Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:28 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Skywalker505
Yes, "perfect" if you prefer to travel with a rigid case with wheels that weighs in excess of 9 lbs empty.
For now my go to bag, mine is never empty but not a problem full either 💪
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
For the commenters who say, "ditch the wheels," that isn't possible for many travelers. Age, being short, mobility problems, arm injuries, or other issues prevent many from using non-wheeled bags. I agree with the others that the pocket or attachment strap being WIDE enough solves the problem of removing a second item from the extended handle of the main bag.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Yes, "perfect" if you prefer to travel with a rigid case with wheels that weighs in excess of 9 lbs empty.
Im still a normal functioning adult that can lift 9lbs over my head dont worry. 2-3lbs of difference dont really mean much to me
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by peterk814
Im still a normal functioning adult that can lift 9lbs over my head dont worry. 2-3lbs of difference dont really mean much to me
More likely 4-5Lbs heavier than the packs I normally carry. It has nothing to do with how much weight I am physically able to carry and everything to do with how much more stuff a lighter bag allows me to pack and carry on board (in this case, 4-5lbs more, which is significant).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Handles & wheels add weight and volume which means less packing space. It's that simple.

Make your own choice. If you can't carry a bag, then use one with wheels & a handle and accept the fact that you have less space or will need to check. Otherwise, learn to pack better and carry the thing.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
More likely 4-5Lbs heavier than the packs I normally carry. It has nothing to do with how much weight I am physically able to carry and everything to do with how much more stuff a lighter bag allows me to pack and carry on board (in this case, 4-5lbs more, which is significant).
When was the last time your carry on was even weighed by an airline carrier?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Two weeks ago. Luckily my charm prevented a belly-check.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:40 pm

Ever flown Ryanair?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:41 pm

Who cares what a rolling carryon weighs? The wheels make the point moot. A 2 or 3 pound difference means nothing. And for those who eschew wheels for the sake of weight, wow, what a waste.

Exactly. I calculate I've taken 500 flights in my life in dozens of countries on scores of airlines and I have never, not once, been challenged or had my rolling carry-on weighed by an airline carrier. Hundreds of friends and work colleagues, same thing, weight has never been an issue, ever.

It's like Ryanair needs a separate forum so it's passengers can stop posting misleading information for the millions of other passengers on hundreds of other airlines that simply do not weigh luggage. Enough already. We don't fly Ryanair so it does not apply to us.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You must not fly very much in Europe.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:29 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You must not fly very much in Europe.
Agree. Lufthansa, for one, has weighed my carry on luggage. Our bags were also weighed coming out of Myanmar. It's happened several times where on checking in at the ticket counter we've been asked to put our carry on bags on the scales. We are given a carry on tag once weighed.

I try to use cases that weigh less than 5 lbs. I want to be able to lift my suitcase into the overhead compartment. It's easier when it's lighter.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by boltjames
Who cares what a rolling carryon weighs? The wheels make the point moot. A 2 or 3 pound difference means nothing. And for those who eschew wheels for the sake of weight, wow, what a waste.

Exactly. I calculate I've taken 500 flights in my life in dozens of countries on scores of airlines and I have never, not once, been challenged or had my rolling carry-on weighed by an airline carrier. Hundreds of friends and work colleagues, same thing, weight has never been an issue, ever.

It's like Ryanair needs a separate forum so it's passengers can stop posting misleading information for the millions of other passengers on hundreds of other airlines that simply do not weigh luggage. Enough already. We don't fly Ryanair so it does not apply to us.
Well, I don't fly Ryanair either, but if you fly internationally you must have noticed that the carriers are becoming much more restrictive as to what is acceptable as a carry-on. As a matter of fact, a few years ago there was discussion among several European airlines about standardizing carry-on size at 19" x 12" x 6.5". That is what prompted Red Oxx to develop the Mini Boss, which is precisely that size (and has been a huge seller). I suppose you will gripe that it is not a spinner with a telescoping handle.

I stopped checking baggage years ago and then ditched the carry-on bags with wheels. I can travel for weeks with a 3lb-4lb bag or pack and, if I really want to go all out, I may also carry a personal item on board. As I said, my idea of a "perfect" bag (as that B&R bag was described) is not a rigid one with wheels and a handle that weighs in excess of 9lbs empty.

I am really looking forward to flying with the new Goruck GR3 at the end of the year, when it is released. It is a 45L backpack that is built like a tank and weighs 4lbs. I also enjoy flying with the 45L Tom Bihn Aeronaut, which weighs 3lbs or, on shorter trips, the 30L Aeronaut, which weighs about 2.5lbs. That's my idea of "perfect". If you want to argue the point further, knock your self out.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite

I stopped checking baggage years ago and then ditched the carry-on bags with wheels. I can travel for weeks with a 3lb-4lb bag or pack and, if I really want to go all out, I may also carry a personal item on board. As I said, my idea of a "perfect" bag (as that B&R bag was described) is not a rigid one with wheels and a handle that weighs in excess of 9lbs empty.

I am really looking forward to flying with the new Goruck GR3 at the end of the year, when it is released. It is a 45L backpack that is built like a tank and weighs 4lbs. I also enjoy flying with the 45L Tom Bihn Aeronaut, which weighs 3lbs or, on shorter trips, the 30L Aeronaut, which weighs about 2.5lbs. That's my idea of "perfect". If you want to argue the point further, knock your self out.
Well said!

Just to add a few airlines that have weighed my cabin bag as a matter of policy:

China Air
Singapore Air
Turkish

The bottom line, imo, is that flying is stressful so I try to minimize the physical stress of it as much as I can.
That way, when irrops happen I have the energy to smile and speak politely.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boltjames
I've been challenged on a backpack in SHA, back before they built the new PVG airport.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:31 am
Community Director Emerita

Austrian Airlines weighed our luggage today. 8 kg was the max for being allowed to take it on board. My husband's suitcase exceeded this weight. Thus they insisted that he check it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.