Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?

Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?

Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
If you can lift your bag into the overhead you should be able to carry it down the aisle. I find it frustrating that people will spend large amounts of time and struggle in order to roll a bag for 50 feet rather than just picking it up and quickly moving it to their seat or the jetway.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: QF
If you can't lift it and comfortably carry your bag you're a taking way too much with you. Age and size not withstanding, if you can't take it then you can't take it.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by peterk814
When was the last time your carry on was even weighed by an airline carrier?
Every time I fly Lufthansa.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
You guys are talking about 2-3lbs overweight. So if its weighed by the airline and we are talking 2-3lbs, you take 2-3 lbs out of your bag and stuff it in your pocket or in your jacket. My point is, 2-3 lbs is a write off. That shouldn't decide what bag youre going to buy vs functionality.

And I agree if you cant physically lift your own bag into the overhead you shouldnt be packing it with that much stuff
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:39 pm

You guys are talking about 2-3lbs overweight. So if its weighed by the airline and we are talking 2-3lbs, you take 2-3 lbs out of your bag and stuff it in your pocket or in your jacket. My point is, 2-3 lbs is a write off. That shouldn't decide what bag youre going to buy vs functionality.

And I agree if you cant physically lift your own bag into the overhead you shouldnt be packing it with that much stuff
No, we are talking 4-5lbs. (that B&R is 9+lbs, empty), which is significant.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:01 pm

My point is, 2-3 lbs is a write off. That shouldn't decide what bag youre going to buy vs functionality.

Weight is part of a bag's functionality. The only thing I can't get in a < 6.5 lb wheeled (even 4 wheeled) bag is probably a suiter sleeve or more hardy materials suitable for repeated checking. Low weight and carrying comfort becomes even more critical to me when it is non-wheeled bag as I will be carrying it on my body, possibly standing in a long non-moving line, crowded urban areas, or terrain not suited to wheels.

2-3 lbs could be 10-15% of allowed carry-on weight on some carriers. I would prefer not to have to pull out the contents and wear them or try to fit a laptop/toiletries in my pockets. It can make sense to re-shift some weight towards the front or waist when doing long treks with a non-wheeled bag.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Skywalker505
No, we are talking 4-5lbs. (that B&R is 9+lbs, empty), which is significant.
Compared to what bag that has the same amount of functionality?

Again insignificant. youre talking about wearing your sport coat momentarily while they weight your bag and then stuffing it back into your bag.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:43 am

What do the airline crews use? I might just look into those since they travel DAILY

I always see them with fairly sturdy looking black carry-ons with single-direction wheels..which actually says alot to me.

I think the modern trend of 360-free-wheeling wheels are quite flimsy and likely prone to wear and break if used long time. It's convenient to be able to roll a luggage upright in any direction but I think the durability suffers quite a bit and maybe this is why you never see any airline crew use these types of luggage....
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
What do the airline crews use? I might just look into those since they travel DAILY

I always see them with fairly sturdy looking black carry-ons with single-direction wheels..which actually says alot to me.

I think the modern trend of 360-free-wheeling wheels are quite flimsy and likely prone to wear and break if used long time. It's convenient to be able to roll a luggage upright in any direction but I think the durability suffers quite a bit and maybe this is why you never see any airline crew use these types of luggage....
They also get deals with certain brands of luggage which is why you see them with a lot of travelpro (not my favorite brand). But i agree. less moving parts, less things to break. i fly over 150 times a year. been using the same B&R roller carry on for the last 8 years. Never a single issue. Over a million miles on that bag all over the world. My samsonite spinner lasted a year.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:31 pm

They also get deals with certain brands of luggage which is why you see them with a lot of travelpro (not my favorite brand). But i agree. less moving parts, less things to break. i fly over 150 times a year. been using the same B&R roller carry on for the last 8 years. Never a single issue. Over a million miles on that bag all over the world. My samsonite spinner lasted a year.
Sounds good. And I assume B&R is Briggs and Riley? ANd wow looking at those prices!!! But if you travel that much it's definitely useful to invest in a very nice luggage.

I'm glad to hear you had the same experience as the "spinners" as that is what I'm afraid of when choosing luggage.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:10 pm

Compared to what bag that has the same amount of functionality?

Again insignificant. youre talking about wearing your sport coat momentarily while they weight your bag and then stuffing it back into your bag.
Except that I consider a 9+lb bag with wheels and a handle, which reduce useable volume and add needless weight, non-functional.

And, if I do carry a sport coat, it is folded, cinched and packed such that it does not move or get wrinkled. The last thing I would want to do would be to remove it from the bag and then refold and it pack it again. Also, I do not own a sport coat that weighs 5lbs and if you do it must be lead-lined.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I think we have a couple of arguments going on simultaneously

For me, on a typical trip: Wheelless (i.e. backpack style) > Traditional roller > Spinner

However, sometimes I am forced to check a bag (carrying liquids or other chancy stuff) or even if there is a significant chance having to check, I don't feel comfortable checking my lightweight wheelless, so I use a (relatively) lightweight Eagle Creek roller bag I got at REI a number of years ago.

I did use a B&R roller for probably 15 years and really had no problem with it except it was so darn heavy. Wandering around Europe, getting on and off trains, trams, buses, etc. as well as staying in small hotels without an elevator that weight just took it's toll.

I got Hartmann spinner as a MM gift from Delta and just didn't like it. It was heavier than I liked (though lighter than the B&R), was a pain to roll it over anything but perfectly flat surfaces and would constantly try and run away You had to keep your hand on it at all times when on a bus, train, etc. -- the slightest bump and it would take off. If they had some sort of wheel lock I probably would have lived with it...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

huge market share of biggest companies? samsonite acquired tumi for example

i started buying B&R after losing wheel and pocket on first trip with a samsonite

so far the one repair ive needed i got done free at local B&R partner
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Skywalker505
Except that I consider a 9+lb bag with wheels and a handle, which reduce useable volume and add needless weight, non-functional.

And, if I do carry a sport coat, it is folded, cinched and packed such that it does not move or get wrinkled. The last thing I would want to do would be to remove it from the bag and then refold and it pack it again. Also, I do not own a sport coat that weighs 5lbs and if you do it must be lead-lined.
Have fun at the chiropractors lugging around your bag trading space for wheels and handles. You know..those things that cavemen invented as part of technology.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Have fun at the chiropractors lugging around your bag trading space for wheels and handles. You know..those things that cavemen invented as part of technology.
I'm sorry, but I had a tough time reading this through the self-righteousness... perhaps you'd care to try again?

True story - two weeks ago I'm in Peru on business. There's a general strike, and rather than being driven to the airport, I join a long line of travelers WALKING the last mile.

Let me remind you - I'm in Peru. Cobblestones. Narrow streets. Dirt, dust, heat - and I'm at altitude.

As it was, I popped my Gate8 Cabinmate on my back, deployed the backpack straps, and took off. Wandered right through the crowds, over the cobblestones, over the broken curbs... and caught my flight. If I solely had wheeled luggage, I'd still be there, crying in a tired, dusty heap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.