Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

tumi durability - stress test, and briggs

Old Apr 17, 17, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I have been a big fan of tumi, but recently I was dared to put a laptop and see if it would survive a fall. Well, i did better, i posted a video on an online video site in which i ran over the tumi with my SUV.
The laptop inside worked, but the screen was damaged. The laptop didnt have a scratch. I was very impressed with tumi despite the damage. The bag was unscathed, with no damage at all.

I have previously dropped laptop bags, and never had damage with my tumi, but I have also not been impressed with the service for repairs, esp with the strap. I think they last a long time however.

I consider going to briggs, but i dont like the style, but i hear wonders of their service. I am going to stick with tumi for now, i just wish they had unlimited lifetime service.
Old Apr 17, 17, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Good luck to you for spending so much money on designer luggage. I buy mine from Bed Bath and Beyond for no more than $80 a piece. Current one has lasted 3 years so far. I have added a bag tracker and it always finds its way home to me. Loads of scratches and marks... but who cares....
Old Apr 17, 17, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I have had a Tumi Super Leger international for two years (that I bought for 50% off on sale - so about $200) and am now on my second bag (replaced for free by Tumi for broken zipper) and second handle on the second bag (replaced at Tumi store when it broke off). So far if it wasn't for their warranty policy I'd never buy Tumi again.

The matching briefcase costs something like $550 which is insane considering that the suitcase version is less than that.
Old Apr 18, 17, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I ran over my iPhone in a Sena thin leather sleeve with my car (accidentally). The screen wasn't quite flat but I gave it a push and it was fine after that. I think more may depend on the surface its on an exact angle rather than the bag.
Old Apr 24, 17, 8:23 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 11x Southwest Companion Pass Status/ Hilton Lifetime Diamond/ Hertz PC; Iberia Oro
Tumi quality isn't commensurate with their price. I have a Briggs Carryon and have experienced a huge difference in quality.
Old Apr 24, 17, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by feysul View Post
Tumi quality isn't commensurate with their price. I have a Briggs Carryon and have experienced a huge difference in quality.
My Kirkland Signature carry-on quality isn't commensurate with price either.
Quality-wise, I'd say it's worth at least double what I paid