FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Collapsible Suitcase to Take in Carry-on for Return Trip (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1854182-collapsible-suitcase-take-carry-return-trip.html)

BigFlyer Jul 16, 2017 1:06 am

Collapsible Suitcase to Take in Carry-on for Return Trip

I usually fly only with carry-on luggage. However, on my next trip to Europe there are a bunch of things (mainly food) that I want to bring home (all legal food.)

I was thinking of stuffing a nylon duffel-style bag in my carry-on to then expand and sue for the way back - but I don't think that would be solid enough to be checked luggage on the way back.

Any suggestions as to a collapsible bag that has sufficient structural integrity to be checked?

TPACjv Jul 16, 2017 2:24 am

When I read your post, it made me think doing the opposite is better. Is it possible for you to carry on a suitcase you don't mind checking and stick a foldable duffel in it. Then on the way back, you can check the suitcase and carry on the duffel.

ani90 Jul 16, 2017 4:04 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer (Post 28565764)
I usually fly only with carry-on luggage. However, on my next trip to Europe there are a bunch of things (mainly food) that I want to bring home (all legal food.)

Any suggestions as to a collapsible bag that has sufficient structural integrity to be checked?

I do the same going to Europe and use Samsonite tote a ton. Will fold into a medium or small ziplock back and when coming back holds 32 kg of goodies. It has no intrinsic structure so best to line interior with cardboard ( easy to get boxes from any supermarket) to protect goods from airport conveyor belt and handlers.

http://shop.samsonite.com/promo-incl..._source=google

kochleffel Jul 16, 2017 7:19 am

I have sometimes carried an unstructured nylon duffel for this purpose, and checked it on the return, but with only laundry in it.

The Red Oxx Extra Small Aviator Bag folds flat. The manufacturer suggests packing it in your regular carry-on bag and then using it as personal item for the return flight.

chx1975 Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am

This forum is just ridiculous -- you all always end up recommending the Red Oxx XS Aviator :P Perhaps because it's so awesome :D

Skywalker505 Jul 16, 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by kochleffel (Post 28566361)
I have sometimes carried an unstructured nylon duffel for this purpose, and checked it on the return, but with only laundry in it.

The Red Oxx Extra Small Aviator Bag folds flat. The manufacturer suggests packing it in your regular carry-on bag and then using it as personal item for the return flight.

+1

Cat Man Do Jul 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Perhaps take a page from the how-to-fly-with-a-Brompton book, and pack an IKEA Dimpa bag.

BigFlyer Jul 16, 2017 2:43 pm

That Dimpa bag looks pretty flimsy - which for $3.99 I expect it is.

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do (Post 28567302)
Perhaps take a page from the how-to-fly-with-a-Brompton book, and pack an IKEA Dimpa bag.

mikew99 Jul 16, 2017 8:44 pm

I don't often bring back more than I leave with, but I often carry gifts from the USA to give to friends in other countries. (BTW, I learned a long time ago to check the bag containing the gifts, not the bag containing my own stuff!) For this purpose, I use the ProSpirit Small 20" Duffel Athletic Gear Bag . It's sturdy enough to check, yet still folds up small enough to fit in my carry-on bag. I've been using it for the better part of a decade, and it continues to hold up very well.

It shows unavailable from Amazon, but I believe that I actually purchased it from Target. The closest match that I see now at Target is the $20 J World Buena Folding Duffel Bag. Similar size, same concept, but I don't know how it would hold up over time.

ETA: When I pack gifts into my duffel, I usually put them in old Amazon shipping boxes and then put these inside the duffel bag. That gives the duffel bag some shape and also protects the items inside. If you're using it to carry items home, you might consider asking retail stores for small, spare cardboard boxes that they are going to recycle.

turnleftbrighteyes Jul 17, 2017 11:16 am

Originally Posted by kochleffel (Post 28566361)

Another +1, although my experience has been it doesn't fold all that flat and takes up a fair amount of room empty, but then again, you don't have to worry about it letting you down.

Tom Bihn also has a newish line of duffel bags in various sizes, too, and these apparently pack down well.

DutchessPDX Aug 10, 2017 3:57 pm

I have a collapsible nylon duffel bag I fly with. When I travel home I throw my dirty clothes, some shoes, etc in the duffel and the new stuff I'm bringing home goes in my suitcase. Has always worked for me.

JimGD3 Aug 11, 2017 11:12 am

Sweetwater in New England

I travel with a Swiss Gear 24" soft duffel. It probably weighs 6 ounces and goes in my roller.

Then I put my laundry in the tiny duffel at the end of my trip, carry that on, fill my roller with beer I can't get at home, and check that.

Bootlegging on Delta....

TGarza Aug 11, 2017 5:53 pm

I purchased a bag which folds and packs but is semi rigid when opened at Dick's Sporting Goods. The bag is not available online. The bag is made from a heavier canvas than other bags posted in this thread.

N1120A Aug 12, 2017 7:03 am

+80000000 on the Red Oxx Aviator. Just used one on a trip to Europe. It folds pretty small.

Originally Posted by TPACjv (Post 28565880)
When I read your post, it made me think doing the opposite is better. Is it possible for you to carry on a suitcase you don't mind checking and stick a foldable duffel in it. Then on the way back, you can check the suitcase and carry on the duffel.

I've done exactly this with a Red Oxx Aviator.

PackingIt Aug 12, 2017 8:03 am

Used this approach on a recent trip to Paris. Brought the Matador Transit30 collapsible duffle. LOVE this thing. Absolutely tiny when not in use. On the return, the suitcase was filled with champagne bottles and the Matador contained my clothing which I took as carry-on luggage.