Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:48 pm

Numerous International trips. Always use carry-on bags. Eagle Creek Switchback. 43.5 inches, 6 1/2 pounds, and straps to use as a backpack for those cobblestone streets. No problem on US-based aircraft. Easy to roll. Easy to carry.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
What do the airline crews use? I might just look into those since they travel DAILY

I always see them with fairly sturdy looking black carry-ons with single-direction wheels..which actually says alot to me.

I think the modern trend of 360-free-wheeling wheels are quite flimsy and likely prone to wear and break if used long time. It's convenient to be able to roll a luggage upright in any direction but I think the durability suffers quite a bit and maybe this is why you never see any airline crew use these types of luggage....
Luggageworks. Great bags-super heavy.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Boogie711

I'm sorry, but I had a tough time reading this through the self-righteousness... perhaps you'd care to try again?

True story - two weeks ago I'm in Peru on business. There's a general strike, and rather than being driven to the airport, I join a long line of travelers WALKING the last mile.

Let me remind you - I'm in Peru. Cobblestones. Narrow streets. Dirt, dust, heat - and I'm at altitude.

As it was, I popped my Gate8 Cabinmate on my back, deployed the backpack straps, and took off. Wandered right through the crowds, over the cobblestones, over the broken curbs... and caught my flight. If I solely had wheeled luggage, I'd still be there, crying in a tired, dusty heap.
No self-righteousness. its called facts. but thank for providing the one scenario where having wheels may not be as efficient to have. gold star for you!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by peterk814
No self-righteousness. its called facts.
Other facts:
Areas where wheels are a hindrance:
- Lugging your bag unto a bus.
- taking your bag across a sidewalk.
- walking across snow.
- walking across grass.
- walking across cobblestones.
- walking across carpet.
- dealing with a broken wheel.
- navigating down a narrow aircraft aisle.

Areas where wheels are 'caveman superior'

- perfectly smooth airport terminals.
And.... we're done.

Thanks for playing.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:28 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Other facts:
Areas where wheels are a hindrance:
- Lugging your bag unto a bus.
- taking your bag across a sidewalk.
- walking across snow.
- walking across grass.
- walking across cobblestones.
- walking across carpet.
- dealing with a broken wheel.
- navigating down a narrow aircraft aisle.

Areas where wheels are 'caveman superior'

- perfectly smooth airport terminals.
And.... we're done.

Thanks for playing.
What did I miss when you walk with luggage with no wheels or wheels that make carrying them worse, the extra appendage? Do the no wheel lift themselves onto bus, levitate so you don't have to carry them across grass, cobblestones, etc. etc.

I agree that spinning wheels are more prone to breakage, but shouldn't the buyer choose with end usage and risk in mind.

It is early in my B&R life, but so far the spinners beat out my two decade hold Hartmann two wheeler I know for many $ is important, then again balance the value, sometimes you got to pay a lot for something, for some worth it, others have their other values.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by chipmaster
What did I miss when you walk with luggage with no wheels or wheels that make carrying them worse, the extra appendage? Do the no wheel lift themselves onto bus, levitate so you don't have to carry them across grass, cobblestones, etc. etc.
Read the descriptions of most wheeled luggage -- it will talk about "Grab Handles" not "Carry Handles." As an experiment, try using one to carry your roller/spinner from after clearing security to your plane.

My bag doesn't levitate, it is comfortably on my back so when I need to get on a bus or train I just get on. When I come to some construction and am forced onto an uneven cobblestone street, I just keep going. Stairs ahead? No problem.

Somebody made a snark about chiropractors upthread -- I would guess if you routinely use a backpack style bag you likely have less chance of hurting your back -- you are exercising your core muscles as you carry. You're more likely to have issues lifting that heavy roller into the overhead.

I would say, though, that is argument is silly -- different people have different needs. If you always go from plane to taxi/Uber/Lyft to your chain hotel and back then a roller (or spinner) will work for you.

If you travel as I do (and as some of the other no wheelers who posted here) I am taking public transportation to my charming, out of the way hotel in a cobblestoned European city. A roller is a problem and a spinner nigh impossible. That is not even considering train/subway stations (or hotels) with out elevators or escalators.

The key is getting a bag with good backpack straps and good weight distribution. I got some tips from a friend who is a serious backpacker and that helped a lot.

And BTW, I am a 60+ overweight, fairly out of shape person. If I can lose the wheels then most anybody can.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Asian carriers commonly limit weight allowances for carry-ons. EVA allows 7kg or 15 pounds. I fly that airline enough that I have changed my carry-on to ditch the wheels. I think having a bag that can be carried as a backpack is a definite advantage.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Austrian Airlines weighed our luggage today. 8 kg was the max for being allowed to take it on board. My husband's suitcase exceeded this weight. Thus they insisted that he check it.
Last time I took an Air New Zealand flight my hand luggage was weighed. The weight limit was 7 kg. So not having a roller bag makes a huge difference.

I always got the impression that weighing hand luggage was pretty common practice especially on intra country or intra region flights.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Skywalker505
Except that I consider a 9+lb bag with wheels and a handle, which reduce useable volume and add needless weight, non-functional.

And, if I do carry a sport coat, it is folded, cinched and packed such that it does not move or get wrinkled. The last thing I would want to do would be to remove it from the bag and then refold and it pack it again. Also, I do not own a sport coat that weighs 5lbs and if you do it must be lead-lined.
One of the thing I like about my B&R Carry On (Verb Fuse)

is the fact that it has wheels, handle, and a flat base. That, the recommendations about the brand on here and the warranty were what sold it to me Whilst I'll happily admit that it isn't the lightest thing out there it is built to last. It does also come with a lifetime warranty just in case. Although this won't be to the taste of everyone it was to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.