Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

buying rimowa in germany

buying rimowa in germany

Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
buying rimowa in germany

I will be in Germany in two weeks and looking to buy Rimowa while there to bring back to US. Looking for some help with a 78cm case

arriving DUS and departing FRA 10 days later. I would like to buy in Frankfurt (airport?) for ease of traveling with two suitcases (one being the suitcase that I use)

should I buy at the LH worldshop or at a retailer in Frankfurt? Is there a warranty that is usable in the US for LH branded Rimowa (at Rimowa stores for wheel replacement?)

any final thoughts on Alu vs poly? I like Alu but maybe I am missing something
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:27 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
You will likely find Rimowa pricing in Germany to be fairly consistent across retailers at MSRP. It is currently, with the exchange rate, a bit cheaper than in the US, which I assume is why you're wanting to buy it here in Germany

I cannot speak personally to the warranty question, but this thread has some information: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rranty-us.html

Regarding the choice between poly and aluminum you must know that the aluminum cases, while beautiful, do not stand up well to being checked. Since you are looking at a 78cm case, you are surely checking it. It will protect your items, but it will also get very substantially scratched and dented within just a few trips. I see many cases like this in Germany, many seem to enjoy the weathered appearance. The poly will wear in a much more conventional manner. Personally I love the aluminum but could never check one.

Enjoy your visit to Germany!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Rimowa is significantly cheaper in DE than the US. Once you apply for a VAT refund the price is easily 30% less than US prices.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:06 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Thanks for remembering the VAT refund! I always forget about it since I'm not eligible for it as a resident.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by tfred
should I buy at the LH worldshop or at a retailer in Frankfurt?
If you plan on buying in a B&M store, I'd recommend purchasing it downtown as opposed to at the worldshop. The stores downtown (I recommend Koffer Klein, located near the Hauptwache) have a wider selection. Also, I'm not exactly a fan of the LH logo on many worldshop Rimowas. Sometimes, the worldshop carries slightly older Rimowa models as well.

Another option is buying online. Check the relevant threads in this subforum. Most questions (e.g., online prices and stores; sending packages to your hotel etc.) have been discussed in some detail...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.