Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Collapsible Suitcase to Take in Carry-on for Return Trip

Collapsible Suitcase to Take in Carry-on for Return Trip

Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
We use a Red Oxx Large Aviator (no longer available on Red Oxx web site, perhaps still available to order by phone) as our souvenir bag. It is huge and very tough. It travels folded up in our checked bag on the way out. Depending on where I am going, I will either locally source, or fold-up and bring a large cardboard box (like the big vegetables ones at Costco). We have checked the bag a few times loaded to the 50 pounds limit imposed by airlines, and it has held up great. The bag is really difficult to carry fully loaded/weighed down though - not a fun time getting to the check-in counter at the airport.

The 2-inch webbing that wraps around the bag is what gives it such carrying capability, but also what limits how small the bag can fold. The webbing is much stiffer and thicker than the Cordura 1000. I carry the Aviator on the outbound in roughly the same shape that Red Oxx ships it in (folded in thirds, handle on top).
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by AnalogMan
We use a Red Oxx Large Aviator (no longer available on Red Oxx web site, perhaps still available to order by phone) as our souvenir bag. It is huge and very tough. It travels folded up in our checked bag on the way out. Depending on where I am going, I will either locally source, or fold-up and bring a large cardboard box (like the big vegetables ones at Costco). We have checked the bag a few times loaded to the 50 pounds limit imposed by airlines, and it has held up great. The bag is really difficult to carry fully loaded/weighed down though - not a fun time getting to the check-in counter at the airport.

The 2-inch webbing that wraps around the bag is what gives it such carrying capability, but also what limits how small the bag can fold. The webbing is much stiffer and thicker than the Cordura 1000. I carry the Aviator on the outbound in roughly the same shape that Red Oxx ships it in (folded in thirds, handle on top).
Next month Red Oxx will be introducing redesigned Avaitor bags, with different dimensions (more linear), although I am not sure if the large size will be returning. The bags will also feature shoulder strap D-rings.

Goruck also has excellent Kit Bags, similar to the Red Oxx Aviator, in large sizes: 32L, 57L, and 84L https://www.goruck.com/kit-bag/
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:55 am

I travel long haul once a month and have used this bag on every trip. I keep it in my carry on, and it is usually filled and checked in for the trip home. Can't recommend it enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Bago-Travel-D...go+travel+bags
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Do you have the 23" or 27" model?

Originally Posted by efc4
I travel long haul once a month and have used this bag on every trip. I keep it in my carry on, and it is usually filled and checked in for the trip home. Can't recommend it enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Bago-Travel-D...go+travel+bags
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: MP Silver
When I travel with my family we usually fold a North Face Base Camp duffel bag into our suitcase because we inevitably have more stuff coming home.

It's a great bag and comes in multiple sizes. Also can be used as a sling bag or as a backpack if needed. Super durable and, surprisingly, not very common on conveyor belts so very easy to spot once it comes out of the hold.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta
Google search came up with Biaggi folding luggage. Specifically https://biaggi.com/zipsak-22-carry-on-spinner/
It appears it folds down to a packing cube sized package. Anyone have experience with it?

(Sorry, the URL linking thing isn't working for me.)
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by efc4

https://www.amazon.com/Bago-Travel-Duffel-Bag-Women/dp/B072BFGTXP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503658354&sr=8-3&keywords=bogo+travel+bags
Yes, i'll second the recommendation for the Bago. We have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Bago-Travel-Duffle-Bag-Women/dp/B00FUWSTLA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1522537594&sr=1-1-spons&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=bago+Travel+Duffle+Bag+For+Women+%26+Men&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Bago-Travel-Duffle-Bag-Women/dp/B00FUWSTLA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1522537594&sr=1-1-spons&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=bago+Travel+Duffle+Bag+For+Women+%26+Men&psc=1

The fabric is a good balance, It is compact enough that it is easy to pack (and you don't mind if you end up not using it), and it is tough enough to survive being checked. We take it with us on nearly every trip, even though we have only had to use it 3 times on the return. If we end up finding things on our trip to take home, we put our dirty clothes in this, and put whatever else we have/bought in a hardsided bag. It is not fancy, but has worked perfectly. Used it coming back to the US from Australia, Scotland, and France, and it has worked great. I just remove the extra shoulder strap when checking it.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I stumbled on a collapsible bag from Muji in Tokyo recently.

Paraglider Foldable Boston Bag Black

Packs down pretty small and for the price I can't complain.

I also have one of Sea-To-Summit's ultra-packable tote bags. Packs down to about the size of shot glass but expands to the size of a grocery bag. Serves as an excellent travel companion for toting around dirty clothes, a picnic lunch, souvenirs on the flight home, clothes for a day at the beach, etc.

I think it's this one: Ultra-Sil Sling Bag | Sea to Summit
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by baslimik
When I travel with my family we usually fold a North Face Base Camp duffel bag into our suitcase because we inevitably have more stuff coming home.

It's a great bag and comes in multiple sizes. Also can be used as a sling bag or as a backpack if needed. Super durable and, surprisingly, not very common on conveyor belts so very easy to spot once it comes out of the hold.
With carry-on luggage only to places where I may acquire items, I carry that or some other very large foldable duffel bag (High Sierra, for example). It saves me from adding to my suitcase collections.

I see those TNF duffels on the baggage claim belts a lot in the Nordic countries. The High Sierra ones are way less common but nowhere near as sturdy as TNF base camp ones.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I stumbled on a collapsible bag from Muji in Tokyo recently.

Paraglider Foldable Boston Bag Black

Packs down pretty small and for the price I can't complain.

I also have one of Sea-To-Summit's ultra-packable tote bags. Packs down to about the size of shot glass but expands to the size of a grocery bag. Serves as an excellent travel companion for toting around dirty clothes, a picnic lunch, souvenirs on the flight home, clothes for a day at the beach, etc.

I think it's this one: Ultra-Sil Sling Bag Sea to Summit
I would second this. I have one and carry it on all my trips. For international flights, i put my entertainment in this bag, then pack it in my backpack. Then I just haul the Ultra Sil out and stash my other carry on bags.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
sp

I have a paraglider bag from muji, the quality of the material has been very good. I've even checked it in a pinch and so far ( almost 3 years of semi-regular use) nothing has failed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.