Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Red Oxx Shoulder Strap

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

New Red Oxx Shoulder Strap

A heads up that Red Oxx will be introducing an additional shoulder strap this September.

The Red Oxx "Claw" strap is unsurpassed for keeping your bag "glued" to your shoulder. Sometimes, however, such as when carrying a very heavy load, it is just not very comfortable. It also can dig in too much to certain fabrics on your shirt or jacket.

Thus, many of us have turned to the Op/Tech USA "S.O.S." strap or the Tom Bihn "Absolute" strap as an alternative to use with our Red Oxx bags, as well as other gear. The Tom Bihn strap is, of course, based on the S.O.S. strap. As the S.O.S. strap is patented, Tom Bihn has an arrangement with Op/Tech and upgrades the swivel hook hardware for their version.

Red Oxx went the same route - purchasing the main body of the strap from Op/Tech and upgrading the hardware. They are using the latest, curved version, which I prefer. I have been told that the hardware on their strap will be even heavier duty than that used on the Absolute strap (what else do you expect from Red Oxx?). I am looking forward to checking out the new strap!

Last edited by Skywalker505; Jul 15, 2017 at 12:59 pm
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Finally ^
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:50 pm

New strap

I have TB's strap (curved) and found it annoying in that I had to make sure each time I slung the bag on my shoulder that it was oriented correctly. I bought a straight OpTec strap from Amazon and liked it much more, same wonderful give but no upslope/downslope orientation issues on my shoulder. Glad Red Oxx will be offering an option, even if it is the curved version.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Let me ask: why do people prefer shoulder straps vs backpack straps? So strange to me.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by penguino
I have TB's strap (curved) and found it annoying in that I had to make sure each time I slung the bag on my shoulder that it was oriented correctly. I bought a straight OpTec strap from Amazon and liked it much more, same wonderful give but no upslope/downslope orientation issues on my shoulder. Glad Red Oxx will be offering an option, even if it is the curved version.
I have seen many people incorrectly orienting a curved strap (not implying that you are included; just saying). It may seem counter-intuitive, but the correct way to position a curved strap is to have the shorter, concave side of the strap closer to the bag, rather than your neck.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chx1975
Let me ask: why do people prefer shoulder straps vs backpack straps? So strange to me.
Say what?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:22 am

Cool to see this option now. Does anyone have both the TB and RO versions? I'd be interested to see how the hardware compares in terms of weight and durability.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:58 am

Good move - the TB strap was a necessary upgrade when I got the miniboss. When heavy the claw strap was punishing!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Cool to see this option now. Does anyone have both the TB and RO versions? I'd be interested to see how the hardware compares in terms of weight and durability.
As I said, "A heads up that Red Oxx will be introducing an additional shoulder strap this September"
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Skywalker505
As I said, "A heads up that Red Oxx will be introducing an additional shoulder strap this September"
Oops, didn't read carefully enough as Wimbledon was on at the same time
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Oops, didn't read carefully enough as Wimbledon was on at the same time
Federer caught some lucky breaks in the tournament: Nadal was upset, Murray lost because of an injury, and Djokovic withdrew because of an injury.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:09 pm

Do you mean a solo shoulder strap where the bag hangs like a satchel/briefcase vs two backpack straps? Sometimes I wear a shoulder bag and backpack at the same time.

I like backpack straps for heavy loads. The backpack can't protrude too much (large depth or too squared off by shoulders and waist) or I end up hitting people when turning in crowds. It can make more sense to wear the backpack in front in crowds or if it is a short distance, two straps slung on forearm, held in front of my midsection.

Shoulder strap mode can look a little more professional and is better for really crowded areas but carrying a heavy load on the single strap for long intervals can hurt my neck and shoulder muscles.

Op/Tech also makes an S.O.S Mini which is useful for small(er) but heavy bags.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Good move. The Claw that came with my MiniBoss went to SO's laptop case (she's happy) and I got myself an OpTech for the MiniBoss (I'm happy)

As for backpack straps - backpacks are just not part of any business outfit.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: Platinum
I will stowaway my backpack straps on my Skytrain when boarding a plane. Less things to snag, easier to slide overhead.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
This will be useful on briefcases, though I actually kind of prefer the claw on the Air Boss, for slippage issues. It is kind of hard to pack the Mini Boss so heavy that the Claw is ever uncomfortable, so I'm keeping it on there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.