Reload this Page >

Review: Briggs & Riley Baseline Expandable Domestic Carry On - U122CXSP-4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review: Briggs & Riley Baseline Expandable Domestic Carry On - U122CXSP-4

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:32 pm

Be careful. B&R is not diligent about providing accurate specifications for their otherwise excellent luggage. For example the volume dimensions on the actual label tags of their baseline domestic and international uprights and spinners are not even close to those listed on their website. I can’t find anyone who can tell me which, if any, are the correct ones. The dimensions listed on the label of my 10 year old 2 wheeler are off by 2.5 inches.

It is not clear to me why B&R is not able to provide accurate specifications for their products.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Jb20
Be careful. B&R is not diligent about providing accurate specifications for their otherwise excellent luggage. For example the volume dimensions on the actual label tags of their baseline domestic and international uprights and spinners are not even close to those listed on their website. I can’t find anyone who can tell me which, if any, are the correct ones. The dimensions listed on the label of my 10 year old 2 wheeler are off by 2.5 inches.

It is not clear to me why B&R is not able to provide accurate specifications for their products.
If you've had the luggage for 10+ years, is it possible that Briggs & Riley have CHANGED the model in the past decade? I assume it's not the same exact luggage that they show online as the ones you bought over 10 years ago (despite the same model name)?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
If you've had the luggage for 10+ years, is it possible that Briggs & Riley have CHANGED the model in the past decade? I assume it's not the same exact luggage that they show online as the ones you bought over 10 years ago (despite the same model name)?
Perhaps I wasn’t sufficiently clear. Two separate examples

1. Tag on 10 year old bag at time of purchase indicated that the bag was shorter than it actually was.

2. Tags on multiple models of current bags found in stores indicate a different volume than what the current website indicates for the same current models.

I hope that that clarified things. I was not comparing current tags to older models.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:12 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Duke787
My 10 year old Victorinox is finally starting to breakdown after close to 1M miles.

Been looking at new options and B&R is top of mind. I invested in the Transcend for my checked bag 5+ years ago and it has served me very well (including seamless replacement of one of the "legs" that got broken by an airline).

I do a fair bit of international travel so trying to figure out whether it really matters having the international version vs the domestic one (saw some reviews of the international one on the B&R website that suggested it was heavier than expected) -- since my goal is to never check a bag when traveling internationally (not a money issue since work pays but a time and avoiding lost bag issue)?

Otherwise I'm completely bought in on the B&R value prop and this seems like a perfect replacement for the Victorinox.
Weight is a downside of the BR, when I really pack it in, it does almost always exceed the weight limit, traveling Internationally from US and/or on a American carrier UA/DL/AA never had issue, nor domestic ever, trying to do BR or several Chinese carriers with far east departures had to check it as they insisted on weighing my carry-on before issuing a carry-on tag. Never tried to circumvent that, but hell annoying then having to wait for checked bag

Last edited by chipmaster; Sep 16, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Weight is a downside of the BR, when I really pack it in, it does almost always exceed the weight limit, traveling Internationally from US and/or on a American carrier UA/DL/AA never had issue, nor domestic ever, trying to do BR or several Chinese carriers with far east departures had to check it as they insisted on weighing my carry-on before issuing a carry-on tag. Never tried to circumvent that, but hell annoying then having to wait for checked bag
Hmm okay will have to think about this -- my AP travel has been limited and when it has been in play I can usually get there all the way on DL metal but the end of NRT - SIN is going to change that -- and my new role may have me in AP more often.

For Europe, I've had AF FAs give me a hard time with my Victorinox which is the same dimensions as the B&R domestic (but lighter) -- but ultimately the bin always closes so it's resolved itself -- so as long as the new bag fits those dimensions I should be okay with Europe (never had them weigh my bag but work travel keeps me on AF/KLM and the occasional BA only in Europe, no RyanAir or EasyJet).

Domestic glad to hear it's a non-issue, will either fit the normal way or I know how to play the game when you need it to go sideways (and the DL PM means boarding early so I can successfully play that game when I need to on the MD88/90/717)
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HHonors
I've been looking hard at the B & R International Carry On, spinner model but I cannot forgive them for placing the handles on the outside. What a crazy waste of space! If falling over is a problem then I have to get off that bus because I travel with a light/small backpack and my carry on. If I can't stack the backpack on the carry on what is the point? I have been using a BAD two wheeled carry on for well over 10 years and 100,000's of thousand miles and while I have gotten tired of a two wheeler and want a spinner it has to be a bag I can open and get things out of without showing an entire airport my wardrobe.

The search goes on...
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
I have the International Widebody 4 Wheel Spinner and love it. i travel 8 times per year to Europe 7 days at a time and i travel every week while in the States. this bag is a workhorse.

I love the 4 wheels, very smooth. With respect to Europe and some of the tiled sidewalks (Madrid) and cobblestones, while not perfect the bag does well. Notice that the rear wheels are a bigger diameter than the front. this is a slight improvement to assist in these 2 wheeled scenarios.

Top Heavy: the way i handled this is to put my iPad and my laptop in the front zippered pocket. i purchased a slim silicone sleeve for my laptop to protect it in that front pocket area.

I also take most of my heavy items in my bag and place them in the bottom of the bag to further move the center of gravity of the bag lower.

I also appreciate the comments on how to fold a Jacket in the previous comments. Thats my biggest struggle.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by nytexan
I've been looking hard at the B & R International Carry On, spinner model but I cannot forgive them for placing the handles on the outside. What a crazy waste of space! If falling over is a problem then I have to get off that bus because I travel with a light/small backpack and my carry on. If I can't stack the backpack on the carry on what is the point? I have been using a BAD two wheeled carry on for well over 10 years and 100,000's of thousand miles and while I have gotten tired of a two wheeler and want a spinner it has to be a bag I can open and get things out of without showing an entire airport my wardrobe.

The search goes on...
You know well the BR design and weakness, I think there isn't a week that goes by that it doesn't topple over often with my backpack and two laptops attached and I curse what if they only moved the wheels but a another few mm or so. There were times I expanded it and cursed if I only have a few more cm^2 and why oh why they didn't make it internal handle and free up that extra space that I'd have rolled my socks and underwear into.

But I'm going on four three years 750K miles and 300 segments and the BR is still chugging alone. The wheels have miles and miles over coblestones, sidewalks etc. and look worn but still run smooth. The fabric holds a few scuffs from above squeeze into overheads and a many check-ins, but really still looks like I'll retire before it dies.

Do let me know if you find that perfect bag, LOL
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
You know well the BR design and weakness, I think there isn't a week that goes by that it doesn't topple over often with my backpack and two laptops attached and I curse what if they only moved the wheels but a another few mm or so. There were times I expanded it and cursed if I only have a few more cm^2 and why oh why they didn't make it internal handle and free up that extra space that I'd have rolled my socks and underwear into.

But I'm going on four three years 750K miles and 300 segments and the BR is still chugging alone. The wheels have miles and miles over coblestones, sidewalks etc. and look worn but still run smooth. The fabric holds a few scuffs from above squeeze into overheads and a many check-ins, but really still looks like I'll retire before it dies.

Do let me know if you find that perfect bag, LOL
I recently purchased the B&R Baseline Carryon Spinner and I’ve taken it on 6 TATL and 6 Transcons fully packed (for me), weighing around 25 pounds and I haven’t had a single incidence of a topple. I do not pack anything in the front pockets and only light items in the suiter but am not sure if this matters. My 2019 model has smaller wheels in front and seems well balanced. My only issue with it so far is that it will roll away sometimes and also that it weighs 9 pounds empty which is 2 pounds more than my last bag, but I’m not complaining too loudly about that yet. Also, it fits into the AA sizer, although I can see a problem if it’s fully loaded being a bit fat in depth.
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by AA100k
I recently purchased the B&R Baseline Carryon Spinner and I’ve taken it on 6 TATL and 6 Transcons fully packed (for me), weighing around 25 pounds and I haven’t had a single incidence of a topple. I do not pack anything in the front pockets and only light items in the suiter but am not sure if this matters. My 2019 model has smaller wheels in front and seems well balanced. My only issue with it so far is that it will roll away sometimes and also that it weighs 9 pounds empty which is 2 pounds more than my last bag, but I’m not complaining too loudly about that yet. Also, it fits into the AA sizer, although I can see a problem if it’s fully loaded being a bit fat in depth.
On my most recent trip, all packed to check out and did one more quick look to make sure nothing left - - crash, another time, as usual my laptop and other thing survive, seriously an annoyance beyond words

pulled upright, the key is the wheels must be turned out if you have a backpack or other thing strapped and leave it unintended, sigh are other spinners so deficient ?
Im2bz2p345 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
...are other spinners so deficient ?
My salsa air doesn't tip. Not even with my 5kg 24 hour brief on top. Sorry to see this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.