Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Collapsible Suitcase to Take in Carry-on for Return Trip

Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:06 am
Original Poster

I usually fly only with carry-on luggage. However, on my next trip to Europe there are a bunch of things (mainly food) that I want to bring home (all legal food.)

I was thinking of stuffing a nylon duffel-style bag in my carry-on to then expand and sue for the way back - but I don't think that would be solid enough to be checked luggage on the way back.

Any suggestions as to a collapsible bag that has sufficient structural integrity to be checked?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
When I read your post, it made me think doing the opposite is better. Is it possible for you to carry on a suitcase you don't mind checking and stick a foldable duffel in it. Then on the way back, you can check the suitcase and carry on the duffel.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I usually fly only with carry-on luggage. However, on my next trip to Europe there are a bunch of things (mainly food) that I want to bring home (all legal food.)

Any suggestions as to a collapsible bag that has sufficient structural integrity to be checked?
I do the same going to Europe and use Samsonite tote a ton. Will fold into a medium or small ziplock back and when coming back holds 32 kg of goodies. It has no intrinsic structure so best to line interior with cardboard ( easy to get boxes from any supermarket) to protect goods from airport conveyor belt and handlers.

http://shop.samsonite.com/promo-incl..._source=google
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I have sometimes carried an unstructured nylon duffel for this purpose, and checked it on the return, but with only laundry in it.

The Red Oxx Extra Small Aviator Bag folds flat. The manufacturer suggests packing it in your regular carry-on bag and then using it as personal item for the return flight.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
This forum is just ridiculous -- you all always end up recommending the Red Oxx XS Aviator :P Perhaps because it's so awesome
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by kochleffel
I have sometimes carried an unstructured nylon duffel for this purpose, and checked it on the return, but with only laundry in it.

The Red Oxx Extra Small Aviator Bag folds flat. The manufacturer suggests packing it in your regular carry-on bag and then using it as personal item for the return flight.
+1
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Perhaps take a page from the how-to-fly-with-a-Brompton book, and pack an IKEA Dimpa bag.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

That Dimpa bag looks pretty flimsy - which for $3.99 I expect it is.

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Perhaps take a page from the how-to-fly-with-a-Brompton book, and pack an IKEA Dimpa bag.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I don't often bring back more than I leave with, but I often carry gifts from the USA to give to friends in other countries. (BTW, I learned a long time ago to check the bag containing the gifts, not the bag containing my own stuff!) For this purpose, I use the ProSpirit Small 20" Duffel Athletic Gear Bag . It's sturdy enough to check, yet still folds up small enough to fit in my carry-on bag. I've been using it for the better part of a decade, and it continues to hold up very well.

It shows unavailable from Amazon, but I believe that I actually purchased it from Target. The closest match that I see now at Target is the $20 J World Buena Folding Duffel Bag. Similar size, same concept, but I don't know how it would hold up over time.

ETA: When I pack gifts into my duffel, I usually put them in old Amazon shipping boxes and then put these inside the duffel bag. That gives the duffel bag some shape and also protects the items inside. If you're using it to carry items home, you might consider asking retail stores for small, spare cardboard boxes that they are going to recycle.

Last edited by mikew99; Jul 16, 2017 at 8:53 pm Reason: Add extra tip
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by kochleffel

Another +1, although my experience has been it doesn't fold all that flat and takes up a fair amount of room empty, but then again, you don't have to worry about it letting you down.

Tom Bihn also has a newish line of duffel bags in various sizes, too, and these apparently pack down well.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:57 pm

I have a collapsible nylon duffel bag I fly with. When I travel home I throw my dirty clothes, some shoes, etc in the duffel and the new stuff I'm bringing home goes in my suitcase. Has always worked for me.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:12 am

Sweetwater in New England

I travel with a Swiss Gear 24" soft duffel. It probably weighs 6 ounces and goes in my roller.

Then I put my laundry in the tiny duffel at the end of my trip, carry that on, fill my roller with beer I can't get at home, and check that.

Bootlegging on Delta....
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:53 pm

I purchased a bag which folds and packs but is semi rigid when opened at Dick's Sporting Goods. The bag is not available online. The bag is made from a heavier canvas than other bags posted in this thread.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
+80000000 on the Red Oxx Aviator. Just used one on a trip to Europe. It folds pretty small.

Originally Posted by TPACjv
When I read your post, it made me think doing the opposite is better. Is it possible for you to carry on a suitcase you don't mind checking and stick a foldable duffel in it. Then on the way back, you can check the suitcase and carry on the duffel.
I've done exactly this with a Red Oxx Aviator.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:03 am

Used this approach on a recent trip to Paris. Brought the Matador Transit30 collapsible duffle. LOVE this thing. Absolutely tiny when not in use. On the return, the suitcase was filled with champagne bottles and the Matador contained my clothing which I took as carry-on luggage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.