and renting a car. Thus, I will need emergency health insurance (my Europe policy doesn't cover me) and bodily injury car insurance (for the other person) as well.

Should I get travel insurance or is there a better product?

I have a lot of assets in the US so I don't want to have or get in an accident, get sued for BI damage.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:27 pm

We had a similar scenario of US expat friend visiting the US every summer from her home in the UK.

For the temporary medical coverages while traveling in the US, we found Generali Travel Insurance (used to be CSA) has the most extensive medical and emergency medical transport coverages--even on the Standard plan so cost of the premium is decent.

RE: rental car insurance, all plans cover rental car damage but not sure if the other driver/car is covered if you are @ fault. Their phone is on www.generalitravelinsurance.com to confirm with the experts.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cargo13
We had a similar scenario of US expat friend visiting the US every summer from her home in the UK.

For the temporary medical coverages while traveling in the US, we found Generali Travel Insurance (used to be CSA) has the most extensive medical and emergency medical transport coverages--even on the Standard plan so cost of the premium is decent.

RE: rental car insurance, all plans cover rental car damage but not sure if the other driver/car is covered if you are @ fault. Their phone is on www.generalitravelinsurance.com to confirm with the experts.
Thanks! Yes, the rental car aspect has me a bit miffed. What do foreigners do when they are in the US? If they have an accident and its their fault then can't the other drive (or their insurance company) sue them for BI payments?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Any car rental company will sell gen liability/ bodily injury

Some companies included in the rate (less, now) but most large companies sell it as an add-on.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
I shopped around for the same thing and found it was cheapest to buy ordinary travel insurance in my home (non-US) country. I bought an annual plan with $50k of medical coverage for a couple hundred bucks from a local subsidiary of AIG. It covers trips up to 60 days in the USA, IIRC.

For supplementary rental car insurance I used https://www.insuremyrentalcar.com which is very affordable but may or may not cover the specific items you need, so read the small print.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by RevJim
For supplementary rental car insurance I used https://www.insuremyrentalcar.com which is very affordable but may or may not cover the specific items you need, so read the small print.
The coverage sold through insuremyrentalcar (the policies are written by Chubb) insure only against damage to the rental vehicle the policy holder is driving. It's an alternative to CDW/LDW.

It is not a policy that covers your liability for bodily injury or property damage to others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.