Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Lock requirement...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

TSA Lock requirement...

If I exclusively fly to places outside the US, is a TSA approved (non)lock still required?

I'm considering lightening my carryon by checking some of my gadgets, but want to properly lock my suitcase.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:12 pm

As far as I know, only the US requires a TSA-approved lock (which makes sense, as the TSA is a US-only institution). Elsewhere travelers can still use real luggage locks.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:04 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Frankly, all locks are easily cut with proper tools (so it really only adds a slight deterrent or "keep it closed" approach). I've given up on locks and gone to zip ties. If security wants to cut it open, they won't cut off the lock (which they do regardless of whether it's "TSA approved"). But it adds enough deterrent to the "open quick and see" theft approach.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I traveled internationally on the weekend (non US) and had my TSA lock cut off my suitcase - I assume by officials.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by gwade
Frankly, all locks are easily cut with proper tools (so it really only adds a slight deterrent or "keep it closed" approach). I've given up on locks and gone to zip ties. If security wants to cut it open, they won't cut off the lock (which they do regardless of whether it's "TSA approved"). But it adds enough deterrent to the "open quick and see" theft approach.
I use Zipties as well. Mostly for keeping zippers closed and to make my suitcases tamper evident.

With zippered luggage, the weakest security link is the zipper, making a lock a moot point.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking around for a new suitcase, and will go for a hard shell, non zippered type. problem is that all the ones I've seen so far won't even take a separate lock, let alone a ziptie...Except for the FPM Bank, but that is rather expensive.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
What gadgets are you thinking of putting in your checked luggage?
Some items are not allowed by the airline or the countries involved.
Some items are prime targets for theft.
Is checking a bag necessary as the time consumed in doing so adds up?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
I'm looking around for a new suitcase, and will go for a hard shell, non zippered type. problem is that all the ones I've seen so far won't even take a separate lock, let alone a ziptie...Except for the FPM Bank, but that is rather expensive.
When I need to check luggage, I like to use my trusty Pelican case. I have an old 1510 with lid organizer, but they have newer light-weight units now also.

http://www.pelican.com/ca/en/pro/air/

They have a hole for use with a lock or ziptie or other tamper-evident tags.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:50 am

I always lock my luggage with either luggage lock, zip ties, or both. The way I use them doesn't prevent someone from opening my luggage by breaching the zippers but it does prevent them from covering their tracks without cutting the ties or opening the lock.

Shak

Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
What gadgets are you thinking of putting in your checked luggage?
Some items are not allowed by the airline or the countries involved.
Some items are prime targets for theft.
Is checking a bag necessary as the time consumed in doing so adds up?

I know there are many one-bag advocates out here. To me checking a bag does the following:
- I don't have to worry about stuff I can't take in my carry-on. No limits on liquids, my swiss army knife can stay with me, so can many other things.
- Checking bag usually adds about 2 minutes to my train-to-gate dash in ZRH.
- Don't have to worry about where I will put whatever I buy on the trip...

What I want to do is since I am checking a suitcase is making my carry-on lighter. So in the suitcase go powersupplies, a powerstrip and socket adaptors, my bluetooth speakers, and my second screen. And sometimes my second laptop...

The pelican case idea looks interesting.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
The new Pelican Airs are awesome.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by EditingFX
The new Pelican Airs are awesome.
INDEED

I bought the air version of my 1650 (now 1615) and 1510 (now 1535) and the weight difference when empty is very noticible.
I use both a TSA lock and a wire tie in the two lock holes
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
INDEED

I bought the air version of my 1650 (now 1615) and 1510 (now 1535) and the weight difference when empty is very noticible.
I use both a TSA lock and a wire tie in the two lock holes
Are there any lid organisers that would fit the Pelican Air? I quick search didn't turn up anyting yet.

I'm starting to design the ultimate "suitcase to live out of" for my business trips.

A pelican case would probably be a good base. Provided it has the right dimensions so I can put something like a "Riser" collabisble shelf in one half of the bottom, divide up the other half for my gadgets (just added a small coffee maker to the load). And some kind of organiser in the lid.

Does this make sense?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Locks are an invitation to theft. They are a signal to anyone who has access to the bag at departure, connection and arrival that you have something of value in the bag.

Use a tie if you are concerned about the bag popping open. If you aren't concerned about that, don't bother locking at all.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
Are there any lid organisers that would fit the Pelican Air? I quick search didn't turn up anyting yet.

I'm starting to design the ultimate "suitcase to live out of" for my business trips.

A pelican case would probably be a good base. Provided it has the right dimensions so I can put something like a "Riser" collabisble shelf in one half of the bottom, divide up the other half for my gadgets (just added a small coffee maker to the load). And some kind of organiser in the lid.

Does this make sense?
I moved mine over. However securing them took a little Mcguyvering(sp).

What you are planning to do was what we had to do to secure and protect our photo lighting gear in the 1650 for air shipping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.