Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review: Briggs & Riley Baseline Expandable Domestic Carry On - U122CXSP-4

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by datsun280z
Now that you have had the bad for a more than a year what are your thoughts on it? I am considering getting this bag but I have seen several reports of it tipping over and I think that would drive me crazy!
I have this same bag in a non wheeled version, had it for maybe 5 years. I travel pretty much every week. Fallen over maybe a dozen times. And, I actually like the very flat bottom. You can pack more efficiently without wrinkles. I had a TravelPro 6 before this (same outside dimensions) and this swallowed up a whole heck of a lot more. The pocket between the handles is perfect for a compact umbrella.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by navi_jen
I have this same bag in a non wheeled version, had it for maybe 5 years. I travel pretty much every week. Fallen over maybe a dozen times. And, I actually like the very flat bottom. You can pack more efficiently without wrinkles. I had a TravelPro 6 before this (same outside dimensions) and this swallowed up a whole heck of a lot more. The pocket between the handles is perfect for a compact umbrella.
Thanks! I think the issues I have been reading about are with the spinner version of the bag. I think the front wheels are a little smaller than rear wheels so that can have something to do with it. Of course how you pack. I do like the idea of packing flat! I wish I could test out the bag for a trip to make sure I like it.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:25 pm

Thanks! I think the issues I have been reading about are with the spinner version of the bag. I think the front wheels are a little smaller than rear wheels so that can have something to do with it. Of course how you pack. I do like the idea of packing flat! I wish I could test out the bag for a trip to make sure I like it.
Honestly, Datsun 280z (too funny, my Uncle had a lime green one, so cool) I would get a non spinner. For a bag this size, spinners aren't necessary and you actually lose space (and sometimes the spinners don't fit in overheads as nicely as a true roller). I definitely would have a spinner on a big heavy checked bag, but for a weekly 'runner' I would buy the Baseline, U122CX. I can get 4 pairs of work pants, 4 soft jackets, 4 soft shells, running shoes,socks, a running outfit, pjs, 4 pairs of sox, toiletry bag and a curling iron into the standard Baseline. It packs a crapton, belying its small footprint.

Of course, I go to get you the model number, and I notice that B&R started offering navy for almost all the Baseline pieces, not just a select. My wallet does not thank you for the inevitable spending that will shortly commence. If anyone wants a somewhat worn B&R Baseline olive set, PM me ;-)

Last edited by navi_jen; Mar 2, 2019 at 7:30 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by jtm893
nine pounds empty
IMHO, 9 Lbs is not a suitable weight for international travel....

Last edited by Love_Travel; Mar 2, 2019 at 9:10 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:25 pm

Honestly, Datsun 280z (too funny, my Uncle had a lime green one, so cool) I would get a non spinner. For a bag this size, spinners aren't necessary and you actually lose space (and sometimes the spinners don't fit in overheads as nicely as a true roller). I definitely would have a spinner on a big heavy checked bag, but for a weekly 'runner' I would buy the Baseline, U122CX. I can get 4 pairs of work pants, 4 soft jackets, 4 soft shells, running shoes,socks, a running outfit, pjs, 4 pairs of sox, toiletry bag and a curling iron into the standard Baseline. It packs a crapton, belying its small footprint.

Of course, I go to get you the model number, and I notice that B&R started offering navy for almost all the Baseline pieces, not just a select. My wallet does not thank you for the inevitable spending that will shortly commence. If anyone wants a somewhat worn B&R Baseline olive set, PM me ;-)
Lol! I want the Navy too! and why does that color cost more? At least you know you will love your new bags!

I feel like the spinner/non-spinner debate can be pretty polarizing. I had a 2 wheel bag and I can remember the exact moment I decided I hated it. Walking from the train to the hotel in Hong Kong. My husband had mercy on me and switched with me and I glided his bag with 4 wheels down the sidewalk. I have only used that bag once since then - that reminds me I should probably sell it. I know the wheels are not as durable on a spinner and there is less space but that is a tradeoff I am willing to make. I end up taking public transit often on my trips and therefore I am lugging my bags around quite a bit. Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:15 am

Lol! I want the Navy too! and why does that color cost more? At least you know you will love your new bags!

I feel like the spinner/non-spinner debate can be pretty polarizing. I had a 2 wheel bag and I can remember the exact moment I decided I hated it. Walking from the train to the hotel in Hong Kong. My husband had mercy on me and switched with me and I glided his bag with 4 wheels down the sidewalk. I have only used that bag once since then - that reminds me I should probably sell it. I know the wheels are not as durable on a spinner and there is less space but that is a tradeoff I am willing to make. I end up taking public transit often on my trips and therefore I am lugging my bags around quite a bit. Thanks for your help!
Datsun, as long as you are aware of the tradeoffs, that is all that matters

The blue is more expensive, I think, as it is a new color and potentially a limited run. I find it best to wait until either the mid July fake Christmas, around the holidays or wait until someone on FT posts a sale (pretty rare, but they do happen). I think I got my standard roller for around $400 and my laptop bag (the cabin roller) in Olive around $200. If you like the blue, do it. I didn't want consultant black, and I thought Olive might be a nice compromise (blue wasn't available yet and I hated giving up space to moving down to the Transcend line). After several years of hard travel, my bags are really dirty and I cannot keep the bags looking decent. Hence the recommendation (and my eventual wallet draining event) to go with the blue, even tho it may cost more.

Last edited by navi_jen; Mar 3, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 8:05 pm

Hi, new to this forum here.

I have the international version of this spinner from B&R (U121CXSPW), and I have to ask. Did any of you found a way to deal with the tip-forward problem? I really like this spinner; it is well built, it's beautiful. But it topple-down on my 4 times at the airport today, once even without almost not touching it. It seems that point the well backward does help reducing the occurrence of this (by moving the spinner backward a 2-3 inches).... but for a 660$ CAD + tx, it is quite expensive.

It does seems that the front/top wheels are smaller than the back one..... which could be part of the problem.

I opened a case with B&R to have their input.... but thought I would ask here.
Thanks
Eric
Old May 14, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Have you tried packing heavier items on the bottom? I hear that helps....
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:29 am

Figured I would try my thread post in here:

Hi all! First time posting here so forgive me if this thread is redundant. I am looking for thoughts on the B&R Baseline Carry On. I had been somewhat set on the Away Bigger Carry On with Front Pocket, however, I like the idea of bringing in a B&R bag to my local distributor in Portland, OR as opposed to having to ship the Away back in case of any damage. I get the feeling that Away put a significant amount of money into their marketing and all the overly positive reviews are more of a result of that than the actual quality of the bag.

That being said, does anybody know of any promotional deals for the B&R Baseline or is anybody looking to possibly part with a black Baseline Carry On or Medium Checked ( In really good condition) at all? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I have the non-spinner version of the Baseline International Carry-On; I just pack heavy items like shoes and boots near the wheels and it hasn't tipped over at all.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Does anyone have issue fitting this in a sizer? I have the same bag but never tried it. Am a bit worry when I travel overseas with it. I usually end up bringing TravelPro crew carry-on instead.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
When i look at the B&R bags i think "boring functionality". I shy away from them for the same reason i shy away from buying a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Sure they are functional but what do they say about you as a traveler? To me they seem to say "I like to buy bags from a company with the least attractive/least fashionable (almost "wal-mart-ish looking"), least innovative, and least imaginative designs they could think of...but with one or two nifty features and a fantastic warranty" (Same as that Honda Accord).

In a world where a simple compression system and built in suiter are awe inspiring to users (those are really just basic features that any good company offers so nothing worth mentioning really in my opinion)..., i would argue the user demographic is about 25 years behind the times. You want to see "nifty features".... check out this video of what a peak design travel bag can do:

I try to keep an open mind though so maybe one day i will try one (ill add it to my to do list to hit up a shop at the airport and try to handle some first hand as it always irritates me when people criticize products they don't actually own so there is that). I just can't see picking a B&R over a Tumi based on materials, aesthetics and design however. I guess that is what makes the world such a great place, variety.

As far as complaining about a bag being too heavy to roll. You guys are carrying too much.

You SHOULD be able to travel for 3 months with nothing but what fits in a 40L back pack if you are doing it right (then you don't have to worry about wheels).

If you don't want to check a bag (and i don't blame you), you will have to avoid all commuter planes when you travel (which i find impossible so you still end up valet checking your bags very frequently). At that point it is almost better to check it all the way through than to deal with the wait time between connections for a valet.....And if you really want durability for a frequently checked bag forget conventional luggage all together. You'll have to forget fashion as well. Get a Strongbag, Luggage work or Pelican and be done with it. (It might be nice knowing your checked bag is 100% water and crush proof after all). I would argue at the very least, step out of your comfort zone and give a company a chance that is at least TRYING to be innovative like genius bags, G ro, Nomatic, Incase, Pacsafe, or even a lowepro.

Just saying...

Last edited by Allentown; Jun 29, 2019 at 10:18 am
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I didn't have an issue with mine on EasyJet, WizzAir, Eurowings. Just garbage Air Canada.

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Does anyone have issue fitting this in a sizer? I have the same bag but never tried it. Am a bit worry when I travel overseas with it. I usually end up bringing TravelPro crew carry-on instead.
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:13 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
That is probably the two faults with this bag, wasted space and way the wheels are set that the bag is prone to falling over with a backpack or other bag slid over the handles. I've looked closely at the Tumis and my very old Hartmann and dissagree, if you design carefully the internal with enough space, that extra few cm^3 of volume is very valuable space for rolled socks/underwear etc. If you need flat there is workaround, or you put that stuff in the top suit pouch, but losing valuable space in a carryon is simply bad design tradeoff IMHO. Still the BR is so-far at least the best bag, or maybe because I already spend the $$$ I tolerate that terrible waste.

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
So many bags bust the sizer, I find what gets bags not allowed is often weight ( foreign carriers ) and our outta overhead. Only rarely do I see a overzealous GA challenge people. Think about it, if they challenge, one, you can ask them to check everyone else, that will be a lot of delay and chaos, LOL.
flipstah likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My 10 year old Victorinox is finally starting to breakdown after close to 1M miles.

Been looking at new options and B&R is top of mind. I invested in the Transcend for my checked bag 5+ years ago and it has served me very well (including seamless replacement of one of the "legs" that got broken by an airline).

I do a fair bit of international travel so trying to figure out whether it really matters having the international version vs the domestic one (saw some reviews of the international one on the B&R website that suggested it was heavier than expected) -- since my goal is to never check a bag when traveling internationally (not a money issue since work pays but a time and avoiding lost bag issue)?

Otherwise I'm completely bought in on the B&R value prop and this seems like a perfect replacement for the Victorinox.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.